Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

AQA Physics PHYA5 - Thursday 18th June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread] Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD223)
    Range of alpha and beta I put as 5cm and 30cm. Do you thin k there'll be a range?

I got 3.0m for the diameter of the telescope.
    I used 3cm and 30, i looked it up and 3 should be ok but i think Beta is like 15cm which is half as much so idk, but they'll definitely be a range

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD223)
    Range of alpha and beta I put as 5cm and 30cm. Do you thin k there'll be a range?

I cannot remember what the stupid diameter question was, cos I had 3 originally, then I think I changed it to 15 because it said that its maximum resolution was whatever, and I for some reason assumed that was with the higher wavelength, but that's probably wrong lmao.

I haven't got a clue for alpha and beta; it changes all the time so likely yes

ReputationRep:
    For the absolute zero question where it asked you to 'justify your value of absolute zero found', i interpreted it as being 'repeat with greater volume and plot new pressure temp graph so same x intercept, albeit lower gradient, confirms my value instead of writing in detail( i wrote a tiny bit) about molecular movement at absolute zero.. What's right? :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD223)

I got 3 as well for diameter

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lad123)
    I used 3cm and 30, i looked it up and 3 should be ok but i think Beta is like 15cm which is half as much so idk, but they'll definitely be a range
    Ah I just remember in past papers it's said beyond 30cm a source must be gamma as remaining types will not reach this far?

I've not looked up any answers bar what's on here. I thought the star was a main sequence as its power output was similar to the sun :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doomlar)
    I cannot remember what the stupid diameter question was, cos I had 3 originally, then I think I changed it to 15 because it said that its maximum resolution was whatever, and I for some reason assumed that was with the higher wavelength, but that's probably wrong lmao.

I haven't got a clue for alpha and beta; it changes all the time so likely yes
    I stupidly said main sequence and just used 2.57AU in the first question. I also said extrapolate in the six marker despite showing a graph with a temperature scale in kelvin so I've lost so many marks :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lad123)
    I put the exact same such a dodgy question

ReputationRep:
    Did anyone mention 'self sustaining' in the describing a chain reaction question along with induced fission and neutrons released and critical mass?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by k9000)
    Did anyone mention 'self sustaining' in the describing a chain reaction question along with induced fission and neutrons released and critical mass?
    yep

ReputationRep:
    We were told to write the R on the front of our paper! They hadn't come out in the printing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD223)

Alpha was 0.1m and beta is 1m

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mrno1324)
    Wasn't the abs magnitude 1.98(1) - M = 5log(25/10)
    Well **** that 1 I added changes it significantly, do you think they'll accept it?
    Doesn't that make the absolute magnitude = -1 ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chizz1889)
    Yes they are all for the rewritten paper which you sat, they rewrite each optional paper as a safety precaution when they rewrite the section a paper
    Yes but there was no R, not in sectionA, not in sectionB

Posted from TSR Mobile[/QUOTE]

(Original post by CD223)
    I stupidly said main sequence and just used 2.57AU in the first question. I also said extrapolate in the six marker despite showing a graph with a temperature scale in kelvin so I've lost so many marks :/
    same i said main sequence by mistake, but you should be method marks saying that temp decreases from 0 to M! I only used 2.57 AU seems so obvious now! i think many people will have made silly mistakes despite it being so straight forward ie not as high grade boundaries as you may think!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sol.smith)
    We were told to write the R on the front of our paper! They hadn't come out in the printing
    Was it a request from AQA? They didn't tell us to write something and there was no R.

ReputationRep:
    For anyone who did applied, what did you get for moment of inertia before the 6 marker? I got 4.4x10^-2, but my mate got 5.something?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JAW-97)
    For anyone who did applied, what did you get for moment of inertia before the 6 marker? I got 4.4x10^-2, but my mate got 5.something?
    Fairly sure I got the same as you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emmanuel12344)
    Alpha was 0.1m and beta is 1m
    how do you know?

ReputationRep:
    Anyone got grade boundary predictions for 120 ums and A* for Nuclear and the turning points paper? I would be feeling confident if it wasn't for the blip from 2011, those grade boundaries were scarily higher than any other paper!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD223)
    Ah I just remember in past papers it's said beyond 30cm a source must be gamma as remaining types will not reach this far?

I've not looked up any answers bar what's on here. I thought the star was a main sequence as its power output was similar to the sun :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Really well maybe they do accept 30cm i hope so, obviously different sources will have different values as it varies so hopefully 30cm is in AQA's range

Poll
Which pet is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.