Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Absorbaloff)
    If youre a student nurse then its likely your placement trust fast tracks you into bank work
    I'm not, I study neuroscience. Not sure I'll have the time to go into it part time with my degree as well!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophmlg)
    I'm not, I study neuroscience. Not sure I'll have the time to go into it part time with my degree as well!
    Aahh, I see. I was getting a little confused. You could always do some bank work in the summer. Its a great way to get we and earn money

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering if there was a support group type thing for anybody doing the GAMSAT in 2016?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kendellex)
    Just wondering if there was a support group type thing for anybody doing the GAMSAT in 2016?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I don't think there is but I might be wrong.
    Are you going to sit the Irish Gamsat or the UK Gamsat?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paniking_and_not_revising)
    I don't think there is but I might be wrong.
    Are you going to sit the Irish Gamsat or the UK Gamsat?
    Probs the UK one... Depends where I am at the time of the exams

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zorg)
    UKCAT last for the application cycle commencing that year only, i.e. only one year.
    GAMSAT is the o la exam that lasts 2 years
    Ah, thanks Zorg that makes my decision for me :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kendellex)
    Probs the UK one... Depends where I am at the time of the exams

Posted from TSR Mobile
    How are you studying for it?

I'm reading through A Level books and while Bio and Chem are fine (I remember some from AS), I'm hating the Physics. I'm also doing A Level papers to try and get to grips with the content.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paniking_and_not_revising)
    How are you studying for it?

I'm reading through A Level books and while Bio and Chem are fine (I remember some from AS), I'm hating the Physics. I'm also doing A Level papers to try and get to grips with the content.
    I study natural sciences at uni so have the biology background and a little bit of chemistry. Will try and steal some notes or reading lists off my chemistry friends.
    For physics I've literally just bought books to cover the A-Level syllabus. I like the mechanical side of it but hate everything else 😭

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone! I'm not actually applying for the 2017 entry, but I'm just wondering do you also need a reference or references and a personal statement, just like when you are applying for an undergraduate course?

Also, if you do need a reference, may I have some advice as how to ask for it without offending the lecturer(s) at my university? I'm currently a first year adult nurse; however, I'm beginning to feel that nursing may not be the best suit for me. I feel really horrible just typing this because I have so much respect for the nurses and I know there is currently a shortage of nurses. I love talking with the patients and all of that, but at the same time, I really really want to do medicine. :/ I understand GEM is very very competitive, but I really want to try and see if I can do it.

I wish you all the best!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coldhell)
    Hello everyone! I'm not actually applying for the 2017 entry, but I'm just wondering do you also need a reference or references and a personal statement, just like when you are applying for an undergraduate course?

Also, if you do need a reference, may I have some advice as how to ask for it without offending the lecturer(s) at my university? I'm currently a first year adult nurse; however, I'm beginning to feel that nursing may not be the best suit for me. I feel really horrible just typing this because I have so much respect for the nurses and I know there is currently a shortage of nurses. I love talking with the patients and all of that, but at the same time, I really really want to do medicine. :/ I understand GEM is very very competitive, but I really want to try and see if I can do it.

I wish you all the best!!!
    Have you only just started nursing? If so, it may be better to leave and pursue medicine. Funding is very debatable for the next few years and if you're not committed to nursing you could struggle to get through it. Best of luck

ReputationRep:
    Have you only just started nursing? If so, it may be better to leave and pursue medicine. Funding is very debatable for the next few years and if you're not committed to nursing you could struggle to get through it. Best of luck
    The thing is my A levels weren't high enough so I would have not stood a chance if I applied to the undergrad medicine last year and at the moment, I'm doing really well in my course. I was thinking of applying to Pharmacy, but I didn't like it when I was doing my work experience because in my opinion, there was not much interaction with patients, so I ended up doing nursing. I don't hate nursing, but as I do my nursing placements and from time to time working with doctors, I begin to realize how much I would have preferred to learn what the doctors learn. Although nursing involves quite a bit of science, it does not go into much depth as much as medicine, which then lead me to conclude that medicine might be a more suitable course for me.

Sorry for writing quite a long paragraph!! But I really appreciate you replying!! I just need some advice. Also, do you need a reference when applying? You see, this is my problem too, I don't want to offend my lecturer/s haha?

