Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

AQA A2 Mathematics MM2B Mechanics 2 - Monday 22nd June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread] Watch

ReputationRep:
    The aqa June 2014 papers are actually now available on the aqa website so anyone can have a go

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bitofageek)
    The aqa June 2014 papers are actually now available on the aqa website so anyone can have a go

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ah I have a mock in the June 2014 paper tomorrow morning so I'll hold on for now

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Got 63/75 on my M2 mock for June 2014. Does anyone think it'll be a similar sort of difficulty this year?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Really don't want to learn this. Literally know nothing yet for this exam

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr_Cupcakes)
    Really don't want to learn this. Literally know nothing yet for this exam
    Have you started learning the content, or do you mean you haven't started revising?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD223)
    Have you started learning the content, or do you mean you haven't started revising?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well due to teachers leaving we haven't had many M2 lessons this year, so I haven't really done much at all. I suppose due to the nature of M2 the questions are very similar each year hopefully there isn't that much to learn

Arguably I only need a D if I get A's in C3 and C4, or an E if I get A*'s

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr_Cupcakes)
    Well due to teachers leaving we haven't had many M2 lessons this year, so I haven't really done much at all. I suppose due to the nature of M2 the questions are very similar each year hopefully there isn't that much to learn

Arguably I only need a D if I get A's in C3 and C4, or an E if I get A*'s
    At least it's this way round and not like that with C3 and C4!

Just do some past papers and if you get stuck I'm sure everyone on this thread will be happy to help

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I now know you can express acceleration, a, as:

a= v\dfrac{dv}{dx},

but are there any other "sneaky" ways of expressing either force, acceleration, velocity or displacement in questions?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    January 2011, Q4 (d)

I know it should be simple, but for some reason I can't do it.

QP: http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects...W-QP-JAN11.PDF

MS: http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects...W-MS-JAN11.PDF

Could someone enlighten me?
    Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1431768261.743920.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  112.1 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Self teaching this, only done questions from the book so far so I don't know how exam pape question are but just from the book I'm finding this considerably harder than M1 and I find M1 and the mechanics in physics easy usually, am I alone on this because ive seen people saying it's not a big step up

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD223)
    January 2011, Q4 (d)

I know it should be simple, but for some reason I can't do it.

QP: http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects...W-QP-JAN11.PDF

MS: http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects...W-MS-JAN11.PDF

Could someone enlighten me?
    Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1431768261.743920.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  112.1 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ah, this question. You have to use the fact that they give you to distances of the centers of mass of the triangular lamina so you need to use them instead of usually halving the distances. I got the question wrong so many times.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JackNorman)
    Self teaching this, only done questions from the book so far so I don't know how exam pape question are but just from the book I'm finding this considerably harder than M1 and I find M1 and the mechanics in physics easy usually, am I alone on this because ive seen people saying it's not a big step up
    Self studying this too and yes it's a big step up. I guess the only reason people would say it isn't is because they have good teachers or they're really brainy and so don't notice it. Also if you have like me not studied any physics it also makes it considerably harder to grasp the concepts.
    The questions in the book ( not sure which one you have I'm assuming AQA M2) are actually harder than the ones in the exam but this only true for the questions towards the end of the exercises. So if you can solve those then the ones in the exam should be a breeze.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD223)
    I now know you can express acceleration, a, as:

a= v\dfrac{dv}{dx},

but are there any other "sneaky" ways of expressing either force, acceleration, velocity or displacement in questions?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No. There's F = m\dfrac{dv}{dt} + v\dfrac{dm}{dt}, but that's not covered until M5. It's not really sneaky anyway.

a = \dfrac{dv}{dt} = \dfrac{d^2x}{dt^2} = v\dfrac{dv}{dx}
    v = \dfrac{dx}{dt}

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiwa)
    Ah, this question. You have to use the fact that they give you to distances of the centers of mass of the triangular lamina so you need to use them instead of usually halving the distances. I got the question wrong so many times.
    Ah thank you!

I know how they got 30g from taking moments about PR, but how do they get 4 \times 20 on the other side of the equation?

I must be going mad.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shadez)
    Self studying this too and yes it's a big step up. I guess the only reason people would say it isn't is because they have good teachers or they're really brainy and so don't notice it. Also if you have like me not studied any physics it also makes it considerably harder to grasp the concepts.
    The questions in the book ( not sure which one you have I'm assuming AQA M2) are actually harder than the ones in the exam but this only true for the questions towards the end of the exercises. So if you can solve those then the ones in the exam should be a breeze.
    I agree, the exam book is much harder than the questions in the papers but I do still find many questions trip me up!

I can't ever form a quadratics with the correct terms for x when looking at the extension. Grrr.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morgan8002)
    No. There's F = m\dfrac{dv}{dt} + v\dfrac{dm}{dt}, but that's not covered until M5. It's not really sneaky anyway.

v = \dfrac{dx}{dt}
    Is the top one to do with rates of change of momentum?

There was an old paper for M2 (around 2006 I think) that required knowledge of:
    v = \dfrac{dx}{dt}

I saw a horrid centres of mass question earlier in the thread in the same paper where you had to take into account the volume of a solid of revolution, and take moments to find its centre of mass, so you had:

V=\pi \int f(x) \bar{x} dx

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD223)
    Ah thank you!

I know how they got 30g from taking moments about PR, but how do they get 4 \times 20 on the other side of the equation?

I must be going mad.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    30 - 10 . Since half of the length of DC is 30cm.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD223)
    I agree, the exam book is much harder than the questions in the papers but I do still find many questions trip me up!

I can't ever form a quadratics with the correct terms for x when looking at the extension. Grrr.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Me too I don't think I ever get it on the first try. My process go something like this:

1. try work out the intitial energy first
    2. decided where the reference point for the height will be i.e. the ground
    3. work out the extension ( arguably the hardest part )
    4. Faff around with the numbers in my calculator and see if they match the ones on the page.

I usually try work out the constant first so the c in ax^2+bx+c and so that way it will save me time and space on the page to see if im heading in the right direction or not.

5. Usually at this stage I've messed up somewhere since I've not matched my constant to theirs. I would check over my calculations again and see I've made any mistakes

6.Lol at this stage I've given up trying to work out the questions using my knowledge and I'll start putting likely numbers in the extension part of my equation (as this is usually where its all gone wrong).
    Believe it or not it's worked out on at least two occasions

I guess with this sort of thing practice makes perfect

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shadez)
    I've done physics already, the content hasn't been a problem until now, everything else I've been fine with except for the odd moments or COM question, but I've got to vertical circular motion and I'm struggling to even keep up with some of the worked through examples because the book goes about them in such an odd and confusing way. Need to finish it within the next few days and start some papers I think. Mechanics is definitely my strong point, every M1 paper I've done so far has been 95-100, but the way thing are done in the book is hard t follow, for most of the worked examples I try and work through them before reading the working, and I'll get the same answer in a much simpler way

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiwa)
    30 - 10 . Since half of the length of DC is 30cm.
    Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.