Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

AQA Physics PHYA5 - Thursday 18th June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread] Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, as we approach 8 weeks before this exam, I thought I would upload my revision notes to the thread!

Anyone else also willing to contribute, please quote me or send me a PM and I'll credit your resource in the first post

Without further ado...

My personal revision guide for PHYA5!
    Spoiler:
    Show

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD223)
    Hi guys, as we approach 8 weeks before this exam, I thought I would upload my revision notes to the thread!

Anyone else also willing to contribute, please quote me or send me a PM and I'll credit your resource in the first post

Without further ado...

Spoiler:
    Show
    that's fantastic thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by einot)
    that's fantastic thanks!
    That's okay! Hope it's helpful!

(I've also included the same on the PHYA4 thread )

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD223)
    That's okay! Hope it's helpful!

(I've also included the same on the PHYA4 thread )

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Fantastic! I will definitely be using those as well!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by einot)
    Fantastic! I will definitely be using those as well!
    No worries! I'm glad they're getting some use - makes it seem worthwhile making them!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Still yet to start turning points after just getting the prac done, sigh.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    OH MY GOD I JUST FOUND ALL THESE PPQ'S WITH MARK SCHEMES MOM GET THE CAMERAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAA

(apologies if anyone has already stumbled across these and posted, but it's the only way I revise so I thought it'd be useful. You can even try other spec's papers.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amanzz)
    Still yet to start turning points after just getting the prac done, sigh.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh no! Although I haven't finished astro. Still got about half of that to go so I wouldn't worry.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    OH MY GOD I JUST FOUND ALL THESE PPQ'S WITH MARK SCHEMES MOM GET THE CAMERAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAA

(apologies if anyone has already stumbled across these and posted, but it's the only way I revise so I thought it'd be useful. You can even try other spec's papers.)
    Haha, they are good! Do you mean the physicsandmathstutor ones?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD223)
    Haha, they are good! Do you mean the physicsandmathstutor ones?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Wow. In all the excitement I forgot to post thing link didn't I?:rolleyes:

http://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/...it-5-by-topic/ Indeed, it's going to make revision a LOT easier!

ReputationRep:
    Wow. In all the excitement I forgot to post thing link didn't I?:rolleyes:

http://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/...it-5-by-topic/ Indeed, it's going to make revision a LOT easier!
    Ah I've added that to the first post

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Sorry it's a unit 4 question, but do we need to know about the direction of current in EM induction. If so, is it just the screwdriver rule?

ReputationRep:
    Sorry it's a unit 4 question, but do we need to know about the direction of current in EM induction. If so, is it just the screwdriver rule?
    In EM induction, use fleming's right hand rule.

Using your right hand, with your thumb, first and second fingers in the "left hand rule" position (I.e: all perpendicular to one another), and with the same convention (thumb = motion, first finger = field, second finger = current), you can work out the direction of a third variable, given the direction of the other two.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Urgent plea for help, any tips for understanding (and doing) calculations involving lenses please!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheRAG)
    Urgent plea for help, any tips for understanding (and doing) calculations involving lenses please!!!
    When I finish astro, I'll publish another Astro revision guide.

