Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

AQA Physics PHYA5 - Thursday 18th June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread] Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by donutellme)
    Attachment 430659

Attachment 430659430667

Why is the mass of hydrogen 1.00728?
    That Hydrogen only contains 1 proton so it's just the mass of a proton.

If you remember the binding energy graph and look at where 1 nucleon is, it's approximately 0 so binding energy of the atom is approximately zero -> just the mass of a proton.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lau14)
    I don't think we're expected to know a value, we'll be given one/given information to calculate it in the exam I think.
    Ah okay thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by betbi3etwerrd)
    That Hydrogen only contains 1 proton so it's just the mass of a proton.

If you remember the binding energy graph and look at where 1 nucleon is, it's approximately 0 so binding energy of the atom is approximately zero -> just the mass of a proton.
    Yeah, but wouldn't that just be 1au?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by johnh545)
    Anyone?
    Theres more than 1 way to do this calculation however i think the easiest way to look at it is if the detector counts 0.62/s but this is only 1/400 of the photons emitted. So if the detector was on the source the count rate would be 248/s (0.62 x 400) this is the activity of the source however only a small part of it as the area of the detector is 1.5x10^-3 and the rays are emitted uniformly in all directions. The total activity of the source is how many emitted per second. As worked out in b(i) you know the ratio of the area of dectector to area of emitted rays. So use 248 ÷ this (3.684x10^-3) and you get 67000 Bq

ReputationRep:
    How do you work out the corrected count rate?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by donutellme)
    Yeah, but wouldn't that just be 1au?
    In this case it's just one proton so you just look at the mass of a proton from a your formula book and it gives it in u.

Definition of au is 1/12 th of the mass of a carbon atom.

ReputationRep:
    Would we need to know the experimental details of Boyles, Pressure law, Charles law. Not sure if they would ask something like draw a diagram with the apparatus to find out the relationship between ... pressure and temp etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DannySmith420)
    Theres more than 1 way to do this calculation however i think the easiest way to look at it is if the detector counts 0.62/s but this is only 1/400 of the photons emitted. So if the detector was on the source the count rate would be 248/s (0.62 x 400) this is the activity of the source however only a small part of it as the area of the detector is 1.5x10^-3 and the rays are emitted uniformly in all directions. The total activity of the source is how many emitted per second. As worked out in b(i) you know the ratio of the area of dectector to area of emitted rays. So use 248 ÷ this (3.684x10^-3) and you get 67000 Bq
    ok, but what would be the point of a detector only detecting 1 in 400 photons that hit it?

ReputationRep:
    ok, but what would be the point of a detector only detecting 1 in 400 photons that hit it?
    I'm guessing you can't get detectors that are 100% efficient.

ReputationRep:
    June 14 is a godsend. You can drop 17 marks and still get full UMS. Praying we have similar grade boundaries for tomorrow!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slaven123)
    June 14 is a godsend. You can drop 17 marks and still get full UMS. Praying we have similar grade boundaries for tomorrow!
    they tend to all have fairly low boundaries,
    more often than not anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Could someone explain the signficance of abundance of hydrogen and helium in ration 3:1 as evidence of a hot big bang?

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering, do we need to know how a black hole is formed?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    they tend to all have fairly low boundaries,
    more often than not anyway.
    Only the past two years have been properly low! But yeah, they are generally pretty nice for unit 5

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JaySP)
    Could someone explain the signficance of abundance of hydrogen and helium in ration 3:1 as evidence of a hot big bang?
    at one point universe was like the star core, and fused hydrogen to helium meaning it was very hot and dense

ReputationRep:
    6 marker predictions for astro and nuclear?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xela238)
    Just wondering, do we need to know how a black hole is formed?
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    Just that it's created at the end of the lifecycle of a star whose core is more than 3 times the sun's mass.
    This means that the neutrons can't withstand the gravitational forces and so it collapses to an infinitely dense point. This is the blackhole.

ReputationRep:
    I believe we will be getting the R paper because I just heard that the AQA Biology students got an R paper

ReputationRep:
    Someone give me a breakdown on how I should give S.F in questions which they have not asked for appropriate number of S.F

ReputationRep:
    Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1434546265.949254.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  100.7 KB

Always get stuck on these sorts of questions, can someone give me a hand please

EDIT - just realised I can equate kinetic energy and eV

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.