Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

AQA Physics PHYA5 - Thursday 18th June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread] Watch

ReputationRep:
    The 6 markers on section A and turning points were absolute gifts (if you'll pardon the pun)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emmanuel12344)
    The grade boundary was 52 for an a* last I think it will be at least 55 this year
    Yeah something like that probably, it was 58 for full UMS last year. There's no way it will go above 60 for A*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Puzzled_Logician)
    90% UMS average across three modules; so 270 ums at A2 (but you 'only' need 80% average across all modules).
    cheers, I wont get my hopes up then

ReputationRep:
    What element did we determine the nuclear density for? My answer was a tad small compared to some others I've seen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sam_97)
    Same here, especially on astro with the first question and that white dwarf one!
    I mucked up so bad ;P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doomlar)
    The number of nuclei definitely required reading off the graph, what about the density question?
    Here's what I did.

Name:  Picture1.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  157.7 KB

EDIT: There's an error in the notes as they forget to cube r0.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sam.B57)
    cheers, I wont get my hopes up then
    Ah; fair enough.

Sounds like me then. I was optimistic of an A* until I learned that the ISA counts too (just have to hope for an A* in maths now...)

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys I have to show you this

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isotopes_of_gold

ReputationRep:
    I bet I totally ****ing forgot to cube the radius in my calculator :lol:

ReputationRep:
    It's probably already been said 15 times, too lazy to check, but if you're wondering why it was 'PHY5A/1R',

This is probably the reason --> http://www.theguardian.com/education...-papers-stolen

Sociology at the same time had the same thing as well.

I think that exam went quite well. Hopefully uni placement is sorted now!

ReputationRep:
    For anyone else who did the applied module; how do you think it compared difficulty wise to previous years?

Personally I found it harder than some of the previous years; but mainly due to mostly being word based questions (there didn't seem to be much maths this year).

I am better at maths than explaining stuff; but it could've been much worse I guess.
    yeah applied was more difficult this year, what did you include for the six marker?

ReputationRep:
    Ah; fair enough.

Sounds like me then. I was optimistic of an A* until I learned that the ISA counts too (just have to hope for an A* in maths now...)
    Yeah, we did the EMPA and I'm no good at those
    Was hoping for an A* in maths too which was more probable than for physics, but think I mucked C4 up too much too

ReputationRep:
    for the average root mean squared calc, did you have to divide by 3?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by huniibehi)
    yeah applied was more difficult this year, what did you include for the six marker?
    To quote myself (not normally a good idea, as I don't really want to portray arrogance, but I can't really be bothered to retype it)

Can't remember my exact wording (and I've never been good at engine cycle's so I can't assume it is correct) but something like:

More work done as pressure builds; due to adiabatic change going to a greater pressure.
    Gas heats up more due to rate of change of pressure increasing (same revolutions per minute).
    So power input required goes up as power does.

I can't really remember if those were all the main points I put; but most of them. And it was padded out with some other stuff that may be relevant.

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone confirm what the question was for the Vegas and Earth question, Calculate *something* angle Vegas subtends on Earth? Was it angle subtended when asteriod is at max distance, min distance, or some other distance?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD223)
    Here's what I did.

Name:  Picture1.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  157.7 KB

EDIT: There's an error in the notes as they forget to cube r0.
    I feel like that calculation misses out the fact there were 51 or however many nucleons though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sam.B57)
    Yeah, we did the EMPA and I'm no good at those
    Was hoping for an A* in maths too which was more probable than for physics, but think I mucked C4 up too much too
    Which exam board do you do for maths?

I found MPC3 alright, and MPC4 was a relief when it was over (I'm not great at vectors questions, but I thankfully this paper had a nice one).

Just a few silly mistakes in each, but nothing too drastic from my perspective; just need to get M2 sorted now!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doomlar)
    I feel like that calculation misses out the fact there were 51 or however many nucleons though.
    The density is independent of nucleon number, as above.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by huniibehi)
    for the average root mean squared calc, did you have to divide by 3?
    I think you square each value (of speed) and divide through by 3 then, to get the Crms^2

ReputationRep:
    Which exam board do you do for maths?

I found MPC3 alright, and MPC4 was a relief when it was over (I'm not great at vectors questions, but I thankfully this paper had a nice one).

Just a few silly mistakes in each, but nothing too drastic from my perspective; just need to get M2 sorted now!
    I found MPC3 easier. Core 4 I dropped 10-12 marks. Hoping it doesn't cost me an A* :/

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.