AQA Physics PHYA5 - Thursday 18th June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread] Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperMushroom)
    No there is a subtle difference I believe haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
    DDD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StarvingAutist)
    Brownian motion refers to a different phenomenon, I think.
    No Brownian motion is the concept of random motion of particles (in the a level spec it is anyway)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DomRauba)
    9.5*10 ^6 ring any bells?
    Yeah, there was definitely a 9 before the point.

ReputationRep:
    Any idea for the grade boundary? The applied one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MangoFreak)
    That's agreeing with me :lol:

I hope I didn't seem particularly angry or anything haha.

AQA may in fact not allow "electromagnetic" but that would be ****ing stupid
    It kind of is the only point i'm arguing is that there is a slight difference between the two, all humans are mammals, but not all mammals are humans. That kinda concept! Lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DomRauba)
    9.5*10 ^6 ring any bells?
    yeah it had the samish radius of a earth hence a white dwarf

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chizz1889)
    No Brownian motion is the concept of random motion of particles (in the a level spec it is anyway)
    Nope it refers to motion of gas particles in an ideal gas

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Fair enough; I thought referred to the random motion of a particle suspended in a fluid.

ReputationRep:
    Hi just wondering if anyone knew:
    If a question tells you to show the value of something is approximately equal to a certain value, Would you lose marks for using the approximate value given in the question instead of your calculated value in later parts of the question?
    Cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RemainSilent)
    yeah it had the samish radius of a earth hence a white dwarf
    thanks man

ReputationRep:
    It kind of is the only point in arguing is that there is a slight difference between the two, all humans are mammals, but not all mammals are humans. That kinda concept! Lol
    More importantly, electrostatics and electromagnetics are fields of study, but both focus on conditions of the electromagnetic force, which would exist whether the fields of study were there or not

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know what the criteria for A* is? I got a B at AS but A* in the A2 ISA and most likely A*s in unit 4 and 5. Am I eligible for an A*? Or do you need an A in AS?
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    I still don't get how it can be a white dwarf when the surface temperature was so hot, I thought white dwarfs we're meant to be cool

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Nope it refers to motion of gas particles in an ideal gas

Posted from TSR Mobile
    (Original post by StarvingAutist)
    Fair enough; I thought referred to the random motion of a particle suspended in a fluid.
    Brownian motion is the motion of particles that have been suspended in a gas or liquid, resulting from their collisions with the particles of that fluid. It doesn't directly describe the motion of the fluid particles themselves.

ReputationRep:
    Was the answer strong interaction for section A question whatever

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ASDuh97)
    Anyone know what the criteria for A* is? I got a B at AS but A* in the A2 ISA and most likely A*s in unit 4 and 5. Am I eligible for an A*? Or do you need an A in AS?
    You need 80% UMS over AS and A2 (so if you got a B at AS you could still get an average of 80% with a high A at A2), and 90% over A2 units (dunno if coursework counts towards this).

ReputationRep:
    I still don't get how it can be a white dwarf when the surface temperature was so hot, I thought white dwarfs we're meant to be cool

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I think, don't quote me on this, but white dwarfs start off extremely hot and then cool to very low temperatures, so the temperature will vary quite a lot. Also on a HS diagram, dwarf stars occur from 50,000K to like 11,000K

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    if you think about the Hertzsprung Diagram white dwards are near the O and B spectral class hence a high temp (B 25000-11000 )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bricktop)
    Was the answer strong interaction for section A question whatever
    Electromagnetic/electrostatic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MangoFreak)
    Brownian motion is the motion of particles that have been suspended in a gas or liquid, resulting from their collisions with the particles of that fluid. It doesn't directly describe the motion of the fluid particles themselves.
    I literally wrote:
    The particles motion is random (Brownian motion)

Fairly sure that will get me the mark

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ASDuh97)
    Let's say you scraped a B at AS with 70% of the UMS. If you got 90% of UMS at A2 then you'll have 80% overall, meaning you can get an A*.

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.