Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chlorophile)
    How many autistic people do you know? And I really don't understand why you're going on about autistic people, I'm not talking about people with disabilities. People with disabilities may well be part of the set of people who are not done justice by the education system but it's a much wider problem than just the disabled, many hundreds of thousands of non-disabled people are being done a disservice too.
    Quite a few and I know it's not just handicapped people who aren't being done justice but I was giving an example of a group of people that were. I never said it was only handicapped people.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingCorneliusIII)
    Hi guys, I just saw this picture about intelligence and I've got to say that I really disagree with it. I just think it's trying to blame the education system ad to why people fail. Does anyone else feel this way or have a different view?
    I know this cartoon. I see six different animals with six different skills. Every single animal has to manage the same 'exam': to climb the tree. Only the monkey is able to do that, the other animals couldn't. Refer to the Education I would not say that this cartoon blames the education system as a whole, but a part of it, namely that people with different skills and intelligences (the spiritual, the emotional and the artistic one to name but a few) have not the chance to perform them, as the 'selection' of the education system is too rigid and too homogenous to enable the development of different skills. From this point of view I can say that the selection of the education system is unfair in being fair, because people with different skills must be equated in a common skill.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingCorneliusIII)
    Quite a few and I know it's not just handicapped people who aren't being done justice but I was giving an example of a group of people that were. I never said it was only handicapped people.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    So what's the conflict with what I was saying?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheRecorder)
    And that is my stance on the matter. My father, who is blind and unfortunately didn't receive that much support during his time within the education system, doesn't have that many "qualifications" but the experiences he has gained through life and self-study of the subjects he is interested in (mainly politics and economics) is nothing but impressive. Despite his lack of educational accolades he is still one of the most intelligent people that I know.
    Hahaha this is TSR don't take the general perception on this site seriously.

All these ''IQ Tests'' and so on only measure abstract intelligence. There are many forms of intelligence and arguably, the others are most useful.

Social, Emotional, Practical, Kinaesthetic are some of them I bet your father is intelligent because of having these developed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chlorophile)
    So what's the conflict with what I was saying?
    There isn't one. I thought that you thought I was insinuating that the only people hard done by the system were autistic people.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Haven't I made it clear? If not then my apologies.

My point is that a lot of people judge the intelligence of others by what they have achieved within the education system. Surely, if you concur with my previous comments about those being "spoon fed" and those who get to the grade by there own merit, using educational accolades to judge someone's intelligence is a floored system of measurement.
    Ohh yeah I understand

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MSI_10)
    Hahaha this is TSR don't take the general perception on this site seriously.
    Haha...cheers and don't worry I won't/don't. All I want is to just voice some opinions and share some experiences (as after all these shape opinions).

TSR seems to be a nice escape where I can voice some opinions and find out what others have to say - something I don't get to do in my normal life in a sense as I am what one might call "a young professional" where work is my life.

ReputationRep:
    Tbh exams are a complex thing and people will adapt diffently to them : if one person does amazingly at exams it doesn't mean they are a genius itcould just mean they are brilliant at obtaining knowledge and brain dumping them , the same goes for people who don't do well they could be far more intellectually talented than someone who gets an A* because they just cant get their head around the actual exam , they could have learning disabilities(autism ect..) which prevemts them from being able to concentrate and so on but that doesn't mean they are not smart and I dont think that should give them a disadvantage at life / their future career !!!

ReputationRep:
    But wouldn't you agree that a lot of people in today's society use educational accolades as an instrument to measure a person's level of intelligence. If that is the case, then does this mean that the system isn't right for what society wants to extrapolate from it?
    If society does that then its society's that is at fault however I dont think it happens - at least not when it matters. When education achievements are considered it is usually considered either as way to reduce the list of candidates or when educational achievement is actually needed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swanderfeild)
    If society does that then its society's that is at fault however I dont think it happens - at least not when it matters. When education achievements are considered it is usually considered either as way to reduce the list of candidates or when educational achievement is actually needed.
    I disagree. I have seen a lot of this form of judgement being made. And what exactly is "when it matters" meant to mean?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 1, 2015
Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.