Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

AQA Physics PHYA5 - Thursday 18th June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread] Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Puzzled_Logician)
    Which exam board do you do for maths?

I found MPC3 alright, and MPC4 was a relief when it was over (I'm not great at vectors questions, but I thankfully this paper had a nice one).

Just a few silly mistakes in each, but nothing too drastic from my perspective; just need to get M2 sorted now!
    Edexcel for maths and FM, AQA for physics and chemistry
    Annoying thing with my C4 paper, I messed up the last 6 marks and only needed a couple extra minutes to correct it :'(

ReputationRep:
    To quote myself (not normally a good idea, as I don't really want to portray arrogance, but I can't really be bothered to retype it)
    sounds similar to mine but i didn't really get the question tbh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD223)
    I found MPC3 easier. Core 4 I dropped 10-12 marks. Hoping it doesn't cost me an A* :/
    Interesting. Most people here (as in at our school) found MPC4 easier than MPC3.

Personally I thought MPC4 was a nicer paper than it could have been; MPC3 was harder than previous years (like Q.8, took me half an hour to 8a, which is nearly as much as the rest of the paper, before realising dividing through by cot^2 would let it 'drop out') so not impossible papers; not overwhelmingly easy either though...

ReputationRep:
    Interesting. Most people here found MPC4 easier than MPC3.

Personally I thought MPC4 was a nicer paper than it could have been; MPC3 was harder than previous years (like Q.8, took me half an hour to 8a, which is nearly as much as the rest of the paper, before realising dividing through by cot^2 would let it 'drop out' so not impossible papers; not overwhelmingly easy either though...
    I agree. The actual paper for C4 wasn't difficult I just dropped quite a few marks. Praying for 180

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bowenabc)
    Can anyone confirm what the question was for the Vegas and Earth question, Calculate *something* angle Vegas subtends on Earth? Was it angle subtended when asteriod is at max distance, min distance, or some other distance?
    1.73x10^11

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sam.B57)
    Edexcel for maths and FM, AQA for physics and chemistry
    Annoying thing with my C4 paper, I messed up the last 6 marks and only needed a couple extra minutes to correct it :'(
    Yeah; for CHEM4 I found I run out of time, too many questions of typical difficulty where you'd normally have 9.

But none of my exams stick out as going drastically badly to be honest..

ReputationRep:
    Only just got in because half of my friends are celebrating finishing their exams ( :'( ), thought it was a pretty lovely paper though overall! Liked the six markers a lot, they were so nice. Made at least 1 stupid mistake that I know of so far but oh well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD223)
    I agree. The actual paper for C4 wasn't difficult I just dropped quite a few marks. Praying for 180
    I'm not religious but after chemistry this year, I just need to hope, and 'pray' for the grades I need for Bristol...

Also like me and physics 4 then....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roar96)
    Right, well now that's over... SUMMER!
    Shut up; I still have three exams

ReputationRep:
    I think you square each value (of speed) and divide through by 3 then, to get the Crms^2
    It's was 1 mark right

ReputationRep:
    Yeah; for CHEM4 I found I run out of time, too many questions of typical difficulty where you'd normally have 9.

But none of my exams stick out as going drastically badly to be honest..
    Both Chemistry papers I found okay, and only really 2 out of 10 of my exams so far have gone bad, all in all they've gone well enough for uni

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lau14)
    Only just got in because half of my friends are celebrating finishing their exams ( :'( ), thought it was a pretty lovely paper though overall! Liked the six markers a lot, they were so nice. Made at least 1 stupid mistake that I know of so far but oh well.
    What mistake? I made several?:/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emmanuel12344)
    It's was 1 mark right
    Just 74 more to go...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD223)
    What mistake? I made several?:/
    I must have done a typo for calculating the radius of that star because my answer was the one I heard from all my friends but to the power 8 so out by a factor of 100 or so :/ which means my tick box (dwarf, giant, main sequence) was wrong so hoping for some follow through there! Haven't found any other mistakes that I made yet but I'm sure there are some

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QueNNch)
    Density = m/V
    Calculate volume from 4/3πr^3
    Take r from previous question.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Did u use m = 51?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by king cobra)
    No proton number is same

Posted from TSR Mobile
    But the neutron number changes so wouldn't the nucleon number be bigger or smaller so the size of the nucleus should be different.

So shouldn't the dispersion be different?

ReputationRep:
    astro was definitely harder than last years in my opinion

ReputationRep:
    For the 6-mark astro question, did you have to actually calculate T and v, or did you just have to explain how they would be calculated? I explained both in some detail, but didn't produce values.
    Did the question specify that you had to calculate them, or did it simply ask how you'd evaluate them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Disney0702)
    Did u use m = 51?
    51 times the mass of a neutron or proton

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StarvingAutist)
    For the 6-mark astro question, did you have to actually calculate T and v, or did you just have to explain how they would be calculated? I explained both in some detail, but didn't produce values.
    Did the question specify that you had to calculate them, or did it simply ask how you'd evaluate them?
    It said to do suitable calculations in the question so you should have actually done them I think

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.