Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

AQA Physics PHYA5 - Thursday 18th June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread] Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lau14)
    Well the nuclear physics test was obviously well planned... the 4th question was one we did last week and work 10/36 marks. Must start revising for mock soon but I'm so tired :/
    Ah that's unfortunate! I'm tired too

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD223)
    Ah that's unfortunate! I'm tired too

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Kind of regretting choosing 4 a levels

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Caz_)
    Kind of regretting choosing 4 a levels

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Me too! What do you do?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD223)
    Me too! What do you do?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Same here (although I don't really regret it much, because I had 5 subjects last year so it's still an improvement now!), I do Maths (completed A level last year but I'm resitting c3), Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry and I did AS bio

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD223)
    Me too! What do you do?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Chemistry, physics, maths and further maths. Everything is just stressing me out so much at the moment. What about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Caz_)
    Chemistry, physics, maths and further maths. Everything is just stressing me out so much at the moment. What about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah I can sympathise! Maths, physics, computing and history! Which do you find hardest?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD223)
    Yeah I can sympathise! Maths, physics, computing and history! Which do you find hardest?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Further maths. Or maybe chemistry. :/ not sure - what about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Caz_)
    Further maths. Or maybe chemistry. :/ not sure - what about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ah that's understandable. I've heard they're hard. For me it's physics actually!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD223)
    Ah that's understandable. I've heard they're hard. For me it's physics actually!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Physics is really tough in some areas I find too! Ironically, I do chemistry and still struggle with physics kinetic theory.(In unit5) I also really don't like gravitational fields in unit 4 either blehh.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Caz_)
    Physics is really tough in some areas I find too! Ironically, I do chemistry and still struggle with physics kinetic theory.(In unit5) I also really don't like gravitational fields in unit 4 either blehh.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah thermal physics is my weakness too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD223)
    Yeah thermal physics is my weakness too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That's what us helpers on the studentroom are for! Post away.

ReputationRep:
    A cola drink of mass 0. 200 kg at a temperature of 3. 0 oC is poured into a glass beaker.The beaker has a mass of 0.250kg and is initially at a temperature of 30.0oC.

specific heat capacity of glass = 840 J kg–1 K–1

specific heat capacity of cola = 4190 J kg–1 K–1

Show that the final temperature, Tf, of the cola drink is about 8 oC when it reachesthermal equilibrium with the beaker.

Assume no heat is gained from or lost to the surroundings.

I have no idea what to do! Any help would be much appreciated.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saad97)
    A cola drink of mass 0. 200 kg at a temperature of 3. 0 oC is poured into a glass beaker.The beaker has a mass of 0.250kg and is initially at a temperature of 30.0oC.

specific heat capacity of glass = 840 J kg–1 K–1

specific heat capacity of cola = 4190 J kg–1 K–1

Show that the final temperature, Tf, of the cola drink is about 8 oC when it reachesthermal equilibrium with the beaker.

Assume no heat is gained from or lost to the surroundings.

I have no idea what to do! Any help would be much appreciated.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Does this help at all?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Caz_)
    Does this help at all?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you! That helps a lot. Just one question, how did set up the equations? I know you used mct but how did you know to use (30-tf) and (tf-3.0)?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thank you! That helps a lot. Just one question, how did set up the equations? I know you used mct but how did you know to use (30-tf) and (tf-3.0)?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I kinda fudged it a little. Because the temperature we were aiming for is around 8, doing it that way around keeps the change in temperature positive if you know what I mean? If you did (T-30) it would be negative and mess stuff up.

There's probably a better reason to doing this but that's the reason why I did it

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Caz_)
    I kinda fudged it a little. Because the temperature we were aiming for is around 8, doing it that way around keeps the change in temperature positive if you know what I mean? If you did (T-30) it would be negative and mess stuff up.

There's probably a better reason to doing this but that's the reason why I did it

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh true, it makes sense this way. Thanks once again.
    Have you got any decent revision notes for AQA Unit 5?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Oh true, it makes sense this way. Thanks once again.
    Have you got any decent revision notes for AQA Unit 5?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I mean I only have my personal notes that I made in class but I can scan all the stuff I made on thermal in if you want I mean you can't really read the picture but that's kinda what they look like with layout and such. Let me know if you want me to scan them for you

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Caz_)
    I mean I only have my personal notes that I made in class but I can scan all the stuff I made on thermal in if you want I mean you can't really read the picture but that's kinda what they look like with layout and such. Let me know if you want me to scan them for you

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Scanning them is going to be a right hassle for you. :/
    It's fine, was wondering if you had any notes typed up because my teacher this year is awful. Don't know how she graduated with a physics degree because she doesn't seem to know anything. Whenever we ask her a question regarding the content she has to google it and gets answers off wikipedia! -.-
    But thanks for offering anyway and for your help on the question. Much appreciated!
    I'm probably going to make summary notes from the CGP revision guide.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phichi)
    That's what us helpers on the studentroom are for! Post away.
    Gonna try some of the exam style questions from the textbook later so I may post a few on here to clarify

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Scanning them is going to be a right hassle for you. :/
    It's fine, was wondering if you had any notes typed up because my teacher this year is awful. Don't know how she graduated with a physics degree because she doesn't seem to know anything. Whenever we ask her a question regarding the content she has to google it and gets answers off wikipedia! -.-
    But thanks for offering anyway and for your help on the question. Much appreciated!
    I'm probably going to make summary notes from the CGP revision guide.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The CGP revision guide is good for brief notes I find. I'd do that and then use the AQA book as a reference when you come across something you don't understand.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.