In the meantime, is there any specific question you have involving them? It's just it's such a broad topic :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD223)
    *** OFFICIAL AQA PHYA5 NUCLEAR & THERMAL PHYSICS JUNE 2015 EXAM DISCUSSION THREAD ***Date: 18th June 2015Time: 09:00amDuration: 1h 45mAny resources or revision tips people are willing to share?__________________________ _PHYA4 EXAM DISCUSSION THREAD:http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3047347______________________________RESOURCES:My personal revision guide for PHYA5!
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Recommended revision guide for the A2 exams (as flagged up by Disney0702):Useful revision website for topic by topic questions on PHYA5 (as flagged up by Kennethm):
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Lau14's INCREDIBLY helpful guide to the A2 EMPA:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Physics Practical Work – A2 EMPAThere are two assessed practical sessions (tasks 1 and 2), each one hour long and carried out in lessons under exam conditions, and a written section (duration: 1hr 15). The total mark for the EMPA is 55, with mark distribution varying very slightly between the three parts – usually 15-16 for each practical task and 23-24 or so for the written section. The EMPA is worth 60 UMS (half as much as the other papers, 20% of the year).There are four written papers available (June 2010-2013) on the AQA website, but the practical sections are only available from 2013. Measuring instruments – range and precisionThe range of a measuring instrument is the lowest and highest reading it can measure (e.g. a thermometer may measure -20 to 100°C).The precision of a measuring instrument is one scale division (this term may be used differently in other subjects, this is the definition for AQA Physics), e.g. the precision of the thermometer may be ±1°C. Usually given as a ± value, but the ± might be omitted sometimes. Significant figuresAny reading you take must be given to the correct number of significant figures (e.g. when measuring with a ruler of precision ±0.001m, the reading of half a metre must be written as 0.500, not as 0.5. 50.0cm and 500mm is also acceptable, as long as your units are correct and consistent). Dependent and independent variablesThe independent variable readings are those chosen by you (or the ones you are told to take) before carrying out the experiment.The dependent variable readings are those that you measure. You must take a repeat reading of this. E.g. if you are looking at V/I characteristics you could set voltage to particular values and then measure the current. The voltage is the independent and the current is the dependent variable. Recording your resultsThere are at least 5 marks available for this in total.Two marks are for drawing a results table with a ruler and having the independent variable in the left hand column.Include a separate column for any values calculated to plot a graph (e.g. if you have to plot a graph of 1/x but you’ve measured x, add a column for 1/x).There are two marks for using the correct number of significant figures for every reading (see above).There is another mark for including all units in the table headings. Use either the name of the unit in full or the accepted abbreviation. Graph plottingThere are at least 9 marks available for this.The origin does not have to be included unless proportionality is to be shown. If the origin is included mark on both “0”s.Choose a scale so that the points cover more than 50% of each axis of A4 graph paper (28x20cm), so horizontal separation of first and last points must not be less than 10cm and vertical separation of first and last points must not be less than 14cm. There are 2 marks available for this. Also pick a scale that is easy to plot and take readings for (e.g. 1cm = 10 units, 2 units or 4 units. Not 1cm = 3 units or 7 units).Label both axes of the graph and include the units. There are 2 marks for doing this correctly.All points must be accurately plotted (within a distance of 1mm or less from the correct position) with “x” or “+”. There are 3 marks for this (check it!).Most graphs will be straight lines. There will be 1 mark for drawing a line of best fit correctly. It should have approximately equal numbers of points on either side of the line, and shouldn’t be influenced by obviously anomalous results. Anomalous results should be indicated if ignored. If the plotted points suggest a curve, a smooth curve should be drawn.You may have to find the gradient of graphs. Mark on the graph a large triangle that takes up most of the graph (each side should be minimum 8cm). Write on the triangle the value of the height and the value of the base with the units of each. The gradient = height/base, and the units of the gradients are units of height/units of base.Where an intercept is required it can either be read directly from the graph, or a suitable calculation may be required. Random errorsRandom errors are always present when an experiment is carried out. They can be reduced or minimised but never removed entirely. They are also described as the uncertainty in the measurement. They can be reduced by taking repeat readings. E.g. a measurement of length using a metre ruler can be given as (25.6 ± 0.1)cm. The units must be included.Uncertainty in the measurement from a set of results (e.g. a measurement is repeated 8 times to give 8 values for the length) can be found by first calculating the mean. However, this cannot be given to a higher number of significant figures than the original values. Then find the difference between the mean and the furthest away value and ± it.E.g. 8 readings of diameter of a wire are measured with a micrometer to the nearest 0.01mm0.30, 0.28, 0.29, 0.27, 0.28, 0.26, 0.31The values are all different, but not because a mistake has been made. The micrometer is only capable of giving readings to ±0.01mm, so this would be the error even if all readings were the same. There is also a small variation in the diameter of the wire.The mean of these values is 0.2825mm, 0.28mm to the correct number of significant figures. The smallest reading is 0.28mm, and the largest is 0.31mm. The differences between these and the mean are 0.02 and 0.03mm, so the diameter is (0.28 ± 0.03)mm.Minimum uncertainty – as mentioned above, there is always an uncertainty in each and every measurement and if there is no variation in readings then the uncertainty is the precision of the measuring instrument. Percentage uncertaintyThe most accurate reading is the one with the smallest percentage uncertainty. % uncertainty = (actual uncertainty/reading) x 100. Systematic errorsSystematic errors affect all readings by the same amount and are usually “zero errors”, for example:Zero errors in meters. This is where the meter doesn’t read zero when disconnected. Corrections can be made by adding or subtracting the required amount. E.g. if an ammeter reads +0.01A, 0.01A must be subtracted from every reading.Zero errors in other measuring instruments. This is where the instrument does not read zero even when the reading should obviously be zero. E.g. a micrometer that has been “zeroed” properly should read 0.000 when the jaws are tightened with nothing in between them. If they do not read 0.000, there is a zero error which can be corrected in the same way.
    OTHER RESOURCES:Disney0702's INCREDIBLY helpful recommended online revision guide:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Lau14's INCREDIBLY helpful scanned handwritten notes:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    [/FONT][/SIZE]
    I don't know if this helps anyone but it's a power point presentation about all of the gas laws if anyone wants to use it.
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: ppt A2-53b-Gases.ppt (988.5 KB, 45 views)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD223)
    When I finish astro, I'll publish another Astro revision guide.