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coldhell)
    The thing is my A levels weren't high enough so I would have not stood a chance if I applied to the undergrad medicine last year and at the moment, I'm doing really well in my course. I was thinking of applying to Pharmacy, but I didn't like it when I was doing my work experience because in my opinion, there was not much interaction with patients, so I ended up doing nursing. I don't hate nursing, but as I do my nursing placements and from time to time working with doctors, I begin to realize how much I would have preferred to learn what the doctors learn. Although nursing involves quite a bit of science, it does not go into much depth as much as medicine, which then lead me to conclude that medicine might be a more suitable course for me.

Sorry for writing quite a long paragraph!! But I really appreciate you replying!! I just need some advice. Also, do you need a reference when applying? You see, this is my problem too, I don't want to offend my lecturer/s haha?

Thank you
    Thats ok! You do need a reference from your tutor, they dont have any right to deny you that. I would also apply to nurse friendly universities or do a years worth of practice to consilidate your understanding and also to show youre not course hopping.

ReputationRep:
    Thats ok! You do need a reference from your tutor, they dont have any right to deny you that. I would also apply to nurse friendly universities or do a years worth of practice to consilidate your understanding and also to show youre not course hopping.
    Ok. Thank you so much!!!

ReputationRep:
    coldhell, I can soooo empathise with you I am planning to do the same. What I hope to do is graduate next September and then ask my tutors for a reference that way it won't affect the way they treat you while you're doing your nursing degree. Also, if you were to ask them for a reference half way through your nursing it kind of shows your lack of commitment. I think they will be much more accepting of your change of career after you qualified. And you will still have plenty of time to apply for medicine the same year. Which universities are you planning to apply to?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lena000)
    coldhell, I can soooo empathise with you I am planning to do the same. What I hope to do is graduate next September and then ask my tutors for a reference that way it won't affect the way they treat you while you're doing your nursing degree. Also, if you were to ask them for a reference half way through your nursing it kind of shows your lack of commitment. I think they will be much more acceptable of your change of career after you qualified. And you will still have plenty of time to apply for medicine the same year. Which universities are you planning to apply to?
    Your tutors don't have any right to treat you differently just because you want to enter another profession. I'm sure nursing teachers all over the UK will see a steep rise in students wanting to go into medicine or other professions so it is something they have to get used to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lena000)
    coldhell, I can soooo empathise with you I am planning to do the same. What I hope to do is graduate next September and then ask my tutors for a reference that way it won't affect the way they treat you while you're doing your nursing degree. Also, if you were to ask them for a reference half way through your nursing it kind of shows your lack of commitment. I think they will be much more accepting of your change of career after you qualified. And you will still have plenty of time to apply for medicine the same year. Which universities are you planning to apply to?
    Hey! I have only just seen this, but I feel so relieved that I'm not the only one! Yes, I do agree with you and I keep thinking about that as well: should you apply after you graduate or before? And haha I really agree with you about lack of commitment, I really don't want to come across like this as well. I love nursing and I do have a lot of respect for nurses and I love the fact that you're with the patients all the time, so you can build rapport with them etc. but at the same time it's not as scientific compared to medicine, if you know what I mean? Obviously, nurses need to have quite a bit of scientific knowledge, otherwise many lives will be put at risk.

I am not really sure yet, tbh. It depends on my UKCAT score and I'm so nervous about this as well and I'm thinking of giving GAMSAT a go...so I better get revising... How about you? Which unis? Please update me on this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skido)
    Hey I m a Biomed first year, and my goal is to apply at the end of second year for 2017 entry. . But i wanted to ask something, I am an EU student, and I know that many unis ask for A levels too, and I am not sure if my ones are equivalent, because I took a foundation year before I entered my course. So my question is does a Science foundation year count at all during the application process? or you defo need to have A leves or equivelents? Also does anyone know if taking a first aid 3 day course(which looks quite expensive) would be useful for the work experience part of the application? thank you.
    Hi, most Universities won't look to hard at A-Level grades if you've done well or expect to do well in your degree overall. The only reply I have had that requests good grades is Cambridge - Oxford to it's merit 'recognises' that some people do better in later life, so they don't mind poor A levels or equivalents if you can prove you now do better - this is normally done through aptitude tests.

Work experience for medicine will be useful, the three day course may prove to be useful but what they actually want to see from you is a genuine understanding of the realities of being a doctor, the three day course will likely be useful but you are unlikely to get those realities from it. I'd use it to prop up your application, but I would strongly recommend going for hospital work experience, shadowing a wide-ish range of specialities and/or some volunteering work with the more vulnerable of our society.

Kind Regards.

ReputationRep:
    hey guys...

