Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rosser1994)
    Having a little bit of a worry right now with this work experience for Warwick.

I had a Ghana Medical Brigade which I was going to talk heavily about but that was in September 2014, so that's out.

I did 10 weeks full time in a lung function clinic in 3rd year (So that's 50 hours-max cut off), shadowing doctors/consultants and talking to patients about their experience.
    i've recently started a job as a HCA (16 hours), but i've only gone through training during those 16 hours so no direct patient contact as of yet.
    I've volunteered in an elderly care home doing various tasks (22 hours)
    Also volunteered for a day with homeless asylum seekers in Cardiff to find out the goings on there and how they can feedback to the NHS etc. (8 hours)

Is this work experience form purely a box ticking of 'yes, he's met 70 hours in more than 1 category' or is there more to it than that guys?
    At the end of the day, it's just box ticking. It doesn't matter if you have 70 hours or 700.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cuts92)
    Whats everyones thoughts on the Swansea applicant day? Its such short notice and I have a final interview on Thursday for which I want to be in 'give me a job' mode rather than 'I want to be a friggin doctor already' mode! Anyone who's applying again and has been last year - Is it much use? they have a rundown of the course structure (what I'm most interested in) on their website. Thanks in advance
    I went there to the open day last year and it was a good day to be honest. Swansea is beaut and the uni ethos is class. Admission tutors are super approachable and the uni itself has good facilities. It's a way of you getting a snapshot of what it's like at med school. If you aren't bothered about course structure, getting involved in some workshops and asking questions it probably isn't that necessary though. If ya just wanna study medicine anywhere and don't mind where, don't go, if ya want a specific teaching method, location and set of facilities, check it out. It's the middle of nowhere though so prep for a journey

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neuralgal)
    At the end of the day, it's just box ticking. It doesn't matter if you have 70 hours or 700.
    Yep that's what I was told too. They said at the open day that people with 700 get no advantage over those with 70, it's the quality of the experience they look at not the quantity

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by michrab123)
    Yep that's what I was told too. They said at the open day that people with 700 get no advantage over those with 70, it's the quality of the experience they look at not the quantity

Posted from TSR Mobile
    So that's what this form is for? Just to say we've made the hours?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rosser1994)
    So that's what this form is for? Just to say we've made the hours?
    Yep apparently so!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone heard back from Imperial about interviews?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Omea28)
    Has anyone heard back from Imperial about interviews?
    Nope

ReputationRep:
    Interview for Southampton! so happy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hayleeyy)
    Interview for Southampton! so happy
    Yay! Congrats! What were your stats if you don't mind me asking? (UKCAT, degree class, etc)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mj1dan2014)
    Yay! Congrats! What were your stats if you don't mind me asking? (UKCAT, degree class, etc)
    Thank you very much

UKCAT- 750
    Degree - Neuroscience (in third year but predicted a first)
    Been working in healthcare part time and full time since march

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hayleeyy)
    Thank you very much

UKCAT- 750
    Degree - Neuroscience (in third year but predicted a first)
    Been working in healthcare part time and full time since march
    That looks great! Best of luck for the interview Is it in early January?

ReputationRep:
    Interview for Southampton! Thought my ukcat was too low at 716 but there's hope! 😄

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Looking at the student room from last year they seemed to hear back from Cambridge around this time but I haven't heard back yet either. Guess they did say before christmas....

ReputationRep:
    Soton Interview 753 UKCAT

Soton A101 thread:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=4204622

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swfc 16)
    I went there to the open day last year and it was a good day to be honest. Swansea is beaut and the uni ethos is class. Admission tutors are super approachable and the uni itself has good facilities. It's a way of you getting a snapshot of what it's like at med school. If you aren't bothered about course structure, getting involved in some workshops and asking questions it probably isn't that necessary though. If ya just wanna study medicine anywhere and don't mind where, don't go, if ya want a specific teaching method, location and set of facilities, check it out. It's the middle of nowhere though so prep for a journey

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks for your reply. I'm a 2nd go applicant, I know what I want in terms of course ect. They may or will ask at interview why Swansea so want to get a good feel for the uni unfortunately I'm very busy this week and can't make it. Would you mind elaborating - on here or in a private message - on what you liked about the medical school (i.e. the aforementioned ethos, location), your thoughts on their curriculum (spiral-structure, is it more PBL/CBL heavy, dissection or prosection), what the students said the best/worst thing was, what the uni are looking for in a prospective student. Also thoughts on the interview process - tips on the written component and the two separate panel interviews they may have divulged during the day. Any and all help is very much appreciated

ReputationRep:
    Southampton interview for the 9th
    743 ukcat

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Southampton interview on the 11th. I'm predicted a 1st in Biomed, 736 in UKCAT, about 120 hours experience (30 in hospital, 90 caring role in the community)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cuts92)
    Thanks for your reply. I'm a 2nd go applicant, I know what I want in terms of course ect. They may or will ask at interview why Swansea so want to get a good feel for the uni unfortunately I'm very busy this week and can't make it. Would you mind elaborating - on here or in a private message - on what you liked about the medical school (i.e. the aforementioned ethos, location), your thoughts on their curriculum (spiral-structure, is it more PBL/CBL heavy, dissection or prosection), what the students said the best/worst thing was, what the uni are looking for in a prospective student. Also thoughts on the interview process - tips on the written component and the two separate panel interviews they may have divulged during the day. Any and all help is very much appreciated
    Sure

I liked Swansea as a place. Being coastal it's nice.. but I did find the city a bit desolate. Sure my opinion would change if I lived there though but I prefer bigger cities. Also it was miles and miles from home for me (not that this woulda stopped me had there been the only place I got an offer). It's close to hospitals and has diversity of hospitals (most med schools do anyway nowadays). In terms of ethos I just liked how the admin team described it. Loved how they focused on equality amongst all health professionals.. irrespective of whether you're a doctor or another member of the team, you still play a role in healthcare provision. Swansea is CBL and they emphasised that a lot.. but I don't particularly think that was the most important thing I was looking for.. all teaching methods have positives and negatives. Pretty sure it's prosection too.. they have a great anatomy suite which they show you on the visit day. Spiral curriculum- being used by a lot of med schools in reality, you recap stuff over and over again which I personally think is helpful. Most students had nothing really to say that was negative and lots of students had multiple offers who chose Swansea. Positives all varied really, good extracurricular stuff, sports etc. Good opportunities once on course, they have visit days for specialities which you have to fulfil and can chose from depending on your interest. What the uni are looking for in a student- this one would take a simple google really.. lots of med schools look for similar things, as cliche as they are. Swansea do emphasise a need for people to be completely themselves at interview though. The applicant day is great but I'm sure they would send you the PowerPoint slides should you want them and can't attend. I'd recommend getting them. In terms of interview I can't discuss anything related to content obviously. Swansea make you feel super comfortable at interview so as much as possible try not to stress about it because it's pleasant. Tips would be to remember how far you got at getting to this stage and that you're the sort of candidate they want at their med school if they're interviewing you. Also if you achieve gamsat cut off you are capable of passing an interview successfully. If you have any further questions give me a pm so we don't clog up the thread! Haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by g3000pro)
    Does anyone know when we'll be hearing back from Cambridge grad med? They said before Christmas at interview, but I've heard 'two weeks after interview' going around...

Replied below but forgot to quote! Also do we know if it'll be email or letter?

ReputationRep:
    Rejection from Warwick...I had a very low UKCAT so to be honest that was to be expected.

Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.