Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

AQA Physics PHYA5 - Thursday 18th June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread] Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RonanWalters)
    So far I haven't found them too bad, but I usually say things like that and then I start to struggle with them. I just feel like all the information / knowledge you need for spectral classes, etc. is massive. Haven't properly done any past papers yet for it, but it takes me ages to read through the revision guide on to make sure I've taken it all. It might be just because I've only been doing it for the past 3-4 days, but it just feels like it's a lot to take in and remember.
    I agree! The guide is good but there's no much more they can condense it - and it's STILL a lot to take in and remember. I'm genuinely worried about recalling all of it come the exam!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amanzz)
    Hi. I'm new to the thread. I'm doing A Level maths, physics and chemistry. My usual revision tactic is to do practice questions then just unrelentlessly hit past papers. However, as most of you will have discovered, for PHYA5 there are only 5. How is everyone handling this? Does anyone have a link to some old but relevant AQA PPQ's? Also, I have the Nelson Thornes textbook, and I'm rally pleased with it coupled with the fact that it contains many old but relevant PPQ's.
    Furthermore, I saw a few pages back that two people were asking about how you get the A*; you need 80% over AS and A2 overall, with 90% average at A2, so yes, you could've had a B last year, 90%< and get the A*!
    Finally, my teacher has yet to start turning points as our optional module? Is this bad??
    Hello there!

Have you found the PHYA4 thread? A link to it is in the original post.

What exam board are you on for maths?

The resources and questions for PHYA5 are very scarce. Unless your college subscribes to exampro then I'm not too sure there's much more access to "old but relevant" questions from the syllabus.

The Nelson Thornes book is good, but it's a shame there's not many optional unit PPQs in their course notes, coupled with the fact that the book doesn't cover all optional units and these are published separately.

It's not bad that you haven't started the optional unit. But by all means read ahead if you are concerned

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi. I'm new to the thread. I'm doing A Level maths, physics and chemistry. My usual revision tactic is to do practice questions then just unrelentlessly hit past papers. However, as most of you will have discovered, for PHYA5 there are only 5. How is everyone handling this? Does anyone have a link to some old but relevant AQA PPQ's? Also, I have the Nelson Thornes textbook, and I'm rally pleased with it coupled with the fact that it contains many old but relevant PPQ's.
    Furthermore, I saw a few pages back that two people were asking about how you get the A*; you need 80% over AS and A2 overall, with 90% average at A2, so yes, you could've had a B last year, 90%< and get the A*!
    Finally, my teacher has yet to start turning points as our optional module? Is this bad??
    Hi there!

For more practice for unit 5, here's a link to some of the old AQA past papers for questions, http://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/scien...d-mark-schemes .
    They're a completely different format to the new ones but the content is pretty much the same

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheRAG)
    Hi there!

For more practice for unit 5, here's a link to some of the old AQA past papers for questions, http://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/scien...d-mark-schemes .
    They're a completely different format to the new ones but the content is pretty much the same
    Ooh, I didn't realise these existed thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD223)
    Ooh, I didn't realise these existed thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Sure Anytime!

ReputationRep:
    Sure Anytime!
    How do you tend to manage with timing? It's an issue I've encountered recently...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD223)
    How do you tend to manage with timing? It's an issue I've encountered recently...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Do you mean when completing papers?
    I usually find the core section ok timing-wise, but for astrophysics I am light years away from where I ought to be. At the beginning I was only able to answer questions using my notes and textbook, but even then the mark scheme often had completely different points that weren't there :mad:, so I'm making it my habit to memorise them.

I guess it's just a matter of practice, oh and learning the stuff thoroughly beforehand helps.

ReputationRep:
    Do you mean when completing papers?
    I usually find the core section ok timing-wise, but for astrophysics I am light years away from where I ought to be. At the beginning I was only able to answer questions using my notes and textbook, but even then the mark scheme often had completely different points that weren't there :mad:, so I'm making it my habit to memorise them.

I guess it's just a matter of practice, oh and learning the stuff thoroughly beforehand helps.
    I see - good point! Astro I'm not done learning yet :/ got about 2 weeks left. All or nothing from now!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Right guys it's homework time! To make this thread more fun, we should come up with many creative ways of memorising stuff as possible and get them posted. Use rhymes, pneumonics, songs etc. whatever we can come up with. Make them funny, silly or whatever helps you remember things.
    Time to get our brains into action and do this!!!

ReputationRep:
    Right guys it's homework time! To make this thread more fun, we should come up with many creative ways of memorising stuff as possible and get them posted. Use rhymes, pneumonics, songs etc. whatever we can come up with. Make them funny, silly or whatever helps you remember things.
    Time to get our brains into action and do this!!!
    I like this idea - does this stretch to PHYA4 as well? I'd be up for posting random memory joggers when I can come up with them

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD223)
    I like this idea - does this stretch to PHYA4 as well? I'd be up for posting random memory joggers when I can come up with them

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes it does! I'll post a message

ReputationRep:
    Yes it does! I'll post a message
    I'll start thinking of some

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi there!

What a hero! Thanks very much. Do you know where I can find more thermal physics resources? I'm really confident with it and enjoy it but I wouldn't mind keeping it all fresh.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD223)
    Hello there!

Have you found the PHYA4 thread? A link to it is in the original post.

What exam board are you on for maths?

The resources and questions for PHYA5 are very scarce. Unless your college subscribes to exampro then I'm not too sure there's much more access to "old but relevant" questions from the syllabus.

The Nelson Thornes book is good, but it's a shame there's not many optional unit PPQs in their course notes, coupled with the fact that the book doesn't cover all optional units and these are published separately.

It's not bad that you haven't started the optional unit. But by all means read ahead if you are concerned

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah, I did have a browse! I feel good about PHYA4, I can do most of it really well I think, except electric fields. It's odd, I almost always get 90% of the marks on the electric fields part, but I still feel like I know nothing about them???? I'm from Cardiff, so it's WJEC for me🔫 I think my teacher has, but only he's allowed on? Is that normal or does your teacher share it with you?
    I completely agree, up until I found out there was no Turning Points it was the best book ever!
    So it's not that pushed for time then? That's okay. I really love physics anyway so I've read a few books that cover most of turning points for the written parts, all that will be new is putting the maths to it!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    What a hero! Thanks very much. Do you know where I can find more thermal physics resources? I'm really confident with it and enjoy it but I wouldn't mind keeping it all fresh.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Have you done any of the recent past papers? And the stuff in the Nelson Thornes textbook?

They're the only things I can find on thermal

ReputationRep:
    Have you done any of the recent past papers? And the stuff in the Nelson Thornes textbook?

They're the only things I can find on thermal
    I'm saving the P5's till closer to the date. I've just ordered the CGP book for turning points and hopefully more questions. I'm also scouring the physics A and physics B sections on AQA's old section. I may also have a go at other PPQ's from other boards to ensure I have total understanding as the question will be asked differently and will probably draw on different points in different detail. I know WJEC's is a similar spec.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi there!

Thanks soo much they're a great help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD223)
    Ah good luck! What grade are you aiming for?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hopefully an A... But i have a feeling EMPA will let me down. Any tips for that like how to revise and stuff?

ReputationRep:
    Anyone have a mark scheme for PHYSICS B JUNE 2009??? I've done the paper and I can't find it.

ReputationRep:
    Not sure if it's already been mentioned but what do people think might come up as the 6 marker for astro? Having done most of the past papers the six markers have been atrocious in all but one.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.