Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

AQA Physics PHYA5 - Thursday 18th June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread] Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD223)
    That's okay! Rest up sorry for pestering you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ah it's no problem I somehow woke up at 10 today (lets just say I'm not a morning person) so I managed to get a lot of work done but now I'm ridiculously tired out!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD223)
    Yeah they use concrete.

Purely due to structural engineering it's less practical to use lead due to container fatigue etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Great thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lau14)
    Ah it's no problem I somehow woke up at 10 today (lets just say I'm not a morning person) so I managed to get a lot of work done but now I'm ridiculously tired out!
    No worries! Hope you had a good night's sleep just then that's if you're even awake now to read this hahah!

(Original post by PotterPhysics)
    Great thanks

No problem! How do you find PHYA5 compared to PHYA4?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD223)
    No worries! Hope you had a good night's sleep just then that's if you're even awake now to read this hahah!

No problem! How do you find PHYA5 compared to PHYA4?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Definitely PHYA5 >> PHYA4. I just found the topics to be more interesting on the whole, especially the stuff on measuring the charge of an electron (5B -- turning points). Looking to go into those topics deeper in the summer, probably from either Whelan or Halliday/Resnick.

ReputationRep:
    Hey does anyone know why a graph of 'intensity of diffracted electrons' against 'diffraction angle' has a shape like the one below

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PotterPhysics)
    Definitely PHYA5 >> PHYA4. I just found the topics to be more interesting on the whole, especially the stuff on measuring the charge of an electron (5B -- turning points). Looking to go into those topics deeper in the summer, probably from either Whelan or Halliday/Resnick.
    Sounds interesting. I loved Astro but hated the core PHYA5 stuff :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by huniibehi)
    Hey does anyone know why a graph of 'intensity of diffracted electrons' against 'diffraction angle' has a shape like the one below

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hopefully this should help;

Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1432804856.332287.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  216.4 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it sure does! Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it sure does! Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No worries! Not sure if we'll be tested on it

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it doesn't seem to be on the new spec, saw it come up years back

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it doesn't seem to be on the new spec, saw it come up years back

Posted from TSR Mobile
    My teacher glossed over it. I'll try and learn it but at best you'll be asked on the shape of the graph. All you'll need to say is "electrons are attracted by the nucleus unlike alpha particles causing a decrease in intensity as the angle increases"

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD223)
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    Awake and working again! (well, on a break). Going to actually do some physics today finally

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lau14)
    Awake and working again! (well, on a break). Going to actually do some physics today finally
    Me too! Eventually

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    has anyone got any good thermal/gas questions. Ive done all the old questions but they are all just really basic. I want ones which are more similar to the current spec.

Failing that i think ill write my own if someone would check them for me, thanks

ReputationRep:
    Could someone explain what it means for an image to be formed at infinity and how this occurs?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JaySP)
    Could someone explain what it means for an image to be formed at infinity and how this occurs?
    An image formed at infinity means light rays from a point source never intersect (ie: they're parallel).

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD223)
    An image formed at infinity means light rays from a point source never intersect (ie: they're parallel).

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hey, i'm still a tad confused. So the rays from the point source are said to be parallel as they are very far away. What does this have to do with the image being magnified and at infinity? Does it mean that of there was a screen at infinity, the object would be projected on to the screen?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Are type 1b 1c and II supernova part of the life cycle of a massive star?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JaySP)
    Hey, i'm still a tad confused. So the rays from the point source are said to be parallel as they are very far away. What does this have to do with the image being magnified and at infinity? Does it mean that of there was a screen at infinity, the object would be projected on to the screen?

Thanks!
    Parallel lines never cross so light from the object would never be able to be projected onto a screen.

How do you mean "magnified and at infinity"? Where have you seen that written?

Because I'd have thought you couldn't "magnify" an object at infinity by its very definition - the light rays never cross so no magnification can take place?

If it helps to think about it like that, then I suppose you could say they are captured at infinity, but I find it easier to grasp that they just never cross so you can't capture them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by frankiejayx)
    Are type 1b 1c and II supernova part of the life cycle of a massive star?
    We don't need to know about them only type 1a, which occurs in some, but not all, white dwarf stars.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.