The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine 2017

Scroll to see replies

Do personal statements have any bearing within the applications? I know certain universities don't have a grade system for personal statements, such as WMS where personal statements have no impact on your application, however for other universities such as St. George and Nottingham, do personal statements have any impact?

Additionally I was just curious to know how to expand my field of 'politics and current news of the NHS', as more and more medical schools tend to focus their interviews in this direction?
Reply 261
Original post by ArabianPhoenix
Do personal statements have any bearing within the applications? I know certain universities don't have a grade system for personal statements, such as WMS where personal statements have no impact on your application, however for other universities such as St. George and Nottingham, do personal statements have any impact?

Additionally I was just curious to know how to expand my field of 'politics and current news of the NHS', as more and more medical schools tend to focus their interviews in this direction?

The Notts admissions tutor told me they don't read it.
Original post by ArabianPhoenix

I think it's the more academic medical schools that put focus onto ones personal statement such as the likes of Oxford, and I don't think Newcastle do, pre-interview at least.
Hi everybody, I've decided to start a thread for GAMSAT 2016: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3698715

x
Original post by anonymouspie227
Hey :h:

So, this is aimed at people who will have graduated by 2017 in their first second third etc degree and want to be studying medicine by September 2017 or 2018 depending on when you decide to apply whether you're doing a 3/4 year course.

My stats are on my profile!

I thought we could encourage each other keep each other aware of news and just be a community for future medics.

If this thread already exists then sorry!!

Hi,
I am graduating in 2017 and hope to gain entry to med school for September 2017, wouldn't mind 2018 as well. this thread is a great idea. definitely need the support and ideas.
Hi all, thought i'd join this thread.

Bit of background: I got average A levels and then went on to get a 2:1 in Medical Biochemistry. Since then I have started a graduate (shortened) nursing course which I will finish in January 2017, and it has really shown me that Medicine is what I want to do, so I plan to apply for 2017 entry. I am currently a HCA on the staff bank which has given me lots of exposure to different healthcare environments.

I'm planning on doing the GAMSAT in March next year, and applying to Warwick, Nottingham, Newcastle and possibly 1 other. Anyone else doing the GAMSAT in March?

One thing I think might hold me back - although my course has given me a lot of insight into the NHS, I wonder whether they will question my motivation since i've taken a very roundabout way to get to Medicine!

Glad there's a thread like this, I look forward to going through this gruelling process with all of you!
Hi everyone,

This seems like a great thread. I'm looking to apply for 2017 entry, ideally on a 4 year course as doing a 5 year course as a first degree is not really something I can afford.

Quick background: good academic record (3 A*s at A-level in bio, chem and maths). I toyed around with applying to medicine at A-level but ultimately decided against it because I loved biology and chem, so I chose to do a BSc in medical biochemistry. 3 years later I graduated with a 1st and I'm currently in a full time job as a trainee healthcare scientist, and I'm also doing a part-time masters degree.

It's a mostly patient facing role - most of my time is spent performing diagnostic tests on patients - and all the patient contact, plus working alongside doctors, has reignited my ambition to be a doctor! So here goes...

I'm still deciding which unis to apply for.
-- Regarding admissions tests, I feel I'm more likely to get a good grade on the GAMSAT rather than UKCAT. I'm a bit concerned about the amount of prep needed though! It's been 2 years since I graduated and 5 years since I finished A-levels. As I'm working full time it could be a struggle to test myself up to A-level standard. Especially in physics, which I haven't done since GCSE.
-- My grades are good and I hope my 2 years (and counting) of full time clinical experience will put me in good stead. However I haven't done any volunteering or anything though... does anyone think I should try and get some care work volunteer experience or something similar? Is there an important distinction between paid clinical work and unpaid volunteering - will unis look more favourably if you're helping without being paid?
Original post by Underthetree
Hi all, thought i'd join this thread.

Bit of background: I got average A levels and then went on to get a 2:1 in Medical Biochemistry. Since then I have started a graduate (shortened) nursing course which I will finish in January 2017, and it has really shown me that Medicine is what I want to do, so I plan to apply for 2017 entry. I am currently a HCA on the staff bank which has given me lots of exposure to different healthcare environments.

I'm planning on doing the GAMSAT in March next year, and applying to Warwick, Nottingham, Newcastle and possibly 1 other. Anyone else doing the GAMSAT in March?

