Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

WJEC A2 Computing CG3 - Tuesday 23rd June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread] Watch

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone think revising from the mark schemes will be helpful?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD223)
    Does anyone think revising from the mark schemes will be helpful?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hey. I wouldn't say make that your sole revision but it's definitely worth looking at. A lot of questions get repeated year by year and must be answered exactly how they want it (BNF definition is a good example) so it's worth trying to find a trend and learning the definitions they give you in the markscheme than the ones you may have found elsewhere.

I'm just curious if anyone has a clue as to what the huge mark question is at the end. Any guesses?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amberfernandes)
    Hey. I wouldn't say make that your sole revision but it's definitely worth looking at. A lot of questions get repeated year by year and must be answered exactly how they want it (BNF definition is a good example) so it's worth trying to find a trend and learning the definitions they give you in the markscheme than the ones you may have found elsewhere.

I'm just curious if anyone has a clue as to what the huge mark question is at the end. Any guesses?
    Thanks for the advice - I'll definitely start looking for patterns in MS definitions.

I would guess the compilation process and debuggers? That's come up before though. What came up in June and Jan last year?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD223)
    Thanks for the advice - I'll definitely start looking for patterns in MS definitions.

I would guess the compilation process and debuggers? That's come up before though. What came up in June and Jan last year?

Not sure what order, but one year was HCI and another was compilers and debuggers, so I don't know if they'd repeat them again so soon? I feel like it's going to be CASE tools etc but I'm hoping it isnt

ReputationRep:
    Not sure what order, but one year was HCI and another was compilers and debuggers, so I don't know if they'd repeat them again so soon? I feel like it's going to be CASE tools etc but I'm hoping it isnt
    Sorry to be a pain, but could you go over CASE tools and application generators with me?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD223)
    Sorry to be a pain, but could you go over CASE tools and application generators with me?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah of course:

CASE is a software tool which provides a number of functions which assist the design and testing of a computer system.
    They provide data dictionaries, may incorporate version control and the may carry out report generations. They also may include a graphics production feature.

An application generator is a software tool which is used to assist and speed up the creation of a system.
    They may include source code generators, and usually create code automatically. It may also include an interface generator and a debugger.

I think there's more points to both software tools than just this but that's a rough basis.
    The exam question for them is on the Summer 2012 paper if you want to see their actual model answer. It's a ten mark question.

Reaaaally hope we don't get this one as our long end of paper question

ReputationRep:
    Yeah of course:

CASE is a software tool which provides a number of functions which assist the design and testing of a computer system.
    They provide data dictionaries, may incorporate version control and the may carry out report generations. They also may include a graphics production feature.

An application generator is a software tool which is used to assist and speed up the creation of a system.
    They may include source code generators, and usually create code automatically. It may also include an interface generator and a debugger.

I think there's more points to both software tools than just this but that's a rough basis.
    The exam question for them is on the Summer 2012 paper if you want to see their actual model answer. It's a ten mark question.

Reaaaally hope we don't get this one as our long end of paper question
    Oh right yes! Thank you. The full points are:

• A CASE tool is a software tool which provides a number of functions which assist with the design and testing of a computer system / program.

CASE provides:
    • a data dictionary
    • includes a graphics / diagram production feature
    • may provide repositories of reusable code
    • may provide project management tool(s)
    • may incorporate version control
    • may carry out report generation
    • may include prototyping tool - accepted but not expected

• An application generator is a software tool which is used to assist and speed-up the creation of a (complete) system.

Application generators:
    • provides a complete environment to support the programmer
    • may include source code generator, compiler, etc
    • usually creates code automatically
    • may include an interface generator
    • may include a debugger
    • may be part of an integrated development environment - accepted not expected

ReputationRep:
    Anyone got their overall marks for the coursework back? I got mine today.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Getting mine on Tuesday I think, hope the last minute rush paid off.

Can anyone tell me the overall A-Level grade boundaries, so I can work out what I need for an A? I can't find them on the WJEC website.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jay_em)
    Getting mine on Tuesday I think, hope the last minute rush paid off.

Can anyone tell me the overall A-Level grade boundaries, so I can work out what I need for an A? I can't find them on the WJEC website.
    A* - 360/400 overall with 180 UMS in A2
    A - 320/400 overall
    B - 280/400 overall
    C - 240/400 overall

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have any tips for remembering the general structure of the algorithms they give us to write?

Also, how much are we expected to write down when dry running an algorithm? For example, would a recursive factorial calculation suffice to say:

CalcF(3) \times CalcF(2) \times CalcF(1)

= 3 \times 2 \times 1

= 6

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD223)
    A* - 360/400 overall with 180 UMS in A2
    A - 320/400 overall
    B - 280/400 overall
    C - 240/400 overall

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks. I got 155/200 at AS so A* is beyond me now, but I got 97/100 in the coursework this year so I think 75/100 is my target for CG3.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. I got 155/200 at AS so A* is beyond me now, but I got 97/100 in the coursework this year so I think 75/100 is my target for CG3.
    Nice! Is 75/100 on CG3 what you need for an A?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD223)
    Nice! Is 75/100 on CG3 what you need for an A?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah. Quite a nice target I think. Do you know what you need?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah. Quite a nice target I think. Do you know what you need?
    Nice

If my coursework mark remains at 99/100 and the boundaries remain at 70 UMS for that mark, then based on the last couple of years' boundaries I need:

• 52 UMS (around 45 marks based on previous papers but it can go up or down) for an A overall

• 110 UMS (around 85 marks on previous papers but it can go up or down) for an A*

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD223)
    Nice

If my coursework mark remains at 99/100 and the boundaries remain at 70 UMS for that mark, then based on the last couple of years' boundaries I need:

• 52 UMS (around 45 marks based on previous papers but it can go up or down) for an A overall

• 110 UMS (around 85 marks on previous papers but it can go up or down) for an A*

Posted from TSR Mobile
    45 for an A? That's a real nice position to be in. You must have aced CG1 and 2.

By the way, are you sure it's 360/400 UMS for an A*? Looking around I see more mention of it being an A over all plus 90% of UMS points for A2 modules.

ReputationRep:
    45 for an A? That's a real nice position to be in. You must have aced CG1 and 2.

By the way, are you sure it's 360/400 UMS for an A*? Looking around I see more mention of it being an A over all plus 90% of UMS points for A2 modules.
    Aha yeah thank you! I got 130/130 in CG1 and 68/70 in CG2

Sorry, no that was a mistake. In any subject it's 320/400 for an A*, so long as it's 180 from your A2 year. My mistake!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    What's everyone's best tips for memorising definitions? Flash cards? Walking around talking lol? I just get so bored doing it :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Personally I think the best way to revise is to check past papers and then learn of markschemes; WJEC doesnt provide many good books like AQA and they often want a specific answer which you can only learn if you learn the mark scheme. Plus i was told often the papers are marked by ICT teachers that have very little knowledge of computing and they rely on the mark scheme and not whether your answer makes sense in real world.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by actanide)
    Personally I think the best way to revise is to check past papers and then learn of markschemes; WJEC doesnt provide many good books like AQA and they often want a specific answer which you can only learn if you learn the mark scheme. Plus i was told often the papers are marked by ICT teachers that have very little knowledge of computing and they rely on the mark scheme and not whether your answer makes sense in real world.
    Woah I never knew that. That sucks. Do you just revise off of the mark schemes then!?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.