Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

AQA Physics PHYA5 - Thursday 18th June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread] Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi, if they ask for the derivation of the equation for an ideal gas, what would the answer be? My book has 2 pages of working for it, but obviously the exam wont require a 2 page answer, so what would a 6 mark answer for that look like?
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jed_Singh)
    Hi, if they ask for the derivation of the equation for an ideal gas, what would the answer be? My book has 2 pages of working for it, but obviously the exam wont require a 2 page answer, so what would a 6 mark answer for that look like?
    Thanks
    They might not ask you to derive the whole thing at once for a six marker I guess, but if they ask you to do it then you will have to do everything from those two pages I expect. The book probably has more explanation to help you understand it etc (the version I have in my notes in the first post is less than a page).

ReputationRep:
    I put together a list of six markers that have come up for quick reference, so here's unit 5

Nuclear & Thermal
    Spoiler:
    Show
    2010 - n a thermal nuclear reactor, one fission reaction typically releases 2 or 3 neutrons. Describe and explain how a constant rate of fission is maintained in a reactor by considering what events or sequence of events may happen to the released neutrons

2011 - By considering the motion of the molecules explain how a gas exerts a pressure and why the volume of the container must change if the pressure is to remain constant as the temperature increases.

2012 - Nuclear radii have been investigated using α particles in Rutherford scattering experiments and by using electrons in diffraction experiments. Make comparisons between these two methods of estimating the radius of a nucleus. Detail of any apparatus used is not required. For each method your answer should contain:
    • the principles on which each experiment is based including a reference to an appropriate equation
    • an explanation of what may limit the accuracy of each method
    • a discussion of the advantages and disadvantages of each method

2013 - A radioactive source used in a school laboratory is thought to emit α particles and γ radiation. Describe an experiment that may be used to verify the types of radiation emitted by the source. The experiment described should allow you to determine how the intensity of radiation varies with distance in air or with the thickness of suitable absorbers. Your answer should include:
    • the apparatus you would use and any safety precautions you would take
    • the measurements you would make
    • how the measurements would be used to reach a final decision about the emitted radiation.

2014 - A quantity of highly active waste removed from a nuclear reactor consists of similar amounts of two radioisotopes, X and Y. X has a half-life of about 20 days and emits γ rays and β– particles. Y has a half-life of about 20 years and emits α particles. Assume that both X and Y become relatively stable after their initial decays. Discuss the problems of storing the waste until it is safe and describe and explain the way in which the waste would normally be treated. Your account should include details of:
    • a comparison of the storage problems associated with X and Y in both the short term and the long term
    • how the waste is treated initially at the reactor site and how it could be stored safely for a long time
    Astro (none of the other options sorry!)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    2010 – In 1997 a type 1a supernova was observed which contributed to the controversial conclusion that the expansion of the Universe is accelerating. Explain why observations of supernovae led to the conclusion that the Universe is expanding at an accelerating rate and discuss why this conclusion is controversial.

2011 – The spectrum of Deneb contains Hydrogen Balmer absorption lines. Describe how Hydrogen Balmer absorption lines are produced in the spectrum of a star.

2012 – Different types of telescope are used to detect the various parts of the electromagnetic spectrum. Discuss with reference to three different parts of the electromagnetic spectrum, the factors which should be taken into account when deciding the siting and size of telescopes.

2013 – Many astronomical observations rely on a Charge Coupled Device (CCD) to obtain an image. Describe the structure and operation of the CCD and discuss the advantages of using a CCD for astronomical observations.

