Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    hi,

I am writing up my OCR chemistry coursework now, I have just looked at the mark scheme but I got very confused about what I need to write, especially the analysis section where it says "describe the outcomes of the investigation in full detail" and "draw conclusions from recorded observations and measurements which are in considerable detail and depth", I don't understand the difference between an outcome and a conclusion.

I thought the outcome you get will be your conclusion, so for example, I am doing a rate experiment, a graph I've drawn shows that the higher the concentration the faster the reaction. Isn't that my outcome as well as my conclusion?? I don't think I can say anything else from that......:confused::confused:

Oh and I am just wondering if anyone who has finished a-level chemistry can very kindly email their coursework to me to have a look at please??? OR if anyone knows any useful websites that has examples of this individual investigation, please can you give me the links??!! Thank you very much!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mwu13)
    hi,

I am writing up my OCR chemistry coursework now, I have just looked at the mark scheme but I got very confused about what I need to write, especially the analysis section where it says "describe the outcomes of the investigation in full detail" and "draw conclusions from recorded observations and measurements which are in considerable detail and depth", I don't understand the difference between an outcome and a conclusion.

I thought the outcome you get will be your conclusion, so for example, I am doing a rate experiment, a graph I've drawn shows that the higher the concentration the faster the reaction. Isn't that my outcome as well as my conclusion?? I don't think I can say anything else from that......:confused::confused:

Oh and I am just wondering if anyone who has finished a-level chemistry can very kindly email their coursework to me to have a look at please??? OR if anyone knows any useful websites that has examples of this individual investigation, please can you give me the links??!! Thank you very much!!!!
    Which experiment have you chosen? As it would help with providing help. I did mine last year (a rates experiment) and got an A*, i'll try and find the document for you!

From what I can remember:
    The outcomes section could be the results of your reaction. Explain what happened, produce the data you have collected etc etc and the overall rate equation, if layed out. It generally isn't the longest section and I don't think it is worth the most amount of marks...

For the conclusions section you have to explain your data and if it is what you expected to happen. When I did mine, two of my experiments did not work at all, but as I explained why they went wrong, what was wrong with my data and would could produce the correct results (i.e the rate equation).

The key I found with my conclusion was detail. Try and aviod the typical GCSE answer of 'if I did the experiment again, I would be more careful in my measuring' or something.

Drop me a PM and I can try and find my coursework for you, if I can't find it i'll try and find some of the documents my college offered for advice on the coursework.

Hope it helps!

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.