Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

AQA A2 Mathematics MM2B Mechanics 2 - Monday 22nd June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread] Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I got 275 UMS last year in maths. I really need an A in further maths but last year they put D1(my highest out of M1, S1 and D1) in normal maths so I only just scraped an A in further maths. Is it possible for them this year to take out D1 from maths and put it in further maths so I get the A. I don't feel mechanics went too well so hoping they put that in normal maths because I'm safely into an A from C3 and C4(I hope). Hopefully someone can help!!

ReputationRep:
    the answer 66.3, what question was that for?

ReputationRep:
    How do you do Q9?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swaggersaurusrex)
    the answer 66.3, what question was that for?
    Maximum value of x.

You had to solve for x/ factorise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Naomi_la)
    Hi, I got 275 UMS last year in maths. I really need an A in further maths but last year they put D1(my highest out of M1, S1 and D1) in normal maths so I only just scraped an A in further maths. Is it possible for them this year to take out D1 from maths and put it in further maths so I get the A. I don't feel mechanics went too well so hoping they put that in normal maths because I'm safely into an A from C3 and C4(I hope). Hopefully someone can help!!
    They swap around all the modules to get you the best grades possible - don't worry about it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oraeng)
    They swap around all the modules to get you the best grades possible - don't worry about it
    Thank you! So they'll definately give me the highest grade possible in further maths and not make my maths higher than it needs to be?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Naomi_la)
    Thank you! So they'll definately give me the highest grade possible in further maths and not make my maths higher than it needs to be?
    From what I've been told, no.
    I was really confused at first too because my maths teacher told everyone that they group your maths grade to be as high as possible then put everything else in further maths but loads of people on here have said that if it knocks your further maths grade down in the process they will regroup it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reverse Swing)
    This was harder than January 2013 which had a similar last question but it was only worth 5 marks, plus it was a show that question. This had an 8 marker in the end for which most people didn't have a clue on how to answer.

It was 66 for an A* in Jan 13, so it won't be anything higher than that in my opinion. Probably around 63/64/65 for an A* and 71ish for full UMS.
    i agree, it has got to be less than 66 for an A*, and most people on here, and all 12 people in my further maths class did not get 2-root3 for the last one, showing how difficult it was, whereas, for a mock exam, about half of my class got the right answers for that last question on jan13

TSR always seems to guess the grade boundaries higher than they actually will be, as recent exam papers are harder than older ones

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oraeng)
    From what I've been told, no.
    I was really confused at first too because my maths teacher told everyone that they group your maths grade to be as high as possible then put everything else in further maths but loads of people on here have said that if it knocks your further maths grade down in the process they will regroup it.
    i just now they maximise your maths if you have the same grade in further maths whatever combination, which is how i ended up with 300 in maths and like 248 in further maths lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alex27996)
    could someone show the working for q 2? cant remember how it was done and if i did it right?
    This is how I did it:

X(bar) = 4.3m (stated in question)
    X(bar) = (3g*0 +5g*6 +8g*(AC) + 4g*4)/(20g)

Rearrange to find AC

I can't remember the details of lengths in the question exactly, but something like that...

ReputationRep:
    8 dii is 1 mark and for the bungee rope I wrote that if it's less than 26m that the bungee would be accelerating upwards

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by olatee)
    8 dii is 1 mark and for the bungee rope I wrote that if it's less than 26m that the bungee would be accelerating upwards
    Isn't it just that the bungee is no longer under tension?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Puzzled_Logician)
    Isn't it just that the bungee is no longer under tension?
    If it's <26 then there's no tension acting. It's just before the cord becomes slack.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD223)
    If it's <26 then there's no tension acting. It's just before the cord becomes slack.
    I said the equation wouldn't work because we have assumed that there is elastic potential energy, and if it's <26 then there would be no elastic potential energy. Is this right?

ReputationRep:
    Calculator stopped working after question 1, luckily just had enough time to get all these answers though! Never been so scared!

ReputationRep:
    Oh...
    Could someone explain how they did Q9? Really funny question.
    I didn't do that bad after all... approximately 50 marks.

ReputationRep:
    I'm so glad my teachers made me learn all the trig values to 3 significant figures now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swaggersaurusrex)
    i just now they maximise your maths if you have the same grade in further maths whatever combination, which is how i ended up with 300 in maths and like 248 in further maths lol
    They always try to optimise core, however they don't try and get slightly higher points for the same grade i.e you have an A A for your core and further stuff but instead you get a higher A and a B. If you get enough to get an A* in core (i.e 90% in 3 and 4) and you did well in the other cores they will then try to get the best Further score as well by putting the two worst swappable with core as long as they still give a total of 480 ums and put the best swappable in the further. Its really messy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Puzzled_Logician)
    63 to 70

It could go either way depending on how irritating AQA are.

But; I am pretty sure (unless you're doing FM?) that the A* is awarded on C3 and C4 only though...
    Ah cool, yeah I'm doing FM

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Artur96)
    Oh...
    Could someone explain how they did Q9? Really funny question.
    I didn't do that bad after all... approximately 50 marks.
    Seriously? 50 marks? I got more with no calculator

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.