2014 – Explain what is meant by the Big Bang theory. Your answer should include:
    • a description of the main aspects of the theory
    • an explanation of the different pieces of evidence that support the theory.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MichuAtDeGeaBa)
    Yep was the worst paper I sat in my life but i was not prepared for that exam last yea
    Oh right did you sit it for real? Wow. How have you prepared this time to make you feel more ready?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jed_Singh)
    Thanks
    I would learn it to the detail of Lau14's notes. The CGP guide and Nelson Thornes book has greater detail for understanding but it's not likely they will expect that depth.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lau14)
    I put together a list of six markers that have come up for quick reference, so here's unit 5

Nuclear & Thermal
    Spoiler:
    Show
    2010 - n a thermal nuclear reactor, one fission reaction typically releases 2 or 3 neutrons. Describe and explain how a constant rate of fission is maintained in a reactor by considering what events or sequence of events may happen to the released neutrons

2011 - By considering the motion of the molecules explain how a gas exerts a pressure and why the volume of the container must change if the pressure is to remain constant as the temperature increases.

2012 - Nuclear radii have been investigated using α particles in Rutherford scattering experiments and by using electrons in diffraction experiments. Make comparisons between these two methods of estimating the radius of a nucleus. Detail of any apparatus used is not required. For each method your answer should contain:
    •the principles on which each experiment is based including a reference to an appropriate equation
    •an explanation of what may limit the accuracy of each method
    •a discussion of the advantages and disadvantages of each method

2013 - A radioactive source used in a school laboratory is thought to emit α particles and γ radiation. Describe an experiment that may be used to verify the types of radiation emitted by the source. The experiment described should allow you to determine how the intensity of radiation varies with distance in air or with the thickness of suitable absorbers. Your answer should include:
    •the apparatus you would use and any safety precautions you would take
    •the measurements you would make
    •how the measurements would be used to reach a final decision about the emitted radiation.

2014 - A quantity of highly active waste removed from a nuclear reactor consists of similar amounts of two radioisotopes, X and Y. X has a half-life of about 20 days and emits γ rays and β– particles. Y has a half-life of about 20 years and emits α particles. Assume that both X and Y become relatively stable after their initial decays. Discuss the problems of storing the waste until it is safe and describe and explain the way in which the waste would normally be treated. Your account should include details of:
    •a comparison of the storage problems associated with X and Y in both the short term and the long term
    •how the waste is treated initially at the reactor site and how it could be stored safely for a long time
    Astro (none of the other options sorry!)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    2010 – In 1997 a type 1a supernova was observed which contributed to the controversial conclusion that the expansion of the Universe is accelerating. Explain why observations of supernovae led to the conclusion that the Universe is expanding at an accelerating rate and discuss why this conclusion is controversial.

2011 – The spectrum of Deneb contains Hydrogen Balmer absorption lines. Describe how Hydrogen Balmer absorption lines are produced in the spectrum of a star.

2012 – Different types of telescope are used to detect the various parts of the electromagnetic spectrum. Discuss with reference to three different parts of the electromagnetic spectrum, the factors which should be taken into account when deciding the siting and size of telescopes.

2013 – Many astronomical observations rely on a Charge Coupled Device (CCD) to obtain an image. Describe the structure and operation of the CCD and discuss the advantages of using a CCD for astronomical observations.

2014 – Explain what is meant by the Big Bang theory. Your answer should include:
    •a description of the main aspects of the theory
    •an explanation of the different pieces of evidence that support the theory.
    Thank you for this! I will add it to the first post if you don't mind?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD223)
    Thank you for this! I will add it to the first post if you don't mind?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No problem How's your revision going?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lau14)
    No problem How's your revision going?
    Slowly! Revised content etc more than past papers - it's hard juggling everything at this time of year!

You?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD223)
    Slowly! Revised content etc more than past papers - it's hard juggling everything at this time of year!

You?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I've pretty much ignored physics recently! I'll get back to it over half term, just focusing on the maths exams for the next few weeks I think. Balancing all the subjects will get a bit tricker closer to exams I think :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lau14)
    I've pretty much ignored physics recently! I'll get back to it over half term, just focusing on the maths exams for the next few weeks I think. Balancing all the subjects will get a bit tricker closer to exams I think :/
    I agree. Me too really. Got C3 and C4 and history before either of the physics exams :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know where I can find the answers to the optional unit textbook questions? (the Kerboodle one), just tried a past paper..14/35 lol...All this Einstein stuff takes some time to really understand.

