Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

ebay small claims court Watch

• Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    So I was selling a snowboard bag over christmas and it was going to sell for £1 so I ended the item, messaged the winner that I was cancelling it. He then proceeded to pay which I refunded and said the item was no longer available. He is now threatening to take me to small claims court over this. Do I have a case?

ReputationRep:
    No as you don't owe him money if you refunded
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    He should be fined £200 for considering taking anyone to court for £1...

ReputationRep:
    The remedy would probably be rescission or money back and as you already refunded him there is no case.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    If you're a private seller he can report you to eBay (who may tell you off but won't take much action for a first offence). But the buyer has no grounds to take you to court. He's just trying to scare you.

You should set a better start price on future auctions though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    This has to be a troll thread.

Small claims court for a quid who does that
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tillytots)

Not troll. He's not claiming the one quid but for me to give him the cost of a new one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noodlzzz)
    Not troll. He's not claiming the one quid but for me to give him the cost of a new one.
    Tell him to bugger off. I'm sure it's all talk, I'm sure ebay have bigger fish to fry

ReputationRep:
    He can report you to eBay, that's about it. If you ended the item early and refunded then I'm pretty sure you've covered your ass. It's bad form but hey. In future do your homework, and if you're listing anything of value try to ensure it ends at around 9-10pm on a Sunday (e.g. 10 day listing started at 9-10pm on Thurs) for maximal virtual 'footfall' :borat:

(Original post by A5ko)
    He should be fined £200 for considering taking anyone to court for £1...
    I'm not sure you understand the economic values involved :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foo.mp3)
    I'm not sure you understand the economic values involved :facepalm:
    Or I care so little that I have no compulsion to lend anything useful to the discussion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A5ko)
    Or I care so little that I have no compulsion to lend anything useful to the discussion.
    My proposition may well be a function of this one :mmm:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    So he has said he's got the paper work to file a claim. I looked at small claims court and there is no appropriate section. I don't owe him any money...

Going to CAB to see what they say. I really don't want to have to cover the cost of his claim if he wins...

ReputationRep:
    small claims court is only if someone owes you money. You refunded him so you owe him no money and his claim will probably be chucked out.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    He says he has my address. Could he? I looked at items I've purchased and they don't have the sellers address on. And he hasn't got it through ebay as he didn't file a complaint through them.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noodlzzz)
    He says he has my address. Could he? I looked at items I've purchased and they don't have the sellers address on. And he hasn't got it through ebay as he didn't file a complaint through them.
    He can request your address from eBay - but if he does, eBay will email you to let you know

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Will I have to physically go to court if he precedes with this? (said he was going to send off tomorrow) :/

Sorry for the all questions guys, just a bit nervous and pissed off!

ReputationRep:
    Just laugh at him? Nothings going to happen of it. He hasn't filled out a form. Hes just being a tool bag. Ignore him.

ReputationRep:
    Only someone with more money and time then sense would take someone to court over £1.
    I really would not threat about it.

The only thing I would be concerned with is negative feedback.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Can Action Fraud help?

(Original post by tillytots)

This is unlikely a troll thread. During a filming of Top Gear when The Stig was doing a lap in a 458 it caught fire. He took Ferrari court. He legally forced Ferrari to take his million pounds because he refused Ferraris offer of a free new 458 plus a pack of strongbow and another test lap (which he now has to pay for himself. I dont know his gender I was just being generic).

Unfortunately this wont be for a while. Jupiter is nearing opposition and this is interfering with Stigs plasmic organic electronics.

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?
Useful resources
Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.