Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AliceLewis)
    no but you're saying it's unfair that I have more insight and knowledge on what to expect which is reasonable cuz I had already failed! It's ridiculous! So no one should try again to get better at something because it's unfair to people trying for first time? Jeez really
    No...I am saying it is unfair that cambridge didn't bother changing style/questions...I've said again and again..it isn't your fault..it has nothing to do with you, but you did get an advantage from it

Honestly, I am really happy for you, I am not bitter or anything like that :/ My goal isn't getting into Cambridge..it is getting into medicine...and I hope cambridge changes the style/questions next year to make it fair for everyone

P.S. And honestly, I feel pretty bad, this is a really good day for you and I really don't want to ruin that for you or make you feel like you don't deserve it :/ So I am really sorry for my comments, I hope you don't take what i say to the wrong way, please be proud of your achievements!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carbon_)
    No...I am saying it is unfair that cambridge didn't bother changing style/questions...I've said again and again..it isn't your fault..it has nothing to do with you, but you did get an advantage from it

Honestly, I am really happy for you, I am not bitter or anything like that :/ My goal isn't getting into Cambridge..it is getting into medicine...and I hope cambridge changes the style/questions next year to make it fair for everyone
    There are really only so many questions you can ask though. You can also be pretty sure that a handful of questions will come up anyway. So it wouldn't be possible for them to change their format and questions every cycle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mamly042)
    There are really only so many questions you can ask though. You can also be pretty sure that a handful of questions will come up anyway. So it wouldn't be possible for them to change their format and questions every cycle.
    That isn't true..there are hundreds of potential questions..and questions were apparently very similar to last year...which isn't her fault...I wholeheartedly believe she deserved a place...but I would like to see cambridge change questions in future if they know people who have applied before are being interviewed again..that is all

ReputationRep:

P.S. And honestly, I feel pretty bad, this is a really good day for you and I really don't want to ruin that for you or make you feel like you don't deserve it :/ So I am really sorry for my comments, I hope you don't take what i say to the wrong way, please be proud of your achievements!
    no need to feel bad and of course your comments are not enough to ruin such a happy day for me but honestly yes there's the advantage of extra knowledge once you've been through anything in life so yes I had an advantage, but what annoyed me is you saying it's an unfair advantage cuz it's not, I had to learn from my weaknesses and be persistent and get through the rejection and better myself so no it's not unfair. And last year honestly I was devastated after the rejection cuz I had been so close and failed and I was trying to give hope to the other person that posted to say don't give up don't think it's the end just cuz you got rejected. You can get what you deserve by being persistent. And that's why I got annoyed cuz you should praise advantage that comes from effort and pulling yourself up from rejection instead of saying it's unfair. It's fair and justified and ppl should be encouraged to earn it by not giving up. And I wish you to think the same cuz you're definitely a worthy applicant to go this far and you should not try to blame it on unfairness but instead try to do even better cuz you can.

ReputationRep:
    Okay guys, let's cut the negativism at the end of the day everyone who was rejected will have the opportunity to re-apply and sit the interview again, so nobody is at a particular advantage in that sense. I am quite happy to have gotten to the interview stage and am super motivated to expand even more on my experience. At the end of the day we all want the same thing and if we work hard enough, eventually everyone will get there Peace!

ReputationRep:
    no need to feel bad and of course your comments are not enough to ruin such a happy day for me but honestly yes there's the advantage of extra knowledge once you've been through anything in life so yes I had an advantage, but what annoyed me is you saying it's an unfair advantage cuz it's not, I had to learn from my weaknesses and be persistent and get through the rejection and better myself so no it's not unfair. And last year honestly I was devastated after the rejection cuz I had been so close and failed and I was trying to give hope to the other person that posted to say don't give up don't think it's the end just cuz you got rejected. You can get what you deserve by being persistent. And that's why I got annoyed cuz you should praise advantage that comes from effort and pulling yourself up from rejection instead of saying it's unfair. It's fair and justified and ppl should be encouraged to earn it by not giving up. And I wish you to think the same cuz you're definitely a worthy applicant to go this far and you should not try to blame it on unfairness but instead try to do even better cuz you can.
    Ah phew, I am glad. Again, I am not saying you working hard or re-applying is unfair, you didn't do anything wrong at all..you are getting the wrong idea..I am not saying it was your actions that made anything unfair..it was cambridge..they should have changed questions (not made them so similar to last year's questions)..maybe I didn't explain it well, but I promise I am not saying your actions were unfair

(Original post by Hipp0campus)
    Okay guys, let's cut the negativism at the end of the day everyone who was rejected will have the opportunity to re-apply and sit the interview again, so nobody is at a particular advantage in that sense. I am quite happy to have gotten to the interview stage and am super motivated to expand even more on my experience. At the end of the day we all want the same thing and if we work hard enough, eventually everyone will get there Peace!
    I really hope I won't be re-applying next year :P I want to get in this year lol Good luck! I just hope the same questions that came up this year, won't come up or be very similar to next year lol (sorry :P)

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the encouragement, it's very inspiring to know that you have been through the same but managed to get a place I also asked them about feedback, they advised it would be available on request in January, however, I had no ideq the interview was 60% - thought they were equal. Would you mind if I ask what was your academic and work background?