Otherwise does anyone know any good resources to test myself on before trying another paper?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD223)
    I agree. Me too really. Got C3 and C4 and history before either of the physics exams :/ Posted from TSR Mobile
    I have fp3, fp4, s1, c3, fp1 and a chemistry exam before the first physics one so yeah, really not my priority currently! Although I will start putting work in again after fp4 because I have past papers still to do for physics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cosmocos)
    Does anyone know where I can find the answers to the optional unit textbook questions? (the Kerboodle one), just tried a past paper..14/35 lol...All this Einstein stuff takes some time to really understand.

Otherwise does anyone know any good resources to test myself on before trying another paper?

Thanks!
    It should be at the end of the last chapter in the set of notes?

For example, for Astro, it's after the last section of the book for that unit.

Have you got the CGP revision guide? It has good test yourself questions on each page.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lau14)
    I have fp3, fp4, s1, c3, fp1 and a chemistry exam before the first physics one so yeah, really not my priority currently! Although I will start putting work in again after fp4 because I have past papers still to do for physics.
    Ah nice! That's a heck of a lot! How many after those?

Me too - gonna get cracking soon.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD223)
    Ah nice! That's a heck of a lot! How many after those? Me too - gonna get cracking soon. Posted from TSR Mobile
    12 in total so 5 after the first physics exam! Yeah I keep saying I'm going to work... and I don't not do it, I just end up only doing one thing when I was meant to do three or four!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lau14)
    12 in total so 5 after the first physics exam! Yeah I keep saying I'm going to work... and I don't not do it, I just end up only doing one thing when I was meant to do three or four!
    Ouch! I have:
    C3: 5th June
    History: 8th June
    C4: 9th June
    PHYA4: 11th June
    PHYA5: 18th June
    M2: 22nd June
    Computing: 23rd June

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD223)
    It should be at the end of the last chapter in the set of notes?

For example, for Astro, it's after the last section of the book for that unit.

Have you got the CGP revision guide? It has good test yourself questions on each page.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hmm..I don't exactly have a hard copy since it's my optional module, and I'll try out the ones on the CGP revision guide

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cosmocos)
    Hmm..I don't exactly have a hard copy since it's my optional module, and I'll try out the ones on the CGP revision guide

Thanks!
    Oh I see. What option is it? (Not Astro I'm assuming given the mention of Einstein).

No worries!

Have you done many past papers?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD223)
    Ouch! I have:
    C3: 5th June
    History: 8th June
    C4: 9th June
    PHYA4: 11th June
    PHYA5: 18th June
    M2: 22nd June
    Computing: 23rd June

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's not so bad, loads of them are maths exams and they're fairly well spread out this year!

FP3 Wednesday 13th May
    FP4 Wednesday 20th May
    S1 Wednesday 3rd June
    C3 and FP1 Friday 5th June
    Chem 4 Wednesday 10th June (PM)
    PHYA4 Thursday 11th June
    S2 Friday 12th June
    Chem 5 Monday 15th June (PM)
    FP2 Tuesday 16th June (PM)
    PHYA5 Thursday 18th June
    M2 Monday 22nd June

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lau14)
    It's not so bad, loads of them are maths exams and they're fairly well spread out this year!

FP3 Wednesday 13th May
    FP4 Wednesday 20th May
    S1 Wednesday 3rd June
    C3 and FP1 Friday 5th June
    Chem 4 Wednesday 10th June (PM)
    PHYA4 Thursday 11th June
    S2 Friday 12th June
    Chem 5 Monday 15th June (PM)
    FP2 Tuesday 16th June (PM)
    PHYA5 Thursday 18th June
    M2 Monday 22nd June
    Seems harsh for FP1 and C3 to be on the same day...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.