The Student Room Group

AQA Physics PHYA5 - Thursday 18th June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Lau14
Well the nuclear physics test was obviously well planned... the 4th question was one we did last week and work 10/36 marks. Must start revising for mock soon but I'm so tired :/

Ah that's unfortunate! I'm tired too :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 81
Original post by CD223
Ah that's unfortunate! I'm tired too :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Kind of regretting choosing 4 a levels :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 82
Original post by _Caz_
Kind of regretting choosing 4 a levels :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Me too! What do you do?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 83
Original post by CD223
Me too! What do you do?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same here (although I don't really regret it much, because I had 5 subjects last year so it's still an improvement now!), I do Maths (completed A level last year but I'm resitting c3), Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry and I did AS bio
Reply 84
Original post by CD223
Me too! What do you do?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Chemistry, physics, maths and further maths. Everything is just stressing me out so much at the moment. What about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 85
Original post by _Caz_
Chemistry, physics, maths and further maths. Everything is just stressing me out so much at the moment. What about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I can sympathise! Maths, physics, computing and history! Which do you find hardest?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 86
Original post by CD223
Yeah I can sympathise! Maths, physics, computing and history! Which do you find hardest?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Further maths. Or maybe chemistry. :/ not sure - what about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 87
Original post by _Caz_
Further maths. Or maybe chemistry. :/ not sure - what about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah that's understandable. I've heard they're hard. For me it's physics actually!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 88
Original post by CD223
Ah that's understandable. I've heard they're hard. For me it's physics actually!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Physics is really tough in some areas I find too! Ironically, I do chemistry and still struggle with physics kinetic theory.(In unit5) I also really don't like gravitational fields in unit 4 either blehh.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 89
Original post by _Caz_
Physics is really tough in some areas I find too! Ironically, I do chemistry and still struggle with physics kinetic theory.(In unit5) I also really don't like gravitational fields in unit 4 either blehh.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah thermal physics is my weakness too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 90
Original post by CD223
Yeah thermal physics is my weakness too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's what us helpers on the studentroom are for! :biggrin: Post away.
Reply 91
A cola drink of mass 0. 200 kg at a temperature of 3. 0 oC is poured into a glass beaker.The beaker has a mass of 0.250kg and is initially at a temperature of 30.0oC.

specific heat capacity of glass = 840 J kg–1 K–1

specific heat capacity of cola = 4190 J kg–1 K–1

Show that the final temperature, Tf, of the cola drink is about 8 oC when it reachesthermal equilibrium with the beaker.

Assume no heat is gained from or lost to the surroundings.

I have no idea what to do! Any help would be much appreciated. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 92
Original post by saad97
A cola drink of mass 0. 200 kg at a temperature of 3. 0 oC is poured into a glass beaker.The beaker has a mass of 0.250kg and is initially at a temperature of 30.0oC.

specific heat capacity of glass = 840 J kg–1 K–1

specific heat capacity of cola = 4190 J kg–1 K–1

Show that the final temperature, Tf, of the cola drink is about 8 oC when it reachesthermal equilibrium with the beaker.

Assume no heat is gained from or lost to the surroundings.

I have no idea what to do! Any help would be much appreciated. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Does this help at all? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 93
Original post by _Caz_
Does this help at all? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you! That helps a lot. Just one question, how did set up the equations? I know you used mct but how did you know to use (30-tf) and (tf-3.0)?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 94
Original post by saad97
Thank you! That helps a lot. Just one question, how did set up the equations? I know you used mct but how did you know to use (30-tf) and (tf-3.0)?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I kinda fudged it a little. Because the temperature we were aiming for is around 8, doing it that way around keeps the change in temperature positive if you know what I mean? If you did (T-30) it would be negative and mess stuff up.

There's probably a better reason to doing this but that's the reason why I did it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 95
Original post by _Caz_
I kinda fudged it a little. Because the temperature we were aiming for is around 8, doing it that way around keeps the change in temperature positive if you know what I mean? If you did (T-30) it would be negative and mess stuff up.

There's probably a better reason to doing this but that's the reason why I did it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh true, it makes sense this way. Thanks once again. :smile:
Have you got any decent revision notes for AQA Unit 5?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 96
Original post by saad97
Oh true, it makes sense this way. Thanks once again. :smile:
Have you got any decent revision notes for AQA Unit 5?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I mean I only have my personal notes that I made in class but I can scan all the stuff I made on thermal in if you want :smile: I mean you can't really read the picture but that's kinda what they look like with layout and such. Let me know if you want me to scan them for you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 97
Original post by _Caz_
I mean I only have my personal notes that I made in class but I can scan all the stuff I made on thermal in if you want :smile: I mean you can't really read the picture but that's kinda what they look like with layout and such. Let me know if you want me to scan them for you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scanning them is going to be a right hassle for you. :/
It's fine, was wondering if you had any notes typed up because my teacher this year is awful. Don't know how she graduated with a physics degree because she doesn't seem to know anything. Whenever we ask her a question regarding the content she has to google it and gets answers off wikipedia! -.-
But thanks for offering anyway and for your help on the question. Much appreciated! :biggrin:
I'm probably going to make summary notes from the CGP revision guide.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 98
Original post by Phichi
That's what us helpers on the studentroom are for! :biggrin: Post away.

Gonna try some of the exam style questions from the textbook later so I may post a few on here to clarify :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 99
Original post by saad97
Scanning them is going to be a right hassle for you. :/
It's fine, was wondering if you had any notes typed up because my teacher this year is awful. Don't know how she graduated with a physics degree because she doesn't seem to know anything. Whenever we ask her a question regarding the content she has to google it and gets answers off wikipedia! -.-
But thanks for offering anyway and for your help on the question. Much appreciated! :biggrin:
I'm probably going to make summary notes from the CGP revision guide.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The CGP revision guide is good for brief notes I find. I'd do that and then use the AQA book as a reference when you come across something you don't understand.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending