Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Good morning, everyone!

My name is Rodrigo and I'm a 20 year-old student from Portugal who applied and was accepted in a few universities in the UK.

My question is which one should I choose, since I don't know any of the 4 universities and have never been to the UK.

I applied to Motorsports Engineering in UCLan, Oxford Brookes, Kingston and Hertfordshire.

Would you help me choose? Which one is the best for learning and which city is the best to live in?

Thank you so much!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    In the following order: Oxford Brookes, Uclan or Hertfordshire... don't bother about Kingston.

Oxford Brookes is based close to many do called Motorsport companies, or those associated with the industry.

Hertfordshire has one of the oldest courses but that doesn't mean it is the best.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NEXTHAT)
    In the following order: Oxford Brookes, Uclan or Hertfordshire... don't bother about Kingston.

Oxford Brookes is based close to many do called Motorsport companies, or those associated with the industry.

Hertfordshire has one of the oldest courses but that doesn't mean it is the best.
    What about Uclan? They have quite a few successful stories on their website about people who got a degree there in Motorsports Engineering and now work in Formula 1 - which is my goal. Even more than that, I feel like Uclan has a better support for students. Being an international student it's good to feel like the uni is taking care of me - felt that with Uclan, not so much with Oxford Brookes. So what info could you give me on Uclan?

Would it be wise to put Oxford as my firm choice and Uclan as insurance?

Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    First and foremost formula one is hard to get into: period! Don't let any university advertising tell you otherwise. Universities use students who have gone to the " wow " jobs to lure students onto their course. To better understand why the student got the job you need to ask them. I've seen the Uclan site and yes they do show someone who went onto formula one, but now contrast that with Loughborough university where there are none but I know for a fact that all their formula students where selected by the formula one teams.

Next, always always when picking a university go by your gut feeling. If Uclan fells right then choose that over oxfords Brookes.BUT there are also other factors to take into account as well such as the uni overall, the people, the lecturers etc..etch. I would recommend you go the individual uni forums and ask students their about their experience thus far.

And finally from an academic point of view, you need to make sure that the course you are doing is relevant to the industry you want it go into I.e. Is the course going to teach you those things that are of concern in the formula one industry, for example hybrid technology and its impact on performance.

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.