Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

AQA Physics PHYA5 - Thursday 18th June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread] Watch

(Original post by CD223)
    I see. I need to revise it too. I'd struggle to answer a six marker on that even though it's probably one of the "easier" topics. I can give an order but not reasons (EG: hydrogen runs out and star swells etc)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    totally agree that stars will came up on the astro paper, any predictions for section A i think it will be thermal for the 6 marker as its only come up on the june 2011 paper...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hellomoto.)
    totally agree that stars will came up on the astro paper, any predictions for section A i think it will be thermal for the 6 marker as its only come up on the june 2011 paper...
    Personally, I can see a SHC experiment.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD223)
    I see. I need to revise it too. I'd struggle to answer a six marker on that even though it's probably one of the "easier" topics. I can give an order but not reasons (EG: hydrogen runs out and star swells etc)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Maybe it would be good practice if any of us who want to write out an answer to a theoretical six marker, like you suggested (e.g. X has a larger mass (>3 solar masses) and Y has a lower mass (~1.4 solar masses), describe the life cycle of these stars), and then compare points between us to see what would likely be necessary to get the marks?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lau14)
    Maybe it would be good practice if any of us who want to write out an answer to a theoretical six marker, like you suggested (e.g. X has a larger mass (>3 solar masses) and Y has a lower mass (~1.4 solar masses), describe the life cycle of these stars), and then compare points between us to see what would likely be necessary to get the marks?
    I'd be up for that? I'll try and write an answer. It won't be great, mind, haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD223)
    I'd be up for that? I'll try and write an answer. It won't be great, mind, haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I haven't done any revision lately for physics (don't even have any notes with me tonight oops) so I don't expect mine will be great either! But anything is a good starting point and if it actually does come up in the exam we'll be prepared

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lau14)
    I haven't done any revision lately for physics (don't even have any notes with me tonight oops) so I don't expect mine will be great either! But anything is a good starting point and if it actually does come up in the exam we'll be prepared
    I'll get 'star'ted (pun was necessary) tonight.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD223)
    I'll get 'star'ted (pun was necessary) tonight.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Puns are always necessary I'll probably do mine shortly

ReputationRep:
    X has a larger mass (>3 solar masses) and Y has a lower mass (~1.4 solar masses), describe the life cycle of these stars.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Both star X and Y begin when dust and gas in a nebula slowly coalesce under gravity to form a protostar. As gravity pulls the gas in, it heats up, and eventually reaches ignition temperature and fusion of hydrogen into helium begins. When hydrostatic pressure outwards from fusion equals the force of gravity pulling inwards then the star is stable (a main sequence star).
    Hydrogen fusion takes place at the core of the star. When hydrogen in this region has all been fused into helium, fusion slows, therefore decreasing outwards pressure. The outer layers are pulled inwards and Helium and heavier elements undergo fusion (nuclei up to iron, the most stable, are formed). Hydrogen fusion continues outside the core, forming more Helium and causing the star to rapidly increase in size to a red giant (Y) or a red supergiant (X).

When star Y runs out of fuel for fusion, the outer layers separate from the core and form a planetary nebula. The remaining core is a white dwarf, which eventually cools to a black dwarf.

Star X has a large enough mass that when fusion stops, gravity pulls it in on itself. A star with a core of around 1.5-3 solar masses will form a neutron star - the star has enough mass to overcome electron degeneracy, and electrons are forced into protons to form neutrons. The star has a density equal to the density of a nucleus. The outer layers fall onto this core and rebound in a supernova. Elements heavier than iron are produced.
    If star X has a mass larger than this, it will form a black hole (an object with an escape velocity faster than the speed of light).

ReputationRep:
    Anyone have any tips for tackling the special relativity question calculations. They're not always 100% clear and it can be quite frustrating

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD223)
    Anyone doing astro?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    im doing astro although feeling a tad lost with it all. its just not sinking in and a lack of notes isn't helping

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lau14)
    X has a larger mass (>3 solar masses) and Y has a lower mass (~1.4 solar masses), describe the life cycle of these stars.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Both star X and Y begin when dust and gas in a nebula slowly coalesce under gravity to form a protostar. As gravity pulls the gas in, it heats up, and eventually reaches ignition temperature and fusion of hydrogen into helium begins. When hydrostatic pressure outwards from fusion equals the force of gravity pulling inwards then the star is stable (a main sequence star).
    Hydrogen fusion takes place at the core of the star. When hydrogen in this region has all been fused into helium, fusion slows, therefore decreasing outwards pressure. The outer layers are pulled inwards and Helium and heavier elements undergo fusion (nuclei up to iron, the most stable, are formed). Hydrogen fusion continues outside the core, forming more Helium and causing the star to rapidly increase in size to a red giant (Y) or a red supergiant (X).

When star Y runs out of fuel for fusion, the outer layers separate from the core and form a planetary nebula. The remaining core is a white dwarf, which eventually cools to a black dwarf.

Star X has a large enough mass that when fusion stops, gravity pulls it in on itself. A star with a core of around 1.5-3 solar masses will form a neutron star - the star has enough mass to overcome electron degeneracy, and electrons are forced into protons to form neutrons. The star has a density equal to the density of a nucleus. The outer layers fall onto this core and rebound in a supernova. Elements heavier than iron are produced.
    If star X has a mass larger than this, it will form a black hole (an object with an escape velocity faster than the speed of light).
    This is great! I'll make sure I look over and try and add to this tonight

Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fireiscatching1)
    im doing astro although feeling a tad lost with it all. its just not sinking in and a lack of notes isn't helping
    Have you seen the AQA Nelson Thornes course notes? They're pretty useful.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Burdittphysics on YouTube gives nice examples for the multiple choice section

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amanzz)
    Anyone have any tips for tackling the special relativity question calculations. They're not always 100% clear and it can be quite frustrating

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I still haven't done questions on that topic. In fact i haven't finished that topic yet
    What's absurd about the questions?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD223)
    This is great! I'll make sure I look over and try and add to this tonight

Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Needs some work doing on it (eg actually comparing it with my notes etc!) but not too bad considering we've got a while until the exam!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lau14)
    Needs some work doing on it (eg actually comparing it with my notes etc!) but not too bad considering we've got a while until the exam!
    I'm trying not to rely too heavily on the week between exams :L

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Name:  Screen Shot 2015-05-24 at 21.21.44.png
Views: 53
Size:  16.9 KB

In a question such as this, I would be tempted to give the answer:

"Rain, pollution, cloud coverage"

Could the mark be penalised?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JaySP)
    Name:  Screen Shot 2015-05-24 at 21.21.44.png
Views: 53
Size:  16.9 KB

In a question such as this, I would be tempted to give the answer:

"Rain, pollution, cloud coverage"

Could the mark be penalised?
    It's hard to say. What is the actual answer?

You are correct, it just depends on how specific they want you to be.

Personally, I would say "water (vapour)".

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD223)
    It's hard to say. What is the actual answer?

You are correct, it just depends on how specific they want you to be.

Personally, I would say "water (vapour)".

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Water vapour is the correct answer buts lets say i did put that instead of rain. Would i have still got the mark amidst the other answers?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JaySP)
    Water vapour is the correct answer buts lets say i did put that instead of rain. Would i have still got the mark amidst the other answers?
    Does that mark scheme allow for other answers? It depends on what the MS actually says. "Any sensible answer" is sometimes included.

That said, because it said "in the atmosphere", it makes me think of a particular element/compound in the atmosphere, over physical entities such as clouds.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.