The Student Room Group

AQA A2 Mathematics MM2B Mechanics 2 - Monday 22nd June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ibanezmatt13
Here's what I did...

Don't think it's right as nobody I spoke to got these values, but hopefully method marks! I used similar triangles to get the length PT.

image.jpg

what you did was correct in term of physics and equations, but you forgot 2root3 after you multiplied all of the terms in the last equation. You might lose only 1 or 2 marks I guess.
Reply 621
Original post by Reverse Swing
I said the equation wouldn't work because we have assumed that there is elastic potential energy, and if it's <26 then there would be no elastic potential energy. Is this right?

Yeah that's essentially the same thing. The equation assumes there's EPE meaning tension acts in the string, in other words it's slack.

Original post by CalculusCallum6
Seriously? 50 marks? I got more with no calculator

Dude this thread isn't for bragging, it was a hard exam for most people including myself, chill
Original post by swaggersaurusrex
i got the max of v to be 11.2, anyone?doesnt matter, irealise im wrong

As did I. I also know that I'm wrong but this does mean we can at least hope for some method/follow through marks.
Original post by Naomi_la
Hi, I got 275 UMS last year in maths. I really need an A in further maths but last year they put D1(my highest out of M1, S1 and D1) in normal maths so I only just scraped an A in further maths. Is it possible for them this year to take out D1 from maths and put it in further maths so I get the A. I don't feel mechanics went too well so hoping they put that in normal maths because I'm safely into an A from C3 and C4(I hope). Hopefully someone can help!!

Original post by Oraeng
From what I've been told, no.
I was really confused at first too because my maths teacher told everyone that they group your maths grade to be as high as possible then put everything else in further maths but loads of people on here have said that if it knocks your further maths grade down in the process they will regroup it.

Original post by swaggersaurusrex
i just now they maximise your maths if you have the same grade in further maths whatever combination, which is how i ended up with 300 in maths and like 248 in further maths lol

They will maximise your maths grade first. They would rather give you A*B than AA.
I think they prioritise maximising your 2 grades and not your UMS in maths.
Reply 625
I feel in the minority of people doing this as part of A level maths and simply praying for enough UMS in the three A2 exams for an A* aha.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think they prioritise maximising your 2 grades and not your UMS in maths.

the way they do it is with this priority list:

1. maths grade
2.further maths grade without changing 1
3. maths ums without changing 1 or 2
4. further maths ums without changing 1 2 or 3
Original post by CD223
I feel in the minority of people doing this as part of A level maths and simply praying for enough UMS in the three A2 exams for an A* aha.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's not how it works, maths A* is only based off core 3 and core 4.
Reply 628
Original post by Stepidermis
That's not how it works, maths A* is only based off core 3 and core 4.

I'm aware of that. But you also need enough UMS overall for an A. M2 contributes to that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I got all of it i think but the last question, I spent a while on it but thought it was more worthwhile going through the rest of the paper instead of keeping at that question.... I did a load of resolving and moments from P and Q and even got 2 answers, but one as 4.something and one was -0.3 something .... Im just hoping for the working marks as I really need M2 to hopefully boost up my FM along with S2!
Original post by CD223
I'm aware of that. But you also need enough UMS overall for an A. M2 contributes to that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh ok do you think you managed it? I thought the paper was better than it could've been! Last question was hell though :biggrin: went completely the wrong route. My answers match up with yours other than that though, think my worst case is 65 which is brillliant as I was dreading this as you know! :smile:
Reply 631
Original post by Josh771
I got all of it i think but the last question, I spent a while on it but thought it was more worthwhile going through the rest of the paper instead of keeping at that question.... I did a load of resolving and moments from P and Q and even got 2 answers, but one as 4.something and one was -0.3 something .... Im just hoping for the working marks as I really need M2 to hopefully boost up my FM along with S2!

I was at that point too. I spent the last 10 mins checking answers rather than attempting Q9 once I was stuck.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 632
Oh ok do you think you managed it? I thought the paper was better than it could've been! Last question was hell though :biggrin: went completely the wrong route. My answers match up with yours other than that though, think my worst case is 65 which is brillliant as I was dreading this as you know! :smile:

Hmm. It'll be tough to call. M2 doesn't matter as much because I need 183 from C3, C4 and M2 with 180 from C3/C4 if I'm gonna get an A*, so today had a lot less pressure on it.

That said, I found Core 4, (I know, supposedly the "easier" one), harder than Core 3.

If I was to guess marks, maybe:
C3: 72
C4: 65
M2: 64

Any ideas on whether it'll be enough?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Hmm. It'll be tough to call. M2 doesn't matter as much because I need 183 from C3, C4 and M2 with 180 from C3/C4 if I'm gonna get an A*, so today had a lot less pressure on it.

That said, I found Core 4, (I know, supposedly the "easier" one), harder than Core 3.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't even know why you are even asking to be honest lol.

In fact you could have done us all a favour and only get as much as you needed in M2. :tongue:
Reply 634
I don't even know why you are even asking to be honest lol.

In fact you could have done us all a favour and only get as much as you needed in M2. :tongue:

Well loads of people found "core 4 easy" on TSR this year! I was panicking! I missed out several questions on it.

Lol, I'm sure I got a big fat zero on Q9 so don't worry :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223

Posted from TSR Mobile

Boundaries tend to be pretty damn low for core 4 so it should be yep!
Anyone have to hand what you tend to need for A/A* in this?
Reply 637
Boundaries tend to be pretty damn low for core 4 so it should be yep!

I hope so! Feels like a waste of effort otherwise! Could have just got 61 UMS on each paper! :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223

Posted from TSR Mobile

If I'm being honest that's probably not going to be enough, I'm sorry
Reply 639
Original post by CalculusCallum6
If I'm being honest that's probably not going to be enough, I'm sorry

Fair enough, I was curious that's all.

Posted from TSR Mobile