The Student Room Group

AQA Physics PHYA5 - Thursday 18th June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

On part aii, can someone confirm to me that there is a mistake in the masses, and there is difference between what they say in the question, and what they use in the mark scheme, or am I going mad?

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1434304573.940308.jpg

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1434304581.794205.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1641
Original post by Klaxoii
On part aii, can someone confirm to me that there is a mistake in the masses, and there is difference between what they say in the question, and what they use in the mark scheme, or am I going mad?

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1434304573.940308.jpg

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1434304581.794205.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes i get 3.2*10^-18

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1642
Original post by NEWT0N
For turning points do we need to know about dipole detectors?

Never heard of them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1643
Original post by NEWT0N
pg 8: https://e301d5e52e4368a053856306f6475860b017e094.googledrive.com/host/0B1ZiqBksUHNYemtzOWdnbGVnRVk/Textbooks-for-Options/D2%20Wave-Particle%20Duality.pdf

I don't think we need to know about them just making sure. They don't appear either on antonine physics or the cgp study guide (not the revision guide which is pretty much useless for turning points)

Note: Antonine physics explains polarisation of radio slightly differently: http://www.antonine-education.co.uk/Pages/Physics_5_Options/Turning_points/TP_03/turning_points_3.htm

Is it that.
I completely forgot what meant. Lol

But i think you only need to know about Hertz experiment when used these detectors.(i am assuming that sparks thing is same as dippole detector)

I am not very helpful sorry

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1644
Original post by NEWT0N
The spark gap experiment was only to demonstrate the existence of radio waves (I think).
Metal sheet and concave metal (i.e. reflectors) were used to find their wavelength via the nodes of the stationary wave produced between the two reflectors.
Dipole detector is to show that they can be polarized.

I guess thats somethinng new for me to revise i completely overlooked them. Thnks though

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1645
Anyone doing Astro fancy helping me to understand what "the eye ring" is for a telescope in normal adjustment?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1646
Original post by NEWT0N
No worries

If you are not already doing so, I highly recommend reading the official AQA notes found here under "textbook for options": http://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/physics-revision/aqa-unit-5/

Thnx buddy

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can anyone send me a link to a unit 4 unofficial mark scheme?
Original post by Mehrdad jafari
The only think i can understand about those microscopes is that i cannot understand them lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hahaha I reckon the examiner marking it didn't understand what the mark scheme showed

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1649
Original post by jonno1352
Can anyone send me a link to a unit 4 unofficial mark scheme?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3047347

Posted from TSR Mobile
helpp
Original post by gcsestuff
Hahaha I reckon the examiner marking it didn't understand what the mark scheme showed

Posted from TSR Mobile

Surely they did understand it. What they didn't understand was that how we could understand it

Posted from TSR Mobile
image.jpgFor some reason when I do these rearranging ln ones, the mark scheme puts the values seen in my brackets the other way round!? In this instance they had the same answer.... Now I don't know anything about maths I just learn the rearrangements for physics off by heart really... But I would assume that this make a difference!?
Original post by Sbarron
image.jpgFor some reason when I do these rearranging ln ones, the mark scheme puts the values seen in my brackets the other way round!? In this instance they had the same answer.... Now I don't know anything about maths I just learn the rearrangements for physics off by heart really... But I would assume that this make a difference!?

Looks right, sure you haven't subbed the numbers in the wrong way round..?
Reply 1654
Original post by Sbarron

It's the way log rules work - don't worry if it confuses you, but you can cancel the minus sign by flipping the fraction inside the "ln" brackets.

If you want I can provide a more detailed explanation as to why this works, but by the looks of things you get the correct answer your way anyway and won't lose marks for dividing by the negative number instead.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jf1994
I'm after the answer to this too, so stupid that they basically just say 'diagram drawn correctly' for full marks...

I drew horizontal line from tip of object to lens line, then projected it back onto the focal point BEFORE the lens, then drew another line from tip of object to the point of intersection of the axes and drew the image where these two lines intersected, between -F and lens axis

I did it different, my line went to the focal point after the lens. I would think your way was right, because it's a diverging lens, but that would give a virtual image wouldn't it? The question asks for a real image

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can someone explain how electron diffraction experiments supported de brogile hypothesis

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RobHunter97
I did it different, my line went to the focal point after the lens. I would think your way was right, because it's a diverging lens, but that would give a virtual image wouldn't it? The question asks for a real image

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nah it says real object not real image
Reply 1658
Original post by Sbarron

Does this make sense why is it same both ways

Posted from TSR Mobile
Boys I'm happy to say I've figured out June 2014 energy released question!

You can infact do it two ways:

1. Calculate the change in binding energy (short) not account for neutrons since they have no binding energy

2. Calculate the mass defect (long) accounting for neutrons - this does work if you do it properly

both come down to the same exact answer

Still gobsmacked by the fact that AQA do not account for the product neutrons K.E at the end..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending