Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

AQA Physics PHYA5 - Thursday 18th June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread] Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lau14)
    I think you need to be able to draw the Cassegrain set up as well as the Newtonian, but otherwise you only need to know differences/pros and cons for reflectors vs referactors?
    Ah right, I see now. Thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lau14)
    AND WE ARE OFFICIALLY FINISHED!!! (with the teaching of the course anyway!)
    AHH JEL I have 11 lessons left plus my mock EMPA and real EMPA. In other words, I'll be finished in about 6 weeks haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1425494037.712985.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  108.2 KB Any idea how to do this guys?? 😩

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD223)
    AHH JEL I have 11 lessons left plus my mock EMPA and real EMPA. In other words, I'll be finished in about 6 weeks haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Nearly there though! I've got an astro test tomorrow (so I suppose that marks the official end), going to hopefully do the rough version of those revision notes tonight in preparation (which will be the first test I've revised for this year actually).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lau14)
    Nearly there though! I've got an astro test tomorrow (so I suppose that marks the official end), going to hopefully do the rough version of those revision notes tonight in preparation (which will be the first test I've revised for this year actually).
    Ah good luck! Your PHYA4 notes were excellent! Are you doing similar ones for PHYA5?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD223)
    Ah good luck! Your PHYA4 notes were excellent! Are you doing similar ones for PHYA5?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks yep, just finished the rough astro ones - the astro section has a few bits missing (sorry!) that I can remember anyway because I'm trying to condense things, but that won't be true for thermal/nuclear I don't expect.

Definitely more content in PHYA5 than PHYA4 though! ~7 sides of A4 for the whole of PHYA4 in neat... 6 sides of just astro in rough (gets longer in neat because you can actually read it!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lau14)
    Thanks yep, just finished the rough astro ones - the astro section has a few bits missing (sorry!) that I can remember anyway because I'm trying to condense things, but that won't be true for thermal/nuclear I don't expect.

Definitely more content in PHYA5 than PHYA4 though! ~7 sides of A4 for the whole of PHYA4 in neat... 6 sides of just astro in rough (gets longer in neat because you can actually read it!)
    Oh nice! Don't apologise, aha! Thank you for sharing! Are you uploading nuclear/thermal/Astro once they're done?

Sounds like there's deffo more in PHYA5! Most of PHYA4 is equations aha.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD223)
    Oh nice! Don't apologise, aha! Thank you for sharing! Are you uploading nuclear/thermal/Astro once they're done?

Sounds like there's deffo more in PHYA5! Most of PHYA4 is equations aha.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ye Aiming to get them done next week (mock on Wednesday, I'd like to do well seeing as it's the day before parents evening!), and scanned in sometime on the weekend/the week after because I'm catsitting for my grandparents next week.

Yeah most of PHYA4 is calculations and they're on the formula sheet, and getting your head around the best way to do the multiple choice!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lau14)
    Ye Aiming to get them done next week (mock on Wednesday, I'd like to do well seeing as it's the day before parents evening!), and scanned in sometime on the weekend/the week after because I'm catsitting for my grandparents next week.

Yeah most of PHYA4 is calculations and they're on the formula sheet, and getting your head around the best way to do the multiple choice!
    Nice, thank you! Ah I had my parents evening tonight! Exactly! The formula sheet isso much busier for PHYA4 than PHYA5...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD223)
    Nice, thank you! Ah I had my parents evening tonight! Exactly! The formula sheet isso much busier for PHYA4 than PHYA5...
    How'd it go? Yeah it's like 2/3 PHYA4 stuff, only a tiny bit for thermal and nuclear particularly!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lau14)
    How'd it go? Yeah it's like 2/3 PHYA4 stuff, only a tiny bit for thermal and nuclear particularly!
    It went okay! Physics teacher said he didn't need to see me so I took that as a good sign. The rest of my teachers were happy but told me I really should be revising by now which made me worry aha.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD223)
    It went okay! Physics teacher said he didn't need to see me so I took that as a good sign. The rest of my teachers were happy but told me I really should be revising by now which made me worry aha.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Our college don't really do that, you see whoever you want (which with mum is all of them...). Yeah revision is a thing :/ I'm not too worried overall but I have no clue what my physics teacher thinks of me so!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lau14)
    Our college don't really do that, you see whoever you want (which with mum is all of them...). Yeah revision is a thing :/ I'm not too worried overall but I have no clue what my physics teacher thinks of me so!
    Ah I'm sure he can't fault your effort!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD223)
    Ah I'm sure he can't fault your effort!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh he probably can up until the last few weeks at least I have however voluntarily answered questions in class this week and actually revised for this test so it's an improvement (30/35 so pretty good there was this one really awkward question though where no one really knew what it wanted, can't remember the exact wording but it was a bit vague asking about characteristics of a supernovae, a black hole and a neutron star (one mark each) and it was supposed to mean how could you identify it - so supernova was supposed to be massive increase in brightness for a short period, black hole was escape velocity faster than the speed of light but then neutron star was density equal to density of nucleus like?????? You couldn't just say very dense or any other characteristic it had to be that one and it was really stupid :| )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lau14)
    Oh he probably can up until the last few weeks at least I have however voluntarily answered questions in class this week and actually revised for this test so it's an improvement (30/35 so pretty good there was this one really awkward question though where no one really knew what it wanted, can't remember the exact wording but it was a bit vague asking about characteristics of a supernovae, a black hole and a neutron star (one mark each) and it was supposed to mean how could you identify it - so supernova was supposed to be massive increase in brightness for a short period, black hole was escape velocity faster than the speed of light but then neutron star was density equal to density of nucleus like?????? You couldn't just say very dense or any other characteristic it had to be that one and it was really stupid :| )
    That sounds so specific! Well done on the excellent score!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD223)
    That sounds so specific! Well done on the excellent score!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah the markscheme was really horrible and picky for that question :/ thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lau14)
    Yeah the markscheme was really horrible and picky for that question :/ thanks
    It's always the case :/ do you know any good online resources? I remember quite a few good YouTube channels from last year for AS but I can't find much this year...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone!

My teacher showed me this really useful website to help with our Physics revision and I thought it was best to share it with all of you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD223)
    It's always the case :/ do you know any good online resources? I remember quite a few good YouTube channels from last year for AS but I can't find much this year...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No sorry, I don't really use any :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Disney0702)
    Hello everyone!

My teacher showed me this really useful website to help with our Physics revision and I thought it was best to share it with all of you.
    Ah brilliant, thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.