Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

AQA A2 Mathematics MM2B Mechanics 2 - Monday 22nd June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread] Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiwa)
    Thanks a lot!
    No worries

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarcastic-sal)
    Just done Jan 2013 and the last part of question 9 took forever to do I'm worried I'm not going to have enough time for a tricky 'show that' question
    That question is horrid. I still can't do it despite trying it twice. It was in my opinion the hardest ever M2 question

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD223)
    That question is horrid. I still can't do it despite trying it twice. It was in my opinion the hardest ever M2 question

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I can post my working if you want? I gave up, marked my paper and then just as I found a video to explain it I had an 'omg I think I know how to do this' moment. I'm glad it was only 5 marks though because it meant I still got an A* UMS-wise

ReputationRep:
    I can post my working if you want? I gave up, marked my paper and then just as I found a video to explain it I had an 'omg I think I know how to do this' moment. I'm glad it was only 5 marks though because it meant I still got an A* UMS-wise
    Oh what video? if you wouldnt mind posting I'd appreciate it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD223)
    Oh what video? if you wouldnt mind posting I'd appreciate it.Posted from TSR Mobile
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kA4F-p5Hj_4

My method:

Name:  DSCF8007.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  160.8 KB
    Attachment 432695432697

Sorry about them being sideways
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Can someone please help me understand how to find the angle in no (c).. Mark scheme is also attached
    Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdf z.pdf (199.7 KB, 96 views)

ReputationRep:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kA4F-p5Hj_4

My method:

Name:  DSCF8007.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  160.8 KB
    Attachment 432695432697

Sorry about them being sideways
    Thanks! That makes so much more sense. I still wouldn't have got that in the exam haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD223)
    Thanks! That makes so much more sense. I still wouldn't have got that in the exam haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Neither would I. I was panicking as I couldn't do that one and my answer for the epe question seemed odd (but fortunately it was right) and M2 grade boundaries are unforgiving.
    The examiner's report said this question was 'designed to discriminate between grades A and A*' and 'There was much inventive algebra shown in part (c) to obtain the printed result.'
    I can't stand how cutting and sarcastic the examiners reports are (although sometimes it is quite funny)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aeryk)
    Can someone please help me understand how to find the angle in no (c).. Mark scheme is also attached
    I've just done this paper so I'll post my working out:
    Name:  DSCF8009.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  239.1 KB
    For simplicity I've drawn the lamina the same way up as the diagram gives it, but the dashed line represents the horizontal direction and the solid line represents the vertical.
    You know that when the lamina is suspended from point H that the vertical will pass directly through the centre of mass. You're given the distance of the COM from AH and you've just worked out the distance from AB. The distance of the COM from HC is just 30cm - 13.6cm and so you can form a triangle and work out the angle required.
    Edit: don't be thrown off by the COM not actually being where the lamina 'exists' as per say
    Another edit: Theta is the angle between HG and the horizontal and x is the other angle in the right angled triangle. I did it a long winded way and you could actually just do the tan of theta straight away but apparently I make things harder for myself

ReputationRep:
    For simplicity I've drawn the lamina the same way up as the diagram gives it, but the dashed line represents the horizontal direction and the solid line represents the vertical.
    You know that when the lamina is suspended from point H that the vertical will pass directly through the centre of mass. You're given the distance of the COM from AH and you've just worked out the distance from AB. The distance of the COM from HC is just 30cm - 13.6cm and so you can form a triangle and work out the angle required.
    Edit: don't be thrown off by the COM not actually being where the lamina 'exists' as per say
    Another edit: Theta is the angle between HG and the horizontal and x is the other angle in the right angled triangle. I did it a long winded way and you could actually just do the tan of theta straight away but apparently I make things harder for myself
    Thank u so much.. That made a lot of sense

ReputationRep:
    Neither would I. I was panicking as I couldn't do that one and my answer for the epe question seemed odd (but fortunately it was right) and M2 grade boundaries are unforgiving.
    The examiner's report said this question was 'designed to discriminate between grades A and A*' and 'There was much inventive algebra shown in part (c) to obtain the printed result.'
    I can't stand how cutting and sarcastic the examiners reports are (although sometimes it is quite funny)
    Hahahaha I know what you mean. Especially when I make the same mistake they have a dig at.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Just wanted to know which angle do I need to find if the question had asked to find the angle between HG and downward vertical..

ReputationRep:
    can someone explain why for jan 13 q 3 you have to work in radians?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alex27996)
    can someone explain why for jan 13 q 3 you have to work in radians?
    Sorry, what do you mean?

They give you what \sin \theta equals so that you can just use the numerical value when multiplying by the weight to find the component of the weight acting down the slope.

This means the driving force at maximum power must equal the resistance force plus the component of the weight down the slope. You don't have to find \theta at any stage.

Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1434807557.249367.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  65.2 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD223)
    Sorry, what do you mean?

They give you what \sin \theta equals so that you can just use the numerical value when multiplying by the weight to find the component of the weight acting down the slope.

This means the driving force at maximum power must equal the resistance force plus the component of the weight down the slope. You don't have to find \theta at any stage.

Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1434807557.249367.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  65.2 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well when i first did the calculation in degrees i came to the wrong answer, redid it in radians and got the right answer?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alex27996)
    Well when i first did the calculation in degrees i came to the wrong answer, redid it in radians and got the right answer?
    That is odd. You shouldn't need to convert to degrees though, as the calculation just involves sin theta, which has the value they give in the question.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Which are the hardest past papers?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Red Fox)
    Which are the hardest past papers?
    Not sure about the hardest paper in itself, but if you haven't already then try Q9 January 2013.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD223)
    Not sure about the hardest paper in itself, but if you haven't already then try Q9 January 2013.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'll give it a go now.

ReputationRep:
    I'm stuck on question 5b from this exercise sheet:http://www.madasmaths.com/archive/ma...gs_springs.pdf

The answer is 1.65m
    Here's what I've done could someone point out where I went wrong
    Name:  hneans.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  113.8 KB

Attachment 432841432843
    Attached Images

Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.