Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

WJEC A2 Computing CG3 - Tuesday 23rd June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread] Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JordanEvans96)
    Does anybody know what the grade boundaries are to get an A/B? Thanks
    The grade boundaries change each year and your overall grade is determined by your exam plus your coursework and last years work - but i believe an A is usually around 80 and a B is usually around 70

ReputationRep:
    Got a great resource from my teacher in school which basically predicts what is going to be in the exam. It's obviously not certain, but you can see the trends of what types of questions will be asked. Also it contains the topics of which are the most important to learn as they contain the highest percentage of marks... will find the files now and upload, will post shortly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danster549)
    Got a great resource from my teacher in school which basically predicts what is going to be in the exam. It's obviously not certain, but you can see the trends of what types of questions will be asked. Also it contains the topics of which are the most important to learn as they contain the highest percentage of marks... will find the files now and upload, will post shortly.
    Oh that sounds great, thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Okay, I lost the full document with the self made "mock paper" that contained possible questions... However, here is a document that shows the trend of repeated questions, in terms of their topic, and then shows which topics you should prioritise in revising to achieve maximum mark potential.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sartfyhe31...ysis.docx?dl=0

If I find the other document I will add by the end of tonight.

ReputationRep:
    Could someone help me with a question i have about representing decimals in floating point form

A lot of the time an exam asks for a 12 bit mantisa, to lengthen the mantisa should i put the extra 0's on the right or left?

for example if my mantisa was 01010, to make it 12 bits would i make it 000000001010 or 010100000000?

i would think it was the first one and that is how i was taught, however the mark scheme seems to prefer 0's being added to the right? i would think it did not matter as the system knows the decimal point is to the right of the first 1? could someone please help if I'm making any sense at all!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamietopp21)
    Could someone help me with a question i have about representing decimals in floating point form

A lot of the time an exam asks for a 12 bit mantisa, to lengthen the mantisa should i put the extra 0's on the right or left?

for example if my mantisa was 01010, to make it 12 bits would i make it 000000001010 or 010100000000?

i would think it was the first one and that is how i was taught, however the mark scheme seems to prefer 0's being added to the right? i would think it did not matter as the system knows the decimal point is to the right of the first 1? could someone please help if I'm making any sense at all!
    You add all the zeros to the right, so eg 0101000000000. This is beacuse the exponent is counted from left to right, not from right to left

ReputationRep:

To be honest I've noticed it doesn't matter what is actually correct or what you think it correct, WJEC literally have their own answers usually ridiculous ones. Always trust the mark scheme that's what's going to get you the mark. Sorry I haven't really answered your question.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by actanide)
    You add all the zeros to the right, so eg 0101000000000. This is beacuse the exponent is counted from left to right, not from right to left
    Okay thank you this is the way I've seen it in mark schemes but i just wanted to be sure, so the exponent would go on the end of this? Also is it necessary to put the decimal point in or not? Sorry for all the questions!

ReputationRep:
    To be honest I've noticed it doesn't matter what is actually correct or what you think it correct, WJEC literally have their own answers usually ridiculous ones. Always trust the mark scheme that's what's going to get you the mark. Sorry I haven't really answered your question.
    aha yes true that! XD

ReputationRep:
    Okay thank you this is the way I've seen it in mark schemes but i just wanted to be sure, so the exponent would go on the end of this? Also is it necessary to put the decimal point in or not? Sorry for all the questions!
    No you don't need to put in any formatting however, the markers will accept spaces.

ReputationRep:
    No you don't need to put in any formatting however, the markers will accept spaces.
    Brilliant, thanks ever so much! I'm interested in this recourse you have, about the predictions and such - obviously not a certainty but I'm unsure what to revise tomorrow, may as well be that!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RonanWalters)
    Oh wow, nice! Do you guys have to do the comprehension exam with AQA in maths? Probably a stupid question, but was just curious, haha.

I've applied at Nottingham, Lancaster, Keele, Birmingham City & Chester. I wish I had done a lot better in my first year, didn't do as well as I would have liked, so having to resit a few this year to get the grades I want / need. How about you, where have you applied for? (:
    I believe that the 'Mathematical Comprehension' exam is part of the AQA A level in 'Use of Mathemetics'

ReputationRep:
    Brilliant, thanks ever so much! I'm interested in this recourse you have, about the predictions and such - obviously not a certainty but I'm unsure what to revise tomorrow, may as well be that!
    Yeah it's really handy, can't find the mock that was created with potential questions however I did find the analysis of all the past papers. Which provides you with what has come up and when, it also has a chart at the bottom which shows what types of questions have come up in the past and the percentage of marks they offer. Also It tells you what order you should prioritise your revision.

just waiting for my post to be approved... got this message still "Thanks for joining in the conversation. Your message is just being checked by a member of our moderation team. Once it's approved, your reply will be visible to everyone on this discussion."

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it's really handy, can't find the mock that was created with potential questions however I did find the analysis of all the past papers. Which provides you with what has come up and when, it also has a chart at the bottom which shows what types of questions have come up in the past and the percentage of marks they offer. Also It tells you what order you should prioritise your revision.

just waiting for my post to be approved... got this message still "Thanks for joining in the conversation. Your message is just being checked by a member of our moderation team. Once it's approved, your reply will be visible to everyone on this discussion."
    that sounds really handy! shame about not being able to find the mock but anything you can give is so appreciated thank you!

ReputationRep:
    come on....

Okay, I lost the full document with the self made "mock paper" that contained possible questions... However, here is a document that shows the trend of repeated questions, in terms of their topic, and then shows which topics you should prioritise in revising to achieve maximum mark potential.

ReputationRep:
    Name:  addition.gif
Views: 60
Size:  21.3 KB
    How do you add or subtract two numbers? I mean I know how to convert to two's complement but how does the actual addition work, like for this example, I got 11101101? Do you not XOR them?

ReputationRep:
    How do you guys declare variables in suedo code for this exam?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amberfernandes)
    Name:  addition.gif
Views: 60
Size:  21.3 KB
    How do you add or subtract two numbers? I mean I know how to convert to two's complement but how does the actual addition work, like for this example, I got 11101101? Do you not XOR them?
    To add two numbers, you do this for example:

You go from right to left, if both are 0's then the answer is 0, if they are different the answer is 1, if they are both 1, the answer is zero and you carry the 1 to the next number, like when adding numbers in base 10

for example:

00101101 = 45
    00001010 = 10
    -------------
    00110111 = 55

For "subtracting" the process is exactly the same, only you actually add a positive number and a negative number together

I hope this helps! P.S if the exam asks you to do this, you can always check by converting all your numbers to Base 10, or you could even just work out the maths in base 10 and then write the answer and working out in Base 2

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fitsasa)
    How do you guys declare variables in suedo code for this exam?
    I use "Set" as it appears in the mark scheme, though i don't know whether i should be declaring data types s the mark scheme doesn't seem too?

ReputationRep:
    To add two numbers, you do this for example:

You go from right to left, if both are 0's then the answer is 0, if they are different the answer is 1, if they are both 1, the answer is zero and you carry the 1 to the next number, like when adding numbers in base 10

for example:

00101101 = 45
    00001010 = 10
    -------------
    00110111 = 55

For "subtracting" the process is exactly the same, only you actually add a positive number and a negative number together

I hope this helps! P.S if the exam asks you to do this, you can always check by converting all your numbers to Base 10, or you could even just work out the maths in base 10 and then write the answer and working out in Base 2
    Eurgh you life saver thank you

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.