I wanna do medicine
    I got BBCC for AS in bio,ict,chem and phys, just started A2

Now i'm applying for pharmacy because I didn't get the predictions and don't have enough experience.

IKNOW pharmacy is completely different and a course on its own and shouldnt be a 2nd choice to medicine, but I actually really like chemistry and the idea of how medicines work. I also think that when I finish the pharmacy course, and I apply for medicine, I will have so much more knowledge, because I would be a pharmacist and a doctor! And since i will enter uni when I'm 19, I would be a licensed pharmacist at 24 and a doctor at 29 and by the time I'm 31 i would've finished everything. Assuming I live to 60, I'd have 29 years of happiness ahead of me

I could also apply for pharmacy in case my results don't come out as AAA or above, and i have a well respected interesting career to fall back on. I truly wouldn't mind being a pharmacist but i would love to be a doctor but if i had to spend my life being a pharmacist i would be happy. I'm just saying if there is a chance to be a doctor i'm taking it, if not whatever i'm content.

HOWEVER

I wanted to come on here and ask you guys first bc clearly i dont know what I'm getting myself into having no experience of university. If you could go back in time, what would you do? What do you advise me to do? Should I take a gap year? Should I do pharmacy? What should I do? What's the best, least risky way to go? THanks guys

ReputationRep:
    Don't take a gap year! Waste of time, you should embrace your studies and enjoy them. Don't think of it as - I'm working hard now to be happy and free later! Rather think of it as a journey - you're cruising along the highway of your own success.

Also remember, in medicine there's no such thing as "I finished studying," medicine is constantly changing and evolving and you will constantly learn as you move forward in your career.....

P.S. if you're in it for the money, get out NOW! Because you won't be successful and you can make a lot more money in business - in much less time! (Without running up a huge debt with student finance.)

Hop I was helpful.

Meir.
    (Original post by Rhink)
    hey guys...

I wanna do medicine
    I got BBCC for AS in bio,ict,chem and phys, just started A2

Now i'm applying for pharmacy because I didn't get the predictions and don't have enough experience.

IKNOW pharmacy is completely different and a course on its own and shouldnt be a 2nd choice to medicine, but I actually really like chemistry and the idea of how medicines work. I also think that when I finish the pharmacy course, and I apply for medicine, I will have so much more knowledge, because I would be a pharmacist and a doctor! And since i will enter uni when I'm 19, I would be a licensed pharmacist at 24 and a doctor at 29 and by the time I'm 31 i would've finished everything. Assuming I live to 60, I'd have 29 years of happiness ahead of me

I could also apply for pharmacy in case my results don't come out as AAA or above, and i have a well respected interesting career to fall back on. I truly wouldn't mind being a pharmacist but i would love to be a doctor but if i had to spend my life being a pharmacist i would be happy. I'm just saying if there is a chance to be a doctor i'm taking it, if not whatever i'm content.

HOWEVER

I wanted to come on here and ask you guys first bc clearly i dont know what I'm getting myself into having no experience of university. If you could go back in time, what would you do? What do you advise me to do? Should I take a gap year? Should I do pharmacy? What should I do? What's the best, least risky way to go? THanks guys

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meir kest)
    Don't take a gap year! Waste of time, you should embrace your studies and enjoy them. Don't think of it as - I'm working hard now to be happy and free later! Rather think of it as a journey - you're cruising along the highway of your own success.

Also remember, in medicine there's no such thing as "I finished studying," medicine is constantly changing and evolving and you will constantly learn as you move forward in your career.....

P.S. if you're in it for the money, get out NOW! Because you won't be successful and you can make a lot more money in business - in much less time! (Without running up a huge debt with student finance.)

Hop I was helpful.

Meir.
    yeah you were helpful thanks! Also i didn't mean as in finished all study, I meant I would be a qualified doctor able to practice by that point. I know medicine isn't something you do, it is something you are. I have one chance at life and I want to help people in the biggest way i can, by improving their health. I can do that through both pharmacy and medicine, which is why both careers intrigue me so much. However I know that I want to be the person you see when you walk through that door at the GP, i wanna be someone with authority, that my patients can trust. I want to be the person to put their worries at ease. It is scary knowing something is going wrong inside your fragile, human body and I want to be the person who reassures the patient that it's not a problem and it can be fixed. There's just something about that, that gives me a satisfaction no amount of money can give me. I would do medicine even if it meant i will be in debt all my life, and only earn 10K a year, I would do it. I have one chance and one only, and this is how i want to use it.

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.