ReputationRep:
    Ah phew, I am glad. Again, I am not saying you working hard or re-applying is unfair, you didn't do anything wrong at all..you are getting the wrong idea..I am not saying it was your actions that made anything unfair..it was cambridge..they should have changed questions (not made them so similar to last year's questions)..maybe I didn't explain it well, but I promise I am not saying your actions were unfair

I really hope I won't be re-applying next year :P I want to get in this year lol Good luck! I just hope the same questions that came up this year, won't come up or be very similar to next year lol (sorry :P)
    I hope they will be similar! will let you know next year :P

ReputationRep:
    That isn't true..there are hundreds of potential questions..and questions were apparently very similar to last year...which isn't her fault...I wholeheartedly believe she deserved a place...but I would like to see cambridge change questions in future if they know people who have applied before are being interviewed again..that is all
    It's not unfair, and you are being bitter. I don't care what disclaimers you stick on the end of your posts about being happy for the person, it's all bull if you keep saying 'but it's unfair'.

Kick yourself if you must but don't kick others. Good luck if you decide to try again next year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I hope they will be similar! will let you know next year :P
    Haha :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Themightylaa)
    It's not unfair, and you are being bitter. I don't care what disclaimers you stick on the end of your posts about being happy for the person, it's all bull if you keep saying 'but it's unfair'.

Kick yourself if you must but don't kick others. Good luck if you decide to try again next year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Okay..call me bitter etc, I know I am not...please can you read rest of the conversation so you can understand what I was trying to say, because obviously you don't...if cambridge reuse or asks very similar questions to previous years..that is being unfair to some applicants, that is my opinion and you are welcome to disagree

Oh hopefully I won't be applying next year..I've said before..my goal isn't getting into cambridge..it is getting into medicine, so hopefully I will get in this year...and they aren't disclaimers..I just don't want her to get the wrong impression..the last thing i want is to make her feel bad about it..looking back, I can see why it upset her, so I am sorry..but I still stand by my view on cambridge's choice of question..I know she didn't do anything wrong

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the encouragement, it's very inspiring to know that you have been through the same but managed to get a place I also asked them about feedback, they advised it would be available on request in January, however, I had no ideq the interview was 60% - thought they were equal. Would you mind if I ask what was your academic and work background?
    sure! I just finished my neuroscience BSc at kings and graduated with a first and because I did not get into medicine last year I am doing an MPhil in genomics medicine in Cambridge this year. As for work experience, I really think this is what got me into medicine, I've done a ridiculous amount, around 10 months shadowing in different specialty wards, I worked year and a half as carer part time while studying , I was health care assistant for NHS for 3 'months full time and I volunteered in 5 different medical charities for over year. Plus was president for society and organised conferences and academic talks etc for public engagement in science. Plus was very lucky to have good referees from doctors I shadowed etc I don't mean to boost honestly I just think all this is what got me the offer they really value it and I really worked hard ... being a carer or healthcare assistant ain't a pretty picture but is all worth it now

ReputationRep:
    sure! I just finished my neuroscience BSc at kings and graduated with a first and because I did not get into medicine last year I am doing an MPhil in genomics medicine in Cambridge this year. As for work experience, I really think this is what got me into medicine, I've done a ridiculous amount, around 10 months shadowing in different specialty wards, I worked year and a half as carer part time while studying , I was health care assistant for NHS for 3 'months full time and I volunteered in 5 different medical charities for over year. Plus was president for society and organised conferences and academic talks etc for public engagement in science. Plus was very lucky to have good referees from doctors I shadowed etc I don't mean to boost honestly I just think all this is what got me the offer they really value it and I really worked hard ... being a carer or healthcare assistant ain't a pretty picture but is all worth it now
    Dang, that is really impressive

ReputationRep:
    Dang, that is really impressive
    thank you 😊 Now I feel sorry I snapped at you so hard... I really hope you do well really... on a funny note, just got flat out rejected from Warwick (without even an interview) on the same day I got offer in cambridge so there you have it, the ironies of life 😂😂😂

ReputationRep:
    thank you 😊 Now I feel sorry I snapped at you so hard... I really hope you do well really... on a funny note, just got flat out rejected from Warwick (without even an interview) on the same day I got offer in cambridge so there you have it, the ironies of life 😂😂😂
    Haha, don't worry, I totally understand now why you reacted the way you did, I am glad you are okay Thank you so much..I really hope so too :P Their loss, but it doesn't matter because you are going to become a doctor either way!

ReputationRep:
    What was your UKCAT? For Cambs I'm guessing you have amazing a levels too! Congrats by the way with Cambs!

Currently riding out the lows of the rollercoaster of emotions that is a medical application, praying 1 out of my last 2 give me a shot and interview me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rndons19)
    What was your UKCAT? For Cambs I'm guessing you have amazing a levels too! Congrats by the way with Cambs!

Currently riding out the lows of the rollercoaster of emotions that is a medical application, praying 1 out of my last 2 give me a shot and interview me
    it's a tough time i know... been there twice lol, well my a levels were A+ chemistry, A+ biology and A math

ReputationRep:
    Just had an email from Kings requesting the date in which I'll complete my masters. It said the course starts in August but I thought it began in September?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rosser1994)
    Just had an email from Kings requesting the date in which I'll complete my masters. It said the course starts in August but I thought it began in September?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The GEM course starts in August, a few weeks earlier than the A100.

ReputationRep:

its true its a bit unfair but such is life. its no worse than public schooled kids being much better prepared for oxbridge interviews, or those attending interview prep courses run by people with inside knowledge/previous experience. i mean, even without the previous feedback, the commitment shown through the 2nd application itself might be enough to give a competitive edge over others. sorry you didnt get into cambridge, im sure youll make use of the experience to ace Soton/Warwick/Newcastle.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.