One thing I think might hold me back - although my course has given me a lot of insight into the NHS, I wonder whether they will question my motivation since i've taken a very roundabout way to get to Medicine!

Glad there's a thread like this, I look forward to going through this gruelling process with all of you!

I'm guessing GEM courses inherently attract people who have taken a roundabout way into medicine. Although I suppose for those of us already in a healthcare related career we'll need to explicitly justify why we're changing tack.

This will probably be something very important to talk about in the personal statement - if anyone has any insight into this it would be much appreciated!
Original post by Panacea.
I'm guessing GEM courses inherently attract people who have taken a roundabout way into medicine.

Roundabout....yeah makeup artist checking in :wink: Not even former, I still freelance. Ha.
(edited 8 years ago)
Haha why not eh! If you don't mind me asking what inspired you to pick medicine from such a different background?

It wasn't really a straight jump. It seems like everything over the last 10 years has led to medicine looking like the best career progression for me, with all the experiences accumulating to give me a reasonable shot if I can just sort out my UKCAT and/or GAMSAT scores.

I started sixthform with 5 predicted A's. I got depressed, started hating myself, life, everyone else and ended up with AADbd and a P.Cert LAM in performance studies. Makeup was something I was good at, as were graphic design and photography and people wanted to pay me to do them. Ultimately though I realised I was more a scientist than artist and after I had my daughter I found my drive and ambition and really wanted to use my skills to help make life better for others (cheesy but it makes me feel awesome when I give patients a really good care experience).

I'm a medical photographer/illustrator and healthcare graphic designer at the moment. A Levels didn't really suit me but I found at BSc and MSc level I perform really well and I have the academic ability to study medicine. Now I've had practical exposure to the profession I'm really keen to forge a career as a medic, it will give me all the things I want from a career. If I don't get there it's ok. I love my job and the application process has driven me to really up my game but currently I see it as a stepping stone for my goals.
Original post by Quilverine
It wasn't really a straight jump. It seems like everything over the last 10 years has led to medicine looking like the best career progression for me, with all the experiences accumulating to give me a reasonable shot if I can just sort out my UKCAT and/or GAMSAT scores.

I started sixthform with 5 predicted A's. I got depressed, started hating myself, life, everyone else and ended up with AADbd and a P.Cert LAM in performance studies. Makeup was something I was good at, as were graphic design and photography and people wanted to pay me to do them. Ultimately though I realised I was more a scientist than artist and after I had my daughter I found my drive and ambition and really wanted to use my skills to help make life better for others (cheesy but it makes me feel awesome when I give patients a really good care experience).

I'm a medical photographer/illustrator and healthcare graphic designer at the moment. A Levels didn't really suit me but I found at BSc and MSc level I perform really well and I have the academic ability to study medicine. Now I've had practical exposure to the profession I'm really keen to forge a career as a medic, it will give me all the things I want from a career. If I don't get there it's ok. I love my job and the application process has driven me to really up my game but currently I see it as a stepping stone for my goals.

Ah, a fellow Graphic Designer (somewhat). I'll be applying AGAIN (3rd time) in 2017. I'll have completed my MA so should have some more success on this application.
Original post by Marathi
Ah, a fellow Graphic Designer (somewhat). I'll be applying AGAIN (3rd time) in 2017. I'll have completed my MA so should have some more success on this application.

Ah cool, are you medical or commercial sector? This is my third time. I started an MSc but couldn't afford to finish so left it at a PgCert and I'll do one once I can find a funded option. I think I'll apply every year until I get a place! It's like my hobby now :colondollar: I'm going to try the GAMSAT next year.
Original post by Quilverine
Ah cool, are you medical or commercial sector? This is my third time. I started an MSc but couldn't afford to finish so left it at a PgCert and I'll do one once I can find a funded option. I think I'll apply every year until I get a place! It's like my hobby now :colondollar: I'm going to try the GAMSAT next year.

I work as a HCA now, but originally trained and worked in design for 5 years. I've sat the GAMSAT three times and put together a thread for it for 2015/16 here:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3022525

Currently sat on a low pass (59/58) and hopefully I should receive a merit in my MA and will be able to apply at Swansea next year.

