Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

AQA Physics PHYA5 - Thursday 18th June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread] Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StarvingAutist)
    Let's say you scraped a B at AS with 70% of the UMS. If you got 90% of UMS at A2 then you'll have 80% overall, meaning you can get an A*.
    Yeah if you got exactly 70% at AS you can only get either a B or an A* overall, which is very daft! 😂

ReputationRep:
    What did people put for why fission containers where radioactive , I put absorbs neutron and gamma, neutron rich nuclei emit beta? Complete guess though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by getback339)
    What did people put for why fission containers where radioactive , I put absorbs neutron and gamma, neutron rich nuclei emit beta? Complete guess though
    The container absorbs neutrons causing it's nuclei to become unstable and emit radiation in order to become stable again

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chizz1889)
    I literally wrote:
    The particles motion is random (Brownian motion)

Fairly sure that will get me the mark
    Yeah definitely (if we're talking about the same question). If you'd just written Brownian motion you probably wouldn't have though.

ReputationRep:
    The container absorbs neutrons causing it's nuclei to become unstable and emit radiation in order to become stable again
    I put beta minus decay?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by getback339)
    I put beta minus decay?
    Yeah it will do that, but I don't think you had to be specific as it just said explain why it is so it will be:
    Neutrons absorbed(1)
    Nuclei unstable (1)

ReputationRep:
    For the 6 mark in astro I spoke about obstructions for the apparent magnitude changes and then about blue/red shift for the changing wavelength

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it will do that, but I don't think you had to be specific as it just said explain why it is so it will be:
    Neutrons absorbed(1)
    Nuclei unstable (1)
    Okay thanks, hopefully I'm fine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MangoFreak)
    Electromagnetic/electrostatic.
    Nah i remeber in a pp it was strong interaction for alpha and electromagnetic for electrons

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LeGeraldine)
    did anyone do applied?
    I did! what did you think of the paper?

ReputationRep:
    Not a bad paper I don't think, couple of difficult maths questions in in 5D, probaly 63 for full ums, 58 for and a star I would imagine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bricktop)
    Nah i remeber in a pp it was strong interaction for alpha and electromagnetic for electrons
    :lolwut: The alpha particle was deflected by the nucleus because they were both positively charged, resulting in electrostatic repulsion.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah definitely (if we're talking about the same question). If you'd just written Brownian motion you probably wouldn't have though.
    I put average speed constant and molecules move in a straight line in between collisions

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bricktop)
    You're probably getting confused between why alpha occurs, which is the electrostatic/magnetic force between the protons in the nucleus is large than the strong force keeping the nucleus together

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sbarron)
    I put average speed constant and molecules move in a straight line in between collisions
    Neither of those really work

ReputationRep:
    Neither of those really work
    Well that's what was in all my revision guides so I put that

ReputationRep:
    Medical physics anyone???

ReputationRep:
    What did people get for the black body temperature question?

ReputationRep:
    For motion of particles, i said collisions with wall of container and other particles are perfectly elastic, and the particles move rapidly and randomly?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sbarron)
    Well that's what was in all my revision guides so I put that
    Maybe I'm wrong: I do that

If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.