Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Good morning, everyone!

My name is Rodrigo and I'm a 20 year-old student from Portugal who applied and was accepted in a few universities in the UK.

My question is which one should I choose, since I don't know any of the 4 universities and have never been to the UK.

I applied to Motorsports Engineering in UCLan, Oxford Brookes, Kingston and Hertfordshire.

Would you help me choose? Which one is the best for learning and which city is the best to live in?

Thank you so much!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Can you please help me? It's kinda urgent because I need to prepare everything for my trip!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rodsilva)
    Can you please help me? It's kinda urgent because I need to prepare everything for my trip!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I know very little about the unis but in terms of ratings oxford brooks is tops and Kingston bottom. oxford is a mid size city and houses loads of students. uc lan is in preston a mid size city. Kingston is a suburb 10 miles from London and Hertfordshire is in hatfield about 20 miles from London. preston is fairly close to Manchester. this is about all I am able to tell you.

ReputationRep:
    Oxford Brookes or Coventry are the two best Unis in this country for anything to do with auto-engineering.

ReputationRep:
    So would you advice me to withdraw from Hertfordshire and apply to Coventry? I have received offers from Oxford Brookes and Kingston, but UCLan and Hertfordshire haven't said anything yet.

ReputationRep:
    Yes.

Except if you have already applied you cannot now change your application.

ReputationRep:
    So would you advice me to withdraw from Hertfordshire and apply to Coventry? I have received offers from Oxford Brookes and Kingston, but UCLan and Hertfordshire haven't said anything yet.
    going on the previous posters advice you probably cannot change now so it appears oxford brooks might be the best offer. if the offer from one of the others is lower perhaps this could be your insurance. you don't need to make any decision yet so take your time to decide

ReputationRep:
    You can apply to five universities through UCAS. If you applied to five and have two offers and are waiting for two others (and were rejected by the fifth?), you cannot apply to any others this year (except through clearing, which is risky, and will not be available until August 2015).

However, if you have only applied to four so far, then you can add Coventry.

Whether or not you apply to Coventry, you will not need to choose between your offers yet, so you can afford to wait for the other universities to get back to you. Read this article
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...urance_choices
    about choosing between your offers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Holmstock)
    You can apply to five universities through UCAS. If you applied to five and have two offers and are waiting for two others (and were rejected by the fifth?), you cannot apply to any others this year (except through clearing, which is risky, and will not be available until August 2015).

However, if you have only applied to four so far, then you can add Coventry.

Whether or not you apply to Coventry, you will not need to choose between your offers yet, so you can afford to wait for the other universities to get back to you. Read this article
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...urance_choices
    about choosing between your offers.
    The thing is I applied to two courses in UCLan. I thought I could withdraw from a choice and add a different one. I'm mistaken?

ReputationRep:
    The thing is I applied to two courses in UCLan. I thought I could withdraw from a choice and add a different one. I'm mistaken?
    yes unless its within 7 days of making your application. I suggest you ask someone more knowledgeable than me but I think it is right and only then if you have not received a reply from that uni

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swanseajack1)
    yes unless its within 7 days of making your application. I suggest you ask someone more knowledgeable than me but I think it is right and only then if you have not received a reply from that uni
    Yes, I just read that 7 day condition. Well, what a bummer. I'll probably make Oxford Brookes my firm choice, then if both UCLan and Hertfordshire accept me, it will be choosing between one of them as the insurance.

Now one last question - is it not guaranteed that I get a place in any university? I mean, I already have the offers, is there any way I would end up without a place to study?

ReputationRep:
    If you have an unconditional offer your in. if you have a conditional offer and meet the conditions your in. if you don't meet the conditions you might be rejected and there is a possibility no uni will accept you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swanseajack1)
    If you have an unconditional offer your in. if you have a conditional offer and meet the conditions your in. if you don't meet the conditions you might be rejected and there is a possibility no uni will accept you
    Not bad, I might just get a place, then. After the first year, in case something goes sour, I can always change unis! Thank you so much! Happy new year!

ReputationRep:
    Going to any Uni with the sole intention of switching Unis later is daft.
    Firstly why spend a year at a Uni you dont want to be at, secondly a transfer may not be possible.

I suspect you are just trying to wind people up here?

ReputationRep:
    Not at all... Thing is, if I dislike it for some reason I have the possibility of switching. I will not be going to Uni with the intention of later changing.

Poll
Which web browser do you use?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.