Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

AQA Physics PHYA5 - Thursday 18th June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread] Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamesbe1993)
    The mass given on the Schwartzchild radius question was 1x10^10, therefore a radius of ~3x10^13 m is to be calculated.
    I put balmer because wavelength in the visible range... Will this get the marks??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD223)
    Pretty sure most people bombed. It wasn't a straightforward test imo. Looking back on it I'm sure people could answer most questions, but it's under exam conditions and there was a lot that could catch people out.

That, coupled with the fact that last year was arguably the easiest of all unit 5 papers (at least for Astro certainly), makes it seem as though boundaries are unpredictable

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah I do feel like the boundaries were weirdly low last year? Like the unit 5 paper wasn't that bad last year? I hope they're low again this year :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sbarron)
    I put balmer because wavelength in the visible range... Will this get the marks??
    It may be possible, but the question was multiple marks and that to me seems as though it makes a one mark point. I would say one mark if they award it but the question did hint at the surface temperature of the star so it may have to be included in some capacity. In my description I stated that the Balmer lines would be most intense and deepest in the absorption spectra of the star as they are the most prominent lines of a star with that surface temperature.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aidanleach)
    I felt this years was easier.There was alot of ''Show that'' questions and its possible to get them right without any knowledge.
    Also the 6 Marker wasn't hard if you actually looked at it. Clearly showed the stars getting dimmer and the change in wavelength obviously had to be red-shift.

But obviously im not the general population. But noone in my class ( even the weaker students ) came out and went ''That exam was hard''.
    There were several 1 and 2 markers that if you didn't realize what they were asking for you just wouldn't understand or make silly mistakes on. Also you just completely generalized the 6 marker. If students couldn't interpret the graphs correctly in terms of the second peak being shallower than the 2 either side or that the second graph corresponded to red/blue shift they could easily lose 3-4 marks on that question. All exams are subjective to the individual student and can not be deterministic. Don't treat them as such.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamesbe1993)
    It may be possible, but the question was multiple marks and that to me seems as though it makes a one mark point. I would say one mark if they award it but the question did hint at the surface temperature of the star so it may have to be included in some capacity. In my description I stated that the Balmer lines would be most intense and deepest in the absorption spectra of the star as they are the most prominent lines of a star with that surface temperature.
    Oh I remember that question now. That's exactly what I said, it was in spectral class A and that is where the balmer lines are most prominent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reverse Swing)
    Oh I remember that question now. That's exactly what I said, it was in spectral class A and that is where the balmer lines are most prominent.
    Full marks then

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD223)
    I will attempt to piece one together next Tuesday after my last exam in the first post. I've compiled my answers so far for nuclear - Astro is slightly harder to do given not everyone does it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    ahh ok

ReputationRep:
    Are the official grade boundaries results before results day? (if so thats nerve racking)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RemainSilent)
    Are the official grade boundaries results before results day? (if so thats nerve racking)
    Yeah, the exam boards reveal them a week before the results day i think

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If I didn't mention plot a P-T or V-T graph or extrapolate the line in the 6 marker of section A at all, will I lose all marks? God I am so scared.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elsq)
    Indeed I did

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ace. One last thing; did you just do (420/60) x (area of p-V loop) ?

ReputationRep:
    so what actually was the last q in applied then????
    (Original post by ubisoft)
    That moment when the invigilator picks up your paper and you see the last page left empty. lol I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy. Praying we get the same boundaries as June 2014 but unlikely

Applied bro, and yeah pm me so I know you've posted them here

ReputationRep:
    as far as i remember i got all of those i think, was 7.64x10^7 or whatever it was the last q??
    (Original post by ubisoft)
    Do you remember the questions too?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Did anybody else get -9.2x10^-2 for the magnitude in Astro? It seems to only be me...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xela238)
    Did anybody else get -9.2x10^-2 for the magnitude in Astro? It seems to only be me...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    There was a range where you read off of the graph. Most people read the range 1.980-1.983. When you use these numbers as the apparent magnitude in the formula with d=25, you get a range of results.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xuyixuanpbs)
    If I didn't mention plot a P-T or V-T graph or extrapolate the line in the 6 marker of section A at all, will I lose all marks? God I am so scared.
    You will probably lose a few marks. Don't worry though it won't be all of them

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xuyixuanpbs)
    What did you write for that question?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mehrdad jafari)
    Yeah, the exam boards reveal them a week before the results day i think

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh my where would you go to find these??

ReputationRep:
    I though it was released on midnight results day...they can be found on their websites but they won't always update it on time I think.

ReputationRep:
    On here:
    http://www.aqa.org.uk/exams-administ...ade-boundaries

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.