Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

AQA Physics PHYA5 - Thursday 18th June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread] Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Qwerty1996)
    What did everyone say for the question about replacing the foil with gold of different isotopes?
    STays same

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by k9000)
    fam course you can, you plan on studying at imperial next year?
    nah cuz gonna do a sports science btec init

ReputationRep:
    These are the answers i got for nuclear, they;re not all right but if we edit the post we can make a markscheme
    1a) Alpha radiation (1)
    1b) 0.05m and 1m (2)
    1bii) Gamma radiation obeys inverse square law (1)
    1c) Inhaling the source. Outside the body it cannot penetrate through skin but inside it can damage cell membranes and cause mutation (2)

2ai) Electrostatic repulsion (1)
    2aii) Charge on isotope nucleus remains the same so the effect is the same (1)
    2b) 1.4 x 10^-15
    2bii) 5 x 10^-15
    2c) 1.4 x 10^17 kg/m^3

3a) added on a beta minus decay and an antineutrino
    3b) 3.4 x 10^-6
    3bii) 2.4 x 10^17
    3ci) 2 or 3 fast moving neutrons are released when a uranium nucleus decays. These go onto be absorbed by other uranium nuclei causing further fission and so a chain reaction.
    3cii) Slows the fast moving nuclei by giving KE to water atoms so they can be absorbed for fission
    3cii) The walls absorb radiation causing excitation of atoms in the wall and thus radiation is given off

4a) Takes 130J of energy to raise the temp of 1kg of lead by 1K without change of state
    4b) 47000J
    4c) 6 marker

5a) Molecules move in constant rapid motion, all collisions are elastic

Thats all the ones i wrote down

ReputationRep:
    These are the answers i got for nuclear, they;re not all right but if we edit the post we can make a markscheme
    1a) Alpha radiation (1)
    1b) 0.05m and 1m (2)
    1c) Inhaling the source. Outside the body it cannot penetrate through skin but inside it can damage cell membranes and cause mutation (2)

2b) 1.4 x 10^-15
    2bii) 5 x 10^-15
    2c) 1.4 x 10^17 kg/m^3

3b) 3.4 x 10^-6
    3bii) 2.4 x 10^17
    3ci) 2 or 3 fast moving neutrons are released when a uranium nucleus decays. These go onto be absorbed by other uranium nuclei causing further fission and so a chain reaction.
    3cii) Slows the fast moving nuclei by giving KE to water atoms so they can be absorbed for fission
    3cii) The walls absorb radiation causing excitation of atoms in the wall and thus radiation is given off

4a) Takes 130J of energy to raise the temp of 1kg of lead by 1K without change of state
    4b) 47000J
    4c) 6 marker

nearly all same except the answer that i cant remember

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vxl429)
    That's what we like! For the next bit did you make 1 rev = 1 cycle?
    Indeed I did

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    1a) Alpha radiation (1)
    1b) 0.05m and 1m (2)

2b) 1.4 x 10^-15
    2bii) 5 x 10^-15
    2c) 1.4 x 10^17 kg/m^3

3b) 3.4 x 10^-6
    3bii) 2.4 x 10^17

4b) 47000J
    4c) 6 marker

For 1c) I put the dust itself as the alpha radiation would be absorbed before it penetrated the skin

ReputationRep:
    1a) Alpha radiation (1)
    1b) 0.05m and 1m (2)

2b) 1.4 x 10^-15
    2bii) 5 x 10^-15
    2c) 1.4 x 10^17 kg/m^3

3b) 3.4 x 10^-6
    3bii) 2.4 x 10^17

4b) 47000J
    4c) 6 marker

And for 2c) it said show that it's approximately 1.4 but I got 1.3

ReputationRep:
    For anyone doing applied, did you get 125J for the work done on gas with the P-V diagram? 67.5 +57.5?

ReputationRep:
    1a) Alpha radiation (1)
    1b) 0.05m and 1m (2)

2b) 1.4 x 10^-15
    2bii) 5 x 10^-15
    2c) 1.4 x 10^17 kg/m^3

3b) 3.4 x 10^-6
    3bii) 2.4 x 10^17

4b) 47000J
    4c) 6 marker

For 3b) I got .3 instead of .4
    For 3bii) 8.2*10-11 😱😱

ReputationRep:
    1a) Alpha radiation (1)
    1b) 0.05m and 1m (2)

2b) 1.4 x 10^-15
    2bii) 5 x 10^-15
    2c) 1.4 x 10^17 kg/m^3

3b) 3.4 x 10^-6
    3bii) 2.4 x 10^17

4b) 47000J
    4c) 6 marker

I can't quite remember all my answers but those all look pretty much the same as what I put.

ReputationRep:
    Any MS for Astrophysics (2A) ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bwr19)
    I can't quite remember all my answers but those all look pretty much the same as what I put.
    For the ones where it said "show that it is close to this", for the follow up questions where it required use of that value, do you use the value you calculated or do you use the one that they said in the question?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ImNormal)
    For the ones where it said "show that it is close to this", for the follow up questions where it required use of that value, do you use the value you calculated or do you use the one that they said in the question?
    I think they usually allow either?

ReputationRep:
    1a) Alpha radiation (1)
    1b) 0.05m and 1m (2)

2b) 1.4 x 10^-15
    2bii) 5 x 10^-15
    2c) 1.4 x 10^17 kg/m^3

3b) 3.4 x 10^-6
    3bii) 2.4 x 10^17

4b) 47000J
    4c) 6 marker

2)a)ii) was two marks I think too

I'm sure for the one about the core walls, in past exams you've had to mention that they absorb the neutrons-I put that and that it absorbs the other energy

ReputationRep:
    does anyone remember the answers for medical physics?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sam.B57)
    2)a)ii) was two marks I think too

I'm sure for the one about the core walls, in past exams you've had to mention that they absorb the neutrons-I put that and that it absorbs the other energy
    Nope, it was only 1 mark cus I remembering thinking about how much I should write.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ImNormal)
    Nope, it was only 1 mark cus I remembering thinking about how much I should write.
    I thought it was two because I remember making two points

ReputationRep:
    1a) Alpha radiation (1)
    1b) 0.05m and 1m (2)

2b) 1.4 x 10^-15
    2bii) 5 x 10^-15
    2c) 1.4 x 10^17 kg/m^3

3b) 3.4 x 10^-6
    3bii) 2.4 x 10^17

4b) 47000J
    4c) 6 marker

Thanks for that. Do people have any different answers? Let's make a mark scheme for section A at least. And can someone confirm if the marks are all correct?

For 2a I got electromagnetic, but I think that would get marks as well
    What was 2b and 2bii? I remember getting 1.3 as well but I used the value I worked out not the one they give.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ubisoft)
    Thanks for that. Do people have any different answers? Let's make a mark scheme for section A at least. And can someone confirm if the marks are all correct?

For 2a I got electromagnetic, but I think that would get marks as well
    What was 2b and 2bii? I remember getting 1.3 as well but I used the value I worked out not the one they give.
    2bi and 2bii were both show that questions I think: 2bi show that r0is roughly 1.4*10^-15 and 2bii show that 51V had a nuclear radius of 5*10^-15

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sam.B57)
    2bi and 2bii were both show that questions I think: 2bi show that r0is roughly 1.4*10^-15 and 2bii show that 51V had a nuclear radius of 5*10^-15
    Oh yeah I got them, but I remember I got 1.33 or something for r0

For the moderator I wrote about a control rod instead, said keeps reaction under control by releasing 1 neutron per fission.

Poll
Which pet is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.