Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

AQA Physics PHYA5 - Thursday 18th June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread] Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jf1994)
    Wouldn't the image distance be greater than the object distance since it was a diverging lens? The object distance was 0.25m I think
    no it was asking about the corrected near point when using the lens!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ubisoft)
    What was the very first one? Alpha, and what was the range?
    0.1m

ReputationRep:
    Wouldn't the image distance be greater than the object distance since it was a diverging lens? The object distance was 0.25m I think
    The unaided near point was 0.15 m and you had to calculate the aided near point(using the diverging lens), I got 0.19 as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD223)
    I'll be gutted if the boundaries go up substantially.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Same here, would be so disappointing to just miss out on the A*. It's the same with maths as well for me, hoping the boundaries don't change too much in that either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sam_97)
    It really is hard to tell, but I'd say:

PHYA4 - Around 60 A*
    PHYA5 - Around 56 A*

I can't see the grade boundaries changing dramatically
    You really think it will be 56 for an A*? Hell, last year it was 58 for full UMS. I don't think this year was much different in terms of difficulty.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by you-only-live-once)
    no it was asking about the corrected near point when using the lens!
    But the image is formed at the corrected near point isn't it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emmanuel12344)
    0.1m
    I think they'll accept any value that's a few centimetres to be honest, no more than 10cm.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emmanuel12344)
    0.1m
    yes what about beta? I put 1m

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bwr19)
    You really think it will be 56 for an A*? Hell, last year it was 58 for full UMS. I don't think this year was much different in terms of difficulty.
    You're probably right to be honest, being a bit pessimistic!

ReputationRep:
    Have you done 2014 5c? Would you say this was harder or easier? Completely f'd it up. I forgot about the optional unit cause we had to self teach it, only read the book one day before didn't know f all
    Aha same was a bit tragic. Yeah last years was a lot easier this year you has to know what was going on to do anything.

ReputationRep:
    yes what about beta? I put 1m
    Beta radiation has a range of several tens of centimetres, depending on its energy. 1m is a perfectly acceptable range.

ReputationRep:
    After that dreadful unit 4 I need every mark I can get! Really praying for a B 😭
    (Original post by Jamesbe1993)
    Don't beat yourself up about it, everyone loses marks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by you-only-live-once)
    what do you think the grade boundary will be ?
    I would say maybe 53 for an A? Don't quote me on this, it's up to the exam board,but most people are saying they found the paper easy so the grade boundaries are bound to be higher than last few years.

Grade boundaries for an A in previous years:
    June 2014: 46
    June 2013: 49
    June 2012: 48
    June 2011: 51
    June 2010: 50

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _jess)
    what was the answer for why the count of the gamma source drops when moved just a little bit further?
    A description of the inverse square law in relation to the question would suffice for both marks. 1 mark for for stating the law or equation and another for describing drop in count rate is due to a decrease in intensity due to the increase in distance..

ReputationRep:
    But the image is formed at the corrected near point isn't it?
    The image is formed at the unaided near point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PoojaRathod)
    After that dreadful unit 4 I need every mark I can get! Really praying for a B 😭
    I've been quite hard on myself for unit 4 as I know I could have performed much better... but stay hopeful and play for low grade boundaries :')

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Razzamataz179)
    Aha same was a bit tragic. Yeah last years was a lot easier this year you has to know what was going on to do anything.
    Yeah I regret choosing applied, I saw the rotations stuff and thought it'd be easy as its all maths. Then I found the engine stuff.... Wrote so much bs for the 6 marker

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Christina30)
    The image is formed at the unaided near point.
    I knew it was too good to be true, I will be glad never to have to think about optics again

ReputationRep:
    What was the very first one? Alpha, and what was the range?
    Alpha was correct for 1a, the ionizing power of alpha particles is the highest for all types of radiation due to high charge. 1b: alpha range would be ~0.1m and beta is ~1m.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophiebeth100)
    I would say maybe 53 for an A? Don't quote me on this, it's up to the exam board,but most people are saying they found the paper easy so the grade boundaries are bound to be higher than last few years.

Grade boundaries for an A in previous years:
    June 2014: 46
    June 2013: 49
    June 2012: 48
    June 2011: 51
    June 2010: 50
    A lot of people were initially saying it was easy, but as time has gone on a lot more lost marks have been uncovered so I think they won't be any higher than they've been before at the very least - a lot of those papers with low grade boundaries were also pretty easy.

Poll
Which pet is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.