Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

AQA Physics PHYA5 - Thursday 18th June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread] Watch

ReputationRep:
    In a way, I want all of you to fail to bring the boundaries down. Sorry, not sorry.

ReputationRep:
    Can someone help with part B please

Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1434565502.788480.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  107.2 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ricardomontoya97)
    In a way, I want all of you to fail to bring the boundaries down. Sorry, not sorry.
    Who doesn't?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gome44)
    4πr^2 =πd^2
    Thanks, could you quickly go over hydrogen balmer absorption lines and how they are produced in the spectrum of a star please? I was confused by that question :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adangu)
    Sorry to bother but can someone help me with 1biii) and 1ci) please? http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects...1-QP-JUN14.PDF
    biii) e= deltaC^2, solve for mass after converting value found in bii) to joules

ci) directly proportional from z= 0-20
    curve up ever so slightly after wards, but mainly ensure it passes through (80, 120)

ReputationRep:
    Bumping in hope someone sees.

When talking about discharge tubes, during the discovery of electrons, some revision notes say they are produced through thermionic emission from the cathode, but others say the electrons come from the low pressure gas in the tubes being ionised due to the high potential difference, releasing electrons in the process.

Which is correct and in which context are they needed?

This is in turning points.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperMushroom)
    If you think about it.. you can write alot more on how a star can evolve depending on its solar mass, in comparison to the operation of a CCD.

If you cant then maybe you should have another look over page 173 -175 of the textbook as there is quite alot of information on stellar evolution
    Which text book is this.

Also can someone explain to me the significance of critical mass during nuclear fission.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saad97)
    Thanks, could you quickly go over hydrogen balmer absorption lines and how they are produced in the spectrum of a star please? I was confused by that question :/
    I have no idea, all I know is the occur in the classes B and A, and are cause when electrons excite from the level n=2

Praying they don't come up

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adangu)
    Sorry to bother but can someone help me with 1biii) and 1ci) please? http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects...1-QP-JUN14.PDF
    1biii use E=mc^2
    take E from part before it

1ci its just N-Z graph

ReputationRep:
    Can someone list the size of wavelengths in order.... I mean radio, uv, etc...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sbarron)
    Can someone list the size of wavelengths in order.... I mean radio, uv, etc...
    In order of decreasing wavelength...

Radio
    Micro
    Infrared
    Visible
    UV
    X Ray
    Gamma

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by betbi3etwerrd)
    Which text book is this.

Also can someone explain to me the significance of critical mass during nuclear fission.
    The CGP one,

also the critical mass is the amount of fissile material needed in order for a reaction to continue on at a steady rate

ReputationRep:
    Good luck everyone

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AR_95)
    Just a note

Ionisation Chambers, and Radiation monitoring could also come up tomorrow
    Ionisation chambers? Do you mean for testing the properties of different radiation modes?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gome44)
    I have no idea, all I know is the occur in the classes B and A, and are cause when electrons excite from the level n=2

Praying they don't come up
    I'm praying quite a lot of the stuff doesn't come up tbh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD223)

Radio
    Micro
    Infrared
    Visible
    UV
    X Ray
    Gamma

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks, thought so just couldn't remember infa red/micro cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ricardomontoya97)
    You shouldn't have to rely on others as well as luck. Work hard and create your own luck

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jackcros)
    Bumping in hope someone sees.

When talking about discharge tubes, during the discovery of electrons, some revision notes say they are produced through thermionic emission from the cathode, but others say the electrons come from the low pressure gas in the tubes being ionised due to the high potential difference, releasing electrons in the process.

Which is correct and in which context are they needed?

This is in turning points.
    This is what i think.

Electrons released from thermionic emission are accelerated though high pd. The electrin collide low pressre gas atoms which become excited. when desxcited teh emit photons (thats why they glow). Some electrons escape the atom so atoms are ionised and positivily charge therefore attract electrons again this way pd is created.

i am not sure about this is this right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD223)

Radio
    Micro
    Infrared
    Visible
    UV
    X Ray
    Gamma

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hi, something happened to the previous 6 markers on the first page. It show s a blank page. Do you mind fixing it please, I'm really desperate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a.a.k)
    Alpha tadiation starts after (120,80) i think

http://www.bbc.co.uk/staticarchive/b...bead851756.gif

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The truth is its not whats right, its what the exam board want. As far as they are concerened its definitely under the line.

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.