Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

AQA Physics PHYA5 - Thursday 18th June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread] Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD223)
    Again, it's fine AQA know people get confused so they chuck it in every year...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks again, yeah im hoping i wont get confused on the first question on Thursday ahha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by frankiejayx)
    I hope its not an experiment for the 6 marker
    I'd accept the experiment for showing inverse square law for gamma rays but that's come on before. Don't usually like the experiment ones myself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Me123456789)
    Thank you. I get the equation now, but how do you get

\Delta Q = 7.5 \times 10^4 - 3.0 \times 10^4
    Heat supplied by lead changing state + heat lost by cooling lead = heat gained by iron

So in part a you worked out the heat gained by iron (7.5 x 10^4)

In part b you worked out the Heat supplied by lead changing state (1.5 x 10^4)

This means the energy left is one minus the other

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JJBinn)
    I'd accept the experiment for showing inverse square law for gamma rays but that's come on before. Don't usually like the experiment ones myself.
    Yeah that one is okay, its all the thermal ones i dont like!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD223)
    Heat supplied by lead changing state + heat lost by cooling lead = heat gained by iron

So in part a you worked out the heat gained by iron (7.5 x 10^4)

In part b you worked out the Heat supplied by lead changing state (1.5 x 10^4)

This means the energy left is one minus the other

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh, that makes more sense now, thanks:thumbsup:

ReputationRep:
    There probably won't be a question on nuclear waste storage/treatment right? I can't stand that stuff. Hardly physics.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah that one is okay, its all the thermal ones i dont like!
    Which thermal ones exactly? I can't think of many experiments apart from the nuclear diameter ones

ReputationRep:
    Which thermal ones exactly? I can't think of many experiments apart from the nuclear diameter ones
    Theres the three gas laws i dont know if we need to know those experiments

ReputationRep:
    Theres the three gas laws i dont know if we need to know those experiments
    I don't think we do, or at least I hope not haha. They aren't specified in the CGP revision guide and I've noticed that most of the past paper questions are on stuff in there

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MangoFreak)
    There probably won't be a question on nuclear waste storage/treatment right? I can't stand that stuff. Hardly physics.
    We all hope not. The extent of my knowledge on it is that the waste is stored in cooling tanks until it reaches a safe temperature and then stored underground in trenches until it's activity reaches a safe level.

ReputationRep:
    I think there is an experiment in the textbook to find the specific heat capacity of a substance, it might be a good idea to check it out quite a simple one tbh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boop.)
    I think there is an experiment in the textbook to find the specific heat capacity of a substance, it might be a good idea to check it out quite a simple one tbh
    Is that the inversion tube one?

ReputationRep:
    Guys, I also have a feeling that a six marker could be on commenting on the assumptions made before deriving the equation of the kinetic theory of gases. The textbook does comment on two of the assumption but no further. Here are some comments relating to the assumptions made:

1) The volume of each molecule is negligible compared to the volume of the gas.
    • Comment: that is to say the molecules of the gas are very far apart because in liquid state the molecules are sufficiently close to each other for the attractive forces between molecules to be important.

2) The time of each collision between molecules or each molecule with the container walls is negligible compared with the time between successive collisions.
    • Comment: ( i still don't really know why this assumption is made. I would be very happy if any one could let us know.)

3) The molecules do not attract each other.
    • Comment: if the particles attracted each other they would not exert force on the walls of the container as they would all tend to clump together in the middle of the container.

4) the particles move in continual random motion.
    • Comment: the forces exerted by the particles is evenly distributed over the entire container surface that's why particles are assumed to have random motion in 3 dimensions.

5) The collisions of particles with each other and with the container surface are perfectly elastic, so that no kinetic energy is lost.
    • Comment: the total kinetic energy of particles is the internal energy of the gas, therefore kinetic energy is assumed to be conserved so that the total energy of the gas in the total kinetic energy of the molecules.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    How is everyone feeling for this exam? Im starting to understand alot of the content now which is great haha
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Do they ask 6 markers on both parts to the unit 5 exam?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperMushroom)
    How is everyone feeling for this exam? Im starting to understand alot of the content now which is great haha
    Not feeling very great but ok. How about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperMushroom)
    Do they ask 6 markers on both parts to the unit 5 exam?
    Yeah, they do

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Quick question!

If you have a question which involves rearranging equations, i.e. v=Hd to d=v/H or something more complicated involving combining multiple equations and even substituting them into one another, can you simply show the final rearranged equation in symbols and then use the values to get your answer? Or will you lose method marks?

ReputationRep:
    There's only been one thermal 6 marker in the past do you think that makes a thermal 6 marker more likely? Not that it matters too much!

ReputationRep:
    Technique for estimating the age of the universe with Hubble's constant?

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.