The Student Room Group

AQA Physics PHYA4 - Thursday 11th June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1620
Original post by JJBinn
We discussing EMPA answers? I know most of my question one was wrong, although I also put the current flows from the capacitor to Y I think. Definitely didn't put zero which apparently is the answer. I thought it meant after when it started to discharge again, so I described the charge flowing and current flowing in the opposite direction to electrons.

Me too. I don't know what the correct answer is. About 50% of people I've spoken to said no current, 25% said C2 to Y, 25% said Y to C2.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sykik
So what do you suggest... How to tackle these questions... should i get a new book or something?

Buying a new book is another challenge. I've got more textbooks than i can think. It's better to stick with the official textbook because other textbooks are not linear as the official one and so to find something is time consuming that you end up forgetting what you were looking for. I have the advanced physics textbook which is supposed to have all the content necessary for all the specification but even this fails to include all the details. I think, at the end if the day, you have to put your own reasoning on solving questions.
Again as i said, the answer is always within the question. First think about what you have and then question as to what you need to do to get to that answer. Sometimes it's difficult but that would be the only way to get away with it. And don't worry about it, it's a very rare occurrence

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Me too. I don't know what the correct answer is. About 50% of people I've spoken to said no current, 25% said C2 to Y, 25% said Y to C2.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah i think no current is the correct answer as when V2 is maximum C2 is fully charged and so there is no current around the circuit. I actually chose no current but i had a different reasoning in mind

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223

Posted from TSR Mobile

Pretty much everybody said no current that I spoke to, I had written those marks off but maybe I will get them :biggrin:

The exam just got off to a horrible start for me because my best fit line made it so that my tangent at V1=V2 had already turned and I got a tiny negative answer for the gradient. Wasn't any point changing it all because by that point I'd drawn various lines on my graph and I knew I'd probably end up with a similar result if I redrew the tangent. I don't think they do follow through marks so I've instantly lost about 4-6 marks.
Reply 1624
Original post by JJBinn
Pretty much everybody said no current that I spoke to, I had written those marks off but maybe I will get them :biggrin:

The exam just got off to a horrible start for me because my best fit line made it so that my tangent at V1=V2 had already turned and I got a tiny negative answer for the gradient. Wasn't any point changing it all because by that point I'd drawn various lines on my graph and I knew I'd probably end up with a similar result if I redrew the tangent. I don't think they do follow through marks so I've instantly lost about 4-6 marks.

Hmm. I knew I was wrong on the capacitor questions. Section A was pretty solid in terms of theory questions for the SHM spring experiment too. I just want to see the MS for both sections haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Hmm. I knew I was wrong on the capacitor questions. Section A was pretty solid in terms of theory questions for the SHM spring experiment too. I just want to see the MS for both sections haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I messed up on the 3 mark question in task 1 as i failed to see the how to link two different equations without dealing with spring constant

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223

Posted from TSR Mobile

I didn't think section A was so bad. I might've messed up though on one of the 3 markers where it said to assess the student's prediction or something. I basically did a load of calculations with my own data and compared and wrote some stuff, the numbers all worked but I don't know if that's what they're looking for. Probably wasn't specific enough on describing how I reduced the parallex error at the end either, they're harsh mark schemes.

I'm sure you've done fine, your answers to section B seem reasonable. I got 1.54% for the % error at the end and don't see where I'd've gone wrong though. The uncertainty was l1 and l2, so I worked out the percentage uncertainty in both, added them together and then divided it by 2 as they were square rooted.
Original post by CD223
The capacitor stores half the energy of the supply. Your derivation assumes all the energy from the supply is stored by the capacitor, which isn't the case.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why is that?
Original post by JJBinn
I didn't think section A was so bad. I might've messed up though on one of the 3 markers where it said to assess the student's prediction or something. I basically did a load of calculations with my own data and compared and wrote some stuff, the numbers all worked but I don't know if that's what they're looking for. Probably wasn't specific enough on describing how I reduced the parallex error at the end either, they're harsh mark schemes.

I'm sure you've done fine, your answers to section B seem reasonable. I got 1.54% for the % error at the end and don't see where I'd've gone wrong though. The uncertainty was l1 and l2, so I worked out the percentage uncertainty in both, added them together and then divided it by 2 as they were square rooted.

For the question about how the student calculated the DVD mass I did exactly the same as you, I just used my data to show what the student would do with theirs. The DVD mass with my data came out to be 12.5g (it said to show it was about 13g).

For section B, I think you had to add the absolute uncertainties of l1 and l2 (you can't add % uncertainties unless you are multiplying or dividing).
Original post by sam_97
For the question about how the student calculated the DVD mass I did exactly the same as you, I just used my data to show what the student would do with theirs. The DVD mass with my data came out to be 12.5g (it said to show it was about 13g).

For section B, I think you had to add the absolute uncertainties of l1 and l2 (you can't add % uncertainties unless you are multiplying or dividing).

Yeah mine came out similarly to yours, it definitely rounded to 13 too. I hope we get the marks haha.

Hmmm I see, I probably did get it wrong because lots of people got a value of 2-3. There was too much room for error in that paper and not enough marks imo.
Original post by JJBinn
Yeah mine came out similarly to yours, it definitely rounded to 13 too. I hope we get the marks haha.

Hmmm I see, I probably did get it wrong because lots of people got a value of 2-3. There was too much room for error in that paper and not enough marks imo.

There was a completely theoretical approach to that question with which you didn't need any measurements from yours to calculate the mass of the DVD.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1631
Original post by Mehrdad jafari
There was a completely theoretical approach to that question with which you didn't need any measurements from yours to calculate the mass of the DVD.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah my calculation for the 3.1% and 3.3% increase was cancelled down into:

[br]((1.031)2×m)m[br][br]\left(\left(1.031\right)^{2} \times m\right) - m[br]

And

[br]((1.033)2×m)m[br][br]\left(\left(1.033\right)^{2} \times m\right) - m[br]

Where m = 200g

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know but it's possible they might accept either method
Reply 1633
Original post by CD223
Ah I just use past papers. I've done all bar 2013 papers now.

Have you got any predictions for the six marker?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow =O even though the exam is still so (relatively) far away?

Hmmm, no particular predictions, but our physics teacher gave us a nice list of past six markers with a few possible future ones. I'm just writing out answers to those and comparing with friends which I find is quite helpful. How about yourself?
Reply 1635

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cheers bro... Yeah you're right it must be rare to ask these kind of questions as all the past papers i have done seem reasonably easy
Reply 1636
Original post by Somniare
Wow =O even though the exam is still so (relatively) far away?

Hmmm, no particular predictions, but our physics teacher gave us a nice list of past six markers with a few possible future ones. I'm just writing out answers to those and comparing with friends which I find is quite helpful. How about yourself?

Oh nice! Would you mind sharing what his predictions were?

I'm left with PPs and the revision guide :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1637
Usually I'm okay with these questions, but this one has stumped me:

Jan 2013 - any takers?

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1431939265.527632.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
using M = Mass of moon, m = mass of earth, R = radius of moon and r = radius of earth

Gm/(r^2) = 6 GM/(R^2) (gravitational field strength)

0.6 m/(4/3*pi*r^3) = M/(4/3*pi*R^3) (density)

We can then cancel out to get

m/r^3 = 0.6 M/R^3
m/r^2 = 6 M/R^2

Dividing the second set by the first set gives

r = 6/0.6R
r/R = 10
Original post by CD223
Oh nice! Would you mind sharing what his predictions were?

I'm left with PPs and the revision guide :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sure! I'll take a photo later

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending