Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

AQA Physics PHYA5 - Thursday 18th June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread] Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by betbi3etwerrd)
    no it's not

it is hydrogen - helium - electron

which is the same as hydrogen - (helium + electron)
    Oops, I'm an idiot, I get it now, thank you!!

ReputationRep:
    apparently a van got raided into so loads of past papers had to be rewritten by AQA including Physics Unit 5 :O so I'm expecting some weird questions, probably with mistakes in...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aprocrastinator)
    apparently a van got raided into so loads of past papers had to be rewritten by AQA including Physics Unit 5 :O so I'm expecting some weird questions, probably with mistakes in...
    I don't get the point of why anyone would do this... It's not like people wouldn't notice all the papers missing.... Anyway you'd think by now aqa would have learnt from the past and create a backup paper for if this happens

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jf1994)
    Nah it says real object not real image
    Wow I'm stupid. Need to read the questions properly....

Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by betbi3etwerrd)
    Boys I'm happy to say I've figured out June 2014 energy released question!

You can infact do it two ways:

1. Calculate the change in binding energy (short) not account for neutrons since they have no binding energy

2. Calculate the mass defect (long) accounting for neutrons - this does work if you do it properly

both come down to the same exact answer

Still gobsmacked by the fact that AQA do not account for the product neutrons K.E at the end..

*and GIRL!!

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone got a good explanation for why a discharge tube conducts electricity if a high enough p.d. is applied?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sbarron)
    *and GIRL!!
    Oh, we didn't know there was one

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tomh97)
    Has anyone got a good explanation for why a discharge tube conducts electricity if a high enough p.d. is applied?
    I think at high voltage the anode plate becomes positive to such an extent that it can rip electrons off atoms/molecules of gas

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tomh97)
    Gas at low pressure can be made conducting by applying a high voltage. This makes the anode strongly positive so it can pull electrons off the gas atoms in the tube. This creates +ion-electron pairs so the tube has free electrons and can conduct electricity. (Note: It's not really a gas per se but plasma -- which is defined as ionized gas.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mehrdad jafari)
    Oh, we didn't know there was one

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Lol 😜

ReputationRep:
    Can someone explain to me the balmer series please in their own words?

ReputationRep:
    Also what are the predictions for the astro and unit 5 6 markers? Need to get the whole 12 marks haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    What ever you think the 6 marker will be.... It 100% won't be that

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gcsestuff)
    What ever you think the 6 marker will be.... It 100% won't be that

Posted from TSR Mobile
    True, but at least we know that it won't be on circular motion or newtons laws

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mehrdad jafari)
    True, but at least we know that it won't be on circular motion or newtons laws

Posted from TSR Mobile
    " using newtons laws describe how a molecule of gas exerts pressure in a container, while travelling around in a circle with a mass attached to a cone connected to a 30k ohm resistor"

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    i still have maths and chemistry exams before this but i need to revise this more after that unit 4 exam!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD223)
    I feel the same after revising for PHYA4 so much in the past couple of weeks.

How do you plan on revising?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Just past papers lol, this will be the worst week ever

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gcsestuff)
    " using newtons laws describe how a molecule of gas exerts pressure in a container, while travelling around in a circle with a mass attached to a cone connected to a 30k ohm resistor"

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You forgot the potato (AS)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a.a.k)
    You forgot the potato (AS)
    Oh I did that paper, I loved that question

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Am exciting day of radioactivity lays ahead of me. Oh the joys

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.