In the meantime, is there any specific question you have involving them? It's just it's such a broad topic :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
    June 2014 Q1b(ii) please (if anyone has done it)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD223)
    *** OFFICIAL AQA PHYA5 NUCLEAR & THERMAL PHYSICS JUNE 2015 EXAM DISCUSSION THREAD ***

Date: 18th June 2015
    Time: 09:00am
    Duration: 1h 45m

Any resources or revision tips people are willing to share?

PHYA4 EXAM DISCUSSION THREAD:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3047347

RESOURCES:

Spoiler:
    Show

Recommended revision guide for the A2 exams (as flagged up by Disney0702):

Useful revision website for topic by topic questions on PHYA5 (as flagged up by Kennethm):
    Spoiler:
    Show

Lau14's INCREDIBLY helpful guide to the A2 EMPA:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Physics Practical Work – A2 EMPA

There are two assessed practical sessions (tasks 1 and 2), each one hour long and carried out in lessons under exam conditions, and a written section (duration: 1hr 15). The total mark for the EMPA is 55, with mark distribution varying very slightly between the three parts – usually 15-16 for each practical task and 23-24 or so for the written section. The EMPA is worth 60 UMS (half as much as the other papers, 20% of the year).

There are four written papers available (June 2010-2013) on the AQA website, but the practical sections are only available from 2013.

Measuring instruments – range and precision

The range of a measuring instrument is the lowest and highest reading it can measure (e.g. a thermometer may measure -20 to 100°C).

The precision of a measuring instrument is one scale division (this term may be used differently in other subjects, this is the definition for AQA Physics), e.g. the precision of the thermometer may be ±1°C. Usually given as a ± value, but the ± might be omitted sometimes.

Significant figures

Any reading you take must be given to the correct number of significant figures (e.g. when measuring with a ruler of precision ±0.001m, the reading of half a metre must be written as 0.500, not as 0.5. 50.0cm and 500mm is also acceptable, as long as your units are correct and consistent).

Dependent and independent variables

The independent variable readings are those chosen by you (or the ones you are told to take) before carrying out the experiment.
    The dependent variable readings are those that you measure. You must take a repeat reading of this.
    E.g. if you are looking at V/I characteristics you could set voltage to particular values and then measure the current. The voltage is the independent and the current is the dependent variable.

Recording your results

There are at least 5 marks available for this in total.

Two marks are for drawing a results table with a ruler and having the independent variable in the left hand column.
    Include a separate column for any values calculated to plot a graph (e.g. if you have to plot a graph of 1/x but you’ve measured x, add a column for 1/x).

There are two marks for using the correct number of significant figures for every reading (see above).
    There is another mark for including all units in the table headings. Use either the name of the unit in full or the accepted abbreviation.

