Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

AQA A2 Mathematics MM2B Mechanics 2 - Monday 22nd June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread] Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Haza100)
    Im so confused as to how to work this out, supposedly the answers are Ta = 24.2N and Tb = 4.6N.Attachment 433177

If anyone can help out I would be massively grateful - I've wasted an hour trying to figure it out haha.
    Apologies for the poor picture quality/lighting and my handwriting! Hope this helps

EDIT: Just gonna clear some things up that are slightly less visible in the pic: the angle between the tension and the vertical is the same for the top part and bottom part, and the radius of the circle is root 0.48 (0.693) due to use of pythagoras for the string length and the height. the exact value of root 0.48 is (2*root3)/5 which is where the 72root3/5 comes from

Name:  WIN_20150621_130400.JPG
Views: 104
Size:  56.5 KB

ReputationRep:
    Im so confused as to how to work this out, supposedly the answers are Ta = 24.2N and Tb = 4.6N.Attachment 433177

If anyone can help out I would be massively grateful - I've wasted an hour trying to figure it out haha.
    Does this help?

Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1434888847.027347.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  167.9 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    First, you have to use Pythagoras to find the radius, but you have to divide the distance between A and B by two.
    Then, use v = r*omega to find the velocity.
    Next, find the angle between the string and the horizontal by using trig.
    Finally, use Tsin theta = (mv^2)/r to find the tension. The tension in both strings are the same. I got T = 49.9N

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    No this book:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Advancing-Ma.../dp/0435513370

ReputationRep:
    I've just realised that I should resolve vertically and horizontally. I'll try to do that again.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by benny1152)
    Apologies for the poor picture quality/lighting and my handwriting! Hope this helps

EDIT: Just gonna clear some things up that are slightly less visible in the pic: the angle between the tension and the vertical is the same for the top part and bottom part, and the radius of the circle is root 0.48 (0.693) due to use of pythagoras for the string length and the height. the exact value of root 0.48 is (2*root3)/5 which is where the 72root3/5 comes from

Name:  WIN_20150621_130400.JPG
Views: 104
Size:  56.5 KB
    (Original post by CD223)
    Does this help?

Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1434888847.027347.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  167.9 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile

Awesome, thanks so much both of you. Got it now, I wasn't taking into account the extra downwards force exerted by Tb. Really cleared things up, thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Awesome, thanks so much both of you. Got it now, I wasn't taking into account the extra downwards force exerted by Tb. Really cleared things up, thanks!
    No worries! Ironic if a similar question appears tomorrow.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Would we ever be asked a ladder question where the wall is rough?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tibooster)
    Perfectly possible yeah. It's in the CGP guide

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tibooster)
    (Original post by CD223)
    Perfectly possible yeah. It's in the CGP guide

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I guess you would now just have to take into account a vertically upward force?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reverse Swing)
    I guess you would now just have to take into account a vertically upward force?
    Yup. A rough wall and a rough floor would be a bit harsh though as when you take moments you'll have another unknown. They'd have to provide enough information though, so I wouldn't panic.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    What does it mean if you do moments about a point (ACW-CW) and you get a value like 400N

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stepidermis)
    What does it mean if you do moments about a point (ACW-CW) and you get a value like 400N
    Do you mean taking moments about a point with ACW positive?

I'm confused as to whether you mean there's a resultant moment or you're just working out a force which happens to be 400N?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD223)
    Do you mean taking moments about a point with ACW positive?

I'm confused as to whether you mean there's a resultant moment or you're just working out a force which happens to be 400N?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    yeah what does there being a resultant moment mean? that the forces at that point should negate this force?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stepidermis)
    yeah what does there being a resultant moment mean? that the forces at that point should negate this force?
    A resultant moment means there's a turning effect about a pivot. It's like turning a door handle. The resultant moment is clockwise so there's a turning effect about the pivot and the door mechanism opens the door.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD223)
    A resultant moment means there's a turning effect about a pivot. It's like turning a door handle. The resultant moment is clockwise so there's a turning effect about the pivot and the door mechanism opens the door.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You know when a car is travelling up a hill at which is inclined at an angle to the vertical, does the resistance force act down the hill or up the hill?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ProbablyPassing)
    Down the hill, the resistance acts in an opposite direction to the movement in this scenario.
    Thank you! I doing June 2010 and I don't know how the the component of the weight parallel to the hill is greater or less than the resistance force.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiwa)
    Thank you! I doing June 2010 and I don't know how the the component of the weight parallel to the hill is greater or less than the resistance force.
    In those cases where the body moves up the hill, the component of the weight parallel to the hill is in the same direction as the resistive force.

This means at maximum/constant speed the driving force is equal to the component of the weight down the slope added to the resistive force. This is because at maximum/constant speed there's no resultant.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD223)
    In those cases where the body moves up the hill, the component of the weight parallel to the hill is in the same direction as the resistive force.

This means at maximum/constant speed the driving force is equal to the component of the weight down the slope added to the resistive force. This is because at maximum/constant speed there's no resultant.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiwa)
    Thank you!
    No worries!

Gonna try another unofficial MS depending on how the exam goes - could be a tough one given last year's was fairly kind

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.