Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

AQA Physics PHYA5 - Thursday 18th June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread] Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheRAG)
    Did we all get 318/320K for the last (Part A) Q on temperature of a gas?
    I did!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Disney0702)
    I did!
    Yep

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by superduperbob)
    51 times the mass of a neutron or proton
    Oh! Oooops

ReputationRep:
    For astro, m-M= 5 log d/10 is d measured in parsecs?? I converted into parsecs and idk if i should have :///

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lau14)
    I must have done a typo for calculating the radius of that star because my answer was the one I heard from all my friends but to the power 8 so out by a factor of 100 or so :/ which means my tick box (dwarf, giant, main sequence) was wrong so hoping for some follow through there! Haven't found any other mistakes that I made yet but I'm sure there are some
    I said main sequence because it had similar output to the sun

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lau14)
    It said to do suitable calculations in the question so you should have actually done them I think
    For ****'s sake. Assuming this is true, how many marks would I lose?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD223)
    I said main sequence because it had similar output to the sun
    I said main sequence because it was a bit bigger than the Sun with my radius and a core that size (as a dwarf star is just a core) would have formed a neutron star, and obviously too small to be a giant star, and then mentioned spectral class from temperature... really hoping for follow through marks maybe!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StarvingAutist)
    For ****'s sake. Assuming this is true, how many marks would I lose?
    Hard to tell for six markers, 1 or 2 I'd think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lau14)
    Hard to tell for six markers, 1 or 2 I'd think.
    I hope it's 1. **** me sideways. What a blunder to make.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OprahWinfrey)
    For astro, m-M= 5 log d/10 is d measured in parsecs?? I converted into parsecs and idk if i should have :///
    Yep, you should convert to parsecs don't worry everyone that got somewhere around -80 forgot this I think!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OprahWinfrey)
    I did that too

ReputationRep:
    I hope it's 1. **** me sideways. What a blunder to make.
    I'd say because of the way they mark them and this seemed like one you could write a lot about dropping 1 mark is most likely unless one of the crietria for getting in the 5-6 bracket is to have done both calculations, which is plausible.

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone explain how to do the question about the electron?, if you would be able to show each step as i'm trying to work out how many marks i would get for intermediate stages, thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blablalb)
    Can anyone explain how to do the question about the electron?, if you would be able to show each step as i'm trying to work out how many marks i would get for intermediate stages, thanks.
    Which paper/question was that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bwr19)
    Which paper/question was that?
    Turning points, it was a 4-marker.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by k9000)
    I left muon till last as it looked difficult but it was just a relativity question unstructured :/. The 6 marker was a gift though.. I finished at charge on the droplet and how to measure then said charge is always n*1.6x10-19.. It didnt say mass of the electron needed measuring right?
    Yeah that's what I did too, but I ran out of time before I could work it out! I had no idea about the question talking about the Sun being stationary relative to the Earth though!!
    I loved the 6 marker! You didn't have to find the electron mass, but you had to explain how to find the radius (by using the forces on it when it's falling at maximum velocity)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lau14)
    I'd say because of the way they mark them and this seemed like one you could write a lot about dropping 1 mark is most likely unless one of the crietria for getting in the 5-6 bracket is to have done both calculations, which is plausible.
    Ugh. You know, I just won't think about it any more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Puzzled_Logician)
    For anyone else who did the applied module; how do you think it compared difficulty wise to previous years?

Personally I found it harder than some of the previous years; but mainly due to mostly being word based questions (there didn't seem to be much maths this year).

I am better at maths than explaining stuff; but it could've been much worse I guess.
    That 6 marker, kill me please. Everything else was pretty standard though.

ReputationRep:
    Woop! No more physics!

ReputationRep:
    Ugh. You know, I just won't think about it any more.
    Probably for the best, nothing to be done about it until results day now anyway!

Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.