Graph plotting

There are at least 9 marks available for this.
    The origin does not have to be included unless proportionality is to be shown. If the origin is included mark on both “0”s.

Choose a scale so that the points cover more than 50% of each axis of A4 graph paper (28x20cm), so horizontal separation of first and last points must not be less than 10cm and vertical separation of first and last points must not be less than 14cm. There are 2 marks available for this. Also pick a scale that is easy to plot and take readings for (e.g. 1cm = 10 units, 2 units or 4 units. Not 1cm = 3 units or 7 units).

Label both axes of the graph and include the units. There are 2 marks for doing this correctly.

All points must be accurately plotted (within a distance of 1mm or less from the correct position) with “x” or “+”. There are 3 marks for this (check it!).

Most graphs will be straight lines. There will be 1 mark for drawing a line of best fit correctly. It should have approximately equal numbers of points on either side of the line, and shouldn’t be influenced by obviously anomalous results. Anomalous results should be indicated if ignored. If the plotted points suggest a curve, a smooth curve should be drawn.

You may have to find the gradient of graphs. Mark on the graph a large triangle that takes up most of the graph (each side should be minimum 8cm). Write on the triangle the value of the height and the value of the base with the units of each. The gradient = height/base, and the units of the gradients are units of height/units of base.

Where an intercept is required it can either be read directly from the graph, or a suitable calculation may be required.

Random errors

Random errors are always present when an experiment is carried out. They can be reduced or minimised but never removed entirely. They are also described as the uncertainty in the measurement. They can be reduced by taking repeat readings. E.g. a measurement of length using a metre ruler can be given as (25.6 ± 0.1)cm. The units must be included.

Uncertainty in the measurement from a set of results (e.g. a measurement is repeated 8 times to give 8 values for the length) can be found by first calculating the mean. However, this cannot be given to a higher number of significant figures than the original values. Then find the difference between the mean and the furthest away value and ± it.

E.g. 8 readings of diameter of a wire are measured with a micrometer to the nearest 0.01mm
    0.30, 0.28, 0.29, 0.27, 0.28, 0.26, 0.31

The values are all different, but not because a mistake has been made. The micrometer is only capable of giving readings to ±0.01mm, so this would be the error even if all readings were the same. There is also a small variation in the diameter of the wire.

The mean of these values is 0.2825mm, 0.28mm to the correct number of significant figures. The smallest reading is 0.28mm, and the largest is 0.31mm. The differences between these and the mean are 0.02 and 0.03mm, so the diameter is (0.28 ± 0.03)mm.

Minimum uncertainty – as mentioned above, there is always an uncertainty in each and every measurement and if there is no variation in readings then the uncertainty is the precision of the measuring instrument.

Percentage uncertainty

The most accurate reading is the one with the smallest percentage uncertainty. % uncertainty = (actual uncertainty/reading) x 100.

Systematic errors

Systematic errors affect all readings by the same amount and are usually “zero errors”, for example:

Zero errors in meters. This is where the meter doesn’t read zero when disconnected. Corrections can be made by adding or subtracting the required amount. E.g. if an ammeter reads +0.01A, 0.01A must be subtracted from every reading.

Zero errors in other measuring instruments. This is where the instrument does not read zero even when the reading should obviously be zero. E.g. a micrometer that has been “zeroed” properly should read 0.000 when the jaws are tightened with nothing in between them. If they do not read 0.000, there is a zero error which can be corrected in the same way.

OTHER RESOURCES:
    Disney0702's INCREDIBLY helpful recommended online revision guide:
    Spoiler:
    Show

Lau14's
    INCREDIBLY helpful scanned handwritten notes:
    Spoiler:
    Show

[/FONT][/SIZE]
    Could you add this to the resources guide please? (old past papers and mark schemes) for extra practice.
    http://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/scien...d-mark-schemes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Caz_)
    I don't know if this helps anyone but it's a power point presentation about all of the gas laws if anyone wants to use it.
    I'll add that to the first post! thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheRAG)
    June 2014 Q1b(ii) please (if anyone has done it)
    Ah, I haven't done that paper :/ got it as a mock soon! Sorry!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.