Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thomas96)
    I applied to both Newcaslte and Kings and haven't heard back yet but other people have, should I expect a rejection now then?
    No news is good news!

ReputationRep:
    I applied to both Newcaslte and Kings and haven't heard back yet but other people have, should I expect a rejection now then?
    I haven't noticed any graduates getting interviews from King's yet. Just undergrads at the moment I think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tsar101)

The GAMSAT and BMAT exams on the other hand are very fair and reasonable.
    Errr... can't say I agree. In an argument about the entrance exam not being reflective of the skills required to be a doctor, saying the GAMSAT is fair is rather ridiculous considering two thirds of it involve writing argumentative and reflective essays to vague historical quotes and digesting poetry and literature to determine the most appropriate underlying thematic answer... hardly testing our drug metabolism knowledge or our communication skills is it.

All 3 entrance exams are very much 'hoop jumping' requirements.

Edit: this wasn't meant to sound arsey so sorry if it does. Still harbouring some ill feeling towards GAMSAT haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by Themightylaa)
    Errr... can't say I agree. In an argument about the entrance exam not being reflective of the skills required to be a doctor, saying the GAMSAT is fair is rather ridiculous considering two thirds of it involve writing argumentative and reflective essays to vague historical quotes and digesting poetry and literature to determine the most appropriate underlying thematic answer... hardly testing our drug metabolism knowledge or our communication skills is it.

All 3 entrance exams are very much 'hoop jumping' requirements.

Edit: this wasn't meant to sound arsey so sorry if it does. Still harbouring some ill feeling towards GAMSAT haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah, I kind of understand where you are coming from. But relative to other entrance exams, the UKCAT is the most unfair way of discriminating between applicants.

ReputationRep:
    Whether we think its fair or not I dont think its going to make a difference, these tests are used by unis, they dont yet have a better method so for the tie being they will determine our future unfortunately.

I sat the UKCAT (twice), GMSAT, and the BMAT.

BMAT and GAMSAT you can actually revise for and are similar to uni/school exam style.
    UKCAT is a total fluke.
    The end.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ama2007)
    Whether we think its fair or not I dont think its going to make a difference, these tests are used by unis, they dont yet have a better method so for the tie being they will determine our future unfortunately.

BMAT and GAMSAT you can actually revise for and are similar to uni/school exam style.
    UKCAT is a total fluke.
    The end.
    Calling the UKCAT a fluke is a bit unfair. Yes there's an element of luck, but by saying that you're undermining people's good results. If it was a fluke people would score the same results at the start of 'revising' as the end. I, and many others, improved hugely

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sean0219)
    Calling the UKCAT a fluke is a bit unfair. Yes there's an element of luck, but by saying that you're undermining people's good results. If it was a fluke people would score the same results at the start of 'revising' as the end. I, and many others, improved hugely

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Fair point,
    apologies, that wasn't intended.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ama2007)

UKCAT is a total fluke.
    The end.
    First time I took the UKCAT without 'revising' I got 660, after 'revising' I got 750. My friends have all got around the same score if they have taken it multiple times when they 'revise' for it so I don't think it is a total fluke. However, I do agree that the admission test is stupid as hell, but not for the reasons you do.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know if Newcastle are still sending out invites over the next few weeks for interview or am i out of luck?

ReputationRep:
    I do sort of agree with the argument above, it is possible to 'revise' for the UKCAT but at the same time I believe there is a limit to what any individual can achieve with it. However with the BMAT and GAMSAT, which I would say are more difficult exams, if you work hard you will be able to achieve good marks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Everyone seems to be forgetting that the UKCAT is an APTITUDE test- its meant to show what you are capable of knowing. GAMSAT tests the knowledge you already have. IMO neither is better or worse, they're just different.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by puddleduck)
    Everyone seems to be forgetting that the UKCAT is an APTITUDE test- its meant to show what you are capable of knowing. GAMSAT tests the knowledge you already have. IMO neither is better or worse, they're just different.
    I'm not FORGETTING that, it's just a thought.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm not FORGETTING that, it's just a thought.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Fair enough!

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone with an interview considering doing a mock MMI course?

Also if anyone has any experience of these courses it would be great to find out if they were any good?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys! Bit late to thet party!

Got an interview from Newcastle, but has anyone heard back from Bristol, Birmingham, or Southampton yet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by darioholic)
    Hey guys! Bit late to thet party!

Got an interview from Newcastle, but has anyone heard back from Bristol, Birmingham, or Southampton yet?
    Nothing from Southampton yet

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chocoholic20)
    Is anyone with an interview considering doing a mock MMI course?

Also if anyone has any experience of these courses it would be great to find out if they were any good?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm thinking of doing a Medic Portal one. I feel that with the traditional ones, they're pretty straightforward with what to expect. Get an interview book, and grasp what it is that makes a 'good' answer and keep practising. You can even practice by yourself of get people to ask you questions. But with MMI, i feel its a bit harder on the practice front as they're made up scenarios and testing how you react and approach them?

ReputationRep:
    Hey,
    Have any grads got any interviews yet either for 5 year programs Kings and Warwick grad program?
    Tense times lol!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chartee21)
    Hello!

Just thought I'd let people know that I've spoken to Warwick and they're not expecting to finish shortlisting till the 10th/11th of December (so long away ) and Southampton are expecting to send out their invites at the end of December roughly 2 weeks before interview!! They seem to like keeping us hanging on! I've also emailed Cambridge to get an update (i am ridiculously impatient seemingly) so will update when I hear!

Hope everyone is doing okay and not stressing too much like me!
    Ahhhhhh that's so long I applied to Southampton and Warwick too. Really wish we could find out sooner!

I booked tickets almost a year ago to go abroad for a wedding in the first two weeks of January and now finding out that the notice they give before interviews is a matter of weeks is a bit stressful!

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone come across a thread for Kings A102 applicants for 2017 entry?

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.