Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

AQA Physics PHYA5 - Thursday 18th June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread] Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ilovemaths96)
    more difficult indeed, slightly odd question. Rest of it was fine thankfully
    (Original post by Razzamataz179)
    That 6 marker, kill me please. Everything else was pretty standard though.
    Have you done 2014 5c? Would you say this was harder or easier? Completely f'd it up. I forgot about the optional unit cause we had to self teach it, only read the book one day before didn't know f all

ReputationRep:
    Urgh lost them marks then 😂😭
    (Original post by Jamesbe1993)
    Under the assumption of equally distributed charge the electrostatic force on the alpha particle will not change even for an increase in radius of the gold nuclei due to an increase in mass. The charge density of the nucleus will change but the strength of the field produced by it will not. Ergo the scattering effect will remain the same.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by you-only-live-once)
    Hey i did the medical paper! I found it alright, except the ear question! How did you find it?
    Yes, I thought it was a nice paper! But same here, that graph question on the ear was tricky. I wasn't a fan of the last question on the fluoroscopic image intensifier either as I hadn't revised it.

ReputationRep:
    how did you write in nuclear eqn?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophiebeth100)
    Yes, I thought it was a nice paper! But same here, that graph question on the ear was tricky. I wasn't a fan of the last question on the fluoroscopic image intensifier either as I hadn't revised it.
    what did you put for the 2 lines P and Q? Ah i found that alright, not so much on the eye bit though.. and for the 6 marker, which points did you write?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RemainSilent)
    - Beta decay

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Caz_)
    you know the one where you had to work out temperature and the radius and then tick the box for what type of star it was. What is the right answer for that radius?
    Mine was of the order 106 and at a temperature of around 16000K, that puts it in the sort of dwarf star range.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FirelightPhoenix)
    Yeah that's what I did too, but I ran out of time before I could work it out! I had no idea about the question talking about the Sun being stationary relative to the Earth though!!
    I loved the 6 marker! You didn't have to find the electron mass, but you had to explain how to find the radius (by using the forces on it when it's falling at maximum velocity)
    I just said measure distance from earth to sun and then divide by time taken for light to reach earth? although that seems too simple but then again it was one mark. And good, i really liked that 6 marker

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I did this too Was this question one or two marks?

I reckon I've got 64/75 - just a couple of mistakes on nuclear and a few silly things on Astrophysics

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PoojaRathod)
    used A=lambda x N ?
    Yeah I did the same Was this question one or two marks?

I reckon I've got 64/75 - couple of mistakes on nuclear and a few silly things on astro

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by you-only-live-once)
    what did you put for the 2 lines P and Q? Ah i found that alright, not so much on the eye bit though.. and for the 6 marker, which points did you write?
    Um I think I put something about intensities being the same for P and Q being the frequency where the human ear is most sensitive.

For the 6 marker I wrote about removing hair and dead skin cells, attaching 12 connections to the body, not too far from the heart or signal is weak, i.e. no connections on right leg. I couldn't remember any more points for that question so I probably only got 2/6 for that question, but I suck at 6 markers so I'm used to it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RemainSilent)
    \displaymode \sideset{_{93}^{238}}eN \longrightarrow \sideset{_{94}^{238}}uP + \beta^- + \bar{\nu}_e

iirc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD223)
    I mucked up so bad ;P
    I seem to mess up somewhere on every exam I do, so annoying! Especially when the past papers have all gone so well!

ReputationRep:
    Anyone done the medical physics paper? I was given the original paper, not the R paper.. Is it same for everyone??

The original paper has ECG for the six marker

ReputationRep:
    One part of me believes boundaries will be lower because it was harder than last year. Another part realises that boundaries last year were insanely low for a relatively easy paper.

Anyone got any idea for the A* boundaries in PHYA4 and PHYA5 with Astro?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bwr19)
    Mine was of the order 106 and at a temperature of around 16000K, that puts it in the sort of dwarf star range.
    I got my temperature as that but my radius was really quite big (must have mucked up working it out) so put main sequence for the next bit. Do you reckon I'd get error carried forward for the tick boxes/explanation?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Caz_)
    I got my temperature as that but my radius was really quite big (must have mucked up working it out) so put main sequence for the next bit. Do you reckon I'd get error carried forward for the tick boxes/explanation?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I would imagine so. Seems a bit cruel if those marks would become off limits if you got the tickbox part wrong.

They gave the power of the star so I just rearranged Stefan's Law.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD223)
    One part of me believes boundaries will be lower because it was harder than last year. Another part realises that boundaries last year were insanely low for a relatively easy paper.

Anyone got any idea for the A* boundaries in PHYA4 and PHYA5 with Astro?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It really is hard to tell, but I'd say:

PHYA4 - Around 60 A*
    PHYA5 - Around 56 A*

I can't see the grade boundaries changing dramatically

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophiebeth100)
    Anyone who did Medical Physics, quote me, how did you find the paper?
    It was a good paper, how did you find it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DCMed96)
    Anyone done the medical physics paper? I was given the original paper, not the R paper.. Is it same for everyone??

The original paper has ECG for the six marker
    yes same, original paper! how did u find it?

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.