Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

AQA Physics PHYA5 - Thursday 18th June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread] Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Protoxylic)
    So what paper are we all planning to start first in the actual exam? I'm planning to start the option topic paper first; turning points for me.
    I just tend to do them in order (so core then astro), I've actually never thought about it before though! I skip between the two a bit because when I go through papers the first time I leave six markers and anything I can't instantly see how to do until the second go through so that I don't waste any time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Protoxylic)
    So what paper are we all planning to start first in the actual exam? I'm planning to start the option topic paper first; turning points for me.
    Currently doing all questions in order and leaving the six marker for the last.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by simonli2575)
    Currently doing all questions in order and leaving the six marker for the last.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    (Original post by Lau14)
    I just tend to do them in order (so core then astro), I've actually never thought about it before though! I skip between the two a bit because when I go through papers the first time I leave six markers and anything I can't instantly see how to do until the second go through so that I don't waste any time.
    Do you think instead it might be worth doing both 6 markers first?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD223)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I don't think it matters to me because after I finished all the questions, I still have plenty of time left to go through all the questions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD223)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Nooo. Haha. Every time I've done that I've interpreted the question wrong or spent too long on it meaning I've got no time left. Too many marks elsewhere to get rather than risking it on the 6 marker. (Especially in unit 4)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Caz_)
    Nooo. Haha. Every time I've done that I've interpreted the question wrong or spent too long on it meaning I've got no time left. Too many marks elsewhere to get rather than risking it on the 6 marker. (Especially in unit 4)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    (Original post by simonli2575)
    I don't think it matters to me because after I finished all the questions, I still have plenty of time left to go through all the questions.
    Interesting viewpoints - thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD223)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I hear this method a lot but it doesn't really work for me! I prefer to do things in a kind of easiest - hardest order almost (actually more like a least writing - most writing).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lau14)
    I hear this method a lot but it doesn't really work for me! I prefer to do things in a kind of easiest - hardest order almost (actually more like a least writing - most writing).
    Yeah it's not so much the difficulty as the time consumption!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    any last minute tips for the EMPA?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aprocrastinator)
    any last minute tips for the EMPA?
    Have you read Lau14's guide?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    So the physics empa went awfully!!!

ReputationRep:
    So the physics empa went awfully!!!
    Did anything 'unexpected' come up? Like the AS Physics if you did that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChemPhysMath)
    Did anything 'unexpected' come up? Like the AS Physics if you did that.
    Anything that comes up is unexpected tbh

ReputationRep:
    Anything that comes up is unexpected tbh
    Ah I'm sure you did okay! I did mine on Tuesday.

Please don't disclose specifics to people now you've done it though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD223)
    Ah I'm sure you did okay! I did mine on Tuesday.

Please don't disclose specifics to people now you've done it though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I really didn't tbh!!! But I got a C last year in the empa but got just over 90% so I'm determined to get that A*

ReputationRep:
    I really didn't tbh!!! But I got a C last year in the empa but got just over 90% so I'm determined to get that A*
    Aha me too! Did you resit the AS EMPA? I chose not to as I got 273 last year anyway

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD223)
    Aha me too! Did you resit the AS EMPA? I chose not to as I got 273 last year anywayPosted from TSR Mobile
    No because 1) really expensive and I was spending lots of money on remarks and getting papers back 2) really didn't want to lol 3) my Physics UMS wasn't relevant as much as my other three for my subject and it was already over 90% so not bad!

I got 271! looking at the ums conversions for 6X it looks pretty nice so hopefully I won't do worse than last year

ReputationRep:
    No because 1) really expensive and I was spending lots of money on remarks and getting papers back 2) really didn't want to lol 3) my Physics UMS wasn't relevant as much as my other three for my subject and it was already over 90% so not bad!

I got 271! looking at the ums conversions for 6X it looks pretty nice so hopefully I won't do worse than last year
    Is the UMS conversion for 6X better than 3X?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD223)
    Is the UMS conversion for 6X better than 3X?
    a little bit better, not significant but I had forgotten how good they were lol

ReputationRep:
    a little bit better, not significant but I had forgotten how good they were lol
    Ah. I got 41 UMS last year. Found out that was 1 UMS mark off of a B, and 7 UMS off of an A. 😐

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.