If you want any more gamsat info give me a shout :smile:
Hi everyone,

This seems like a great thread. I'm looking to apply for 2017 entry, ideally on a 4 year course as doing a 5 year course as a first degree is not really something I can afford.

Quick background: good academic record (3 A*s at A-level in bio, chem and maths). I toyed around with applying to medicine at A-level but ultimately decided against it because I loved biology and chem, so I chose to do a BSc in medical biochemistry. 3 years later I graduated with a 1st and I'm currently in a full time job as a trainee healthcare scientist, and I'm also doing a part-time masters degree.

It's a mostly patient facing role - most of my time is spent performing diagnostic tests on patients - and all the patient contact, plus working alongside doctors, has reignited my ambition to be a doctor! So here goes...

I'm still deciding which unis to apply for.
-- Regarding admissions tests, I feel I'm more likely to get a good grade on the GAMSAT rather than UKCAT. I'm a bit concerned about the amount of prep needed though! It's been 2 years since I graduated and 5 years since I finished A-levels. As I'm working full time it could be a struggle to test myself up to A-level standard. Especially in physics, which I haven't done since GCSE.
-- My grades are good and I hope my 2 years (and counting) of full time clinical experience will put me in good stead. However I haven't done any volunteering or anything though... does anyone think I should try and get some care work volunteer experience or something similar? Is there an important distinction between paid clinical work and unpaid volunteering - will unis look more favourably if you're helping without being paid?

What discipline are you a trainee in?
Hi all,
Hope everyone is doing well! I was wondering if I could get some advice on referees. I'm in full time work now and graduated from my MLitt in 2013, and graduated from my undergrad MA in 2012. So by the time it comes to applying it will have been 3 and 4 years since my Uni tutors would have worked with me. However, I know a lot of Universities, especially the 4 I'm looking to apply to (Cambridge, Southampton, Newcastle and Warwick), would want an academic referee (and given that I'm going for Cambridge I'll need a second academic referee too).

What would you guys advise? Does anybody have experience of applying after a few years out of Uni? Who did you use as a referee?

I am being tutored by ICL 5th year medical students at the moment as I'm doing my Chemistry and Biology A-Levels. would asking one of them be any good? They would be able to comment on my academic ability obviously but would the fact they are students undermine their credibility as referees?
I am in full time work at the moment, but it's not healthcare related and I don't want to let them know I'm thinking of leaving to do medicine (long story but trust me it would be a bad move) so can't ask my bosses for a reference, and anyway they couldn't comment on my academic ability.
I'm planning on completing a few weeks of work experience in Feb/March/April onwards, do you think I could ask say the GP I do work experience with to give me a reference? They'd be able to comment on me, but not my academic ability unfortunately.

Sorry I know there are a lot of questions here. It's the only part of the application process I haven't been able to sort out so I'm a little worried about it! Could anybody point me in the direction of any advice they've seen from medical schools regarding who to pick as your referee/s. I can't find it again but I remember reading somewhere, I think it was re. Cambridge applications, that at least one referee should definitely be an academic one.
Original post by H-Specter
What discipline are you a trainee in?

I'm an audiologist. Are you in healthcare science too?
Reply 277
Also applying for 2017 GEM!

Current credentials:
- BSc Sport & Exercise Science (1st class honours)
- MSc Clinical Exercise Science (TBC - Graudate September 2016)
- Work experience in various NHS hospitals working in pulmonary rehabilitation, cardiac rehabilitation, cancer rehabilitation, diabetes, stroke etc.

However, particularly nervous about UKCAT... anyone else worried those stupid shapes are going to be their downfall?!
Reply 278
I'm planning on 2017 GEM. :smile:
I graduate 2016 but would ideally like a year out to bump up my clinical and work experience.

Original post by THW

However, particularly nervous about UKCAT... anyone else worried those stupid shapes are going to be their downfall?!

Yes! Already started debating about investing in UKCAT books and revision aids so I can have a good chance with these pesky shapes!
Reply 279
Original post by Rebecca Jayne
I'm planning on 2017 GEM. :smile:
I graduate 2016 but would ideally like a year out to bump up my clinical and work experience.

Yes! Already started debating about investing in UKCAT books and revision aids so I can have a good chance with these pesky shapes!

I really want this years UKCAT results to be published so I can see how I compare to those that have been successful for interview, which uni's are you applying for?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending