Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Osiris Wintereisse)
    I am from a non science background, so my choices were limited. Just pick the relevant universities based on your specific set of circumstances. Make a spreadsheet and make a list of applicable universities and explore them further and narrow them down to your final four.

This is my first time applying and so far I have three offers and one more interview to go. I actually found the medicine interview process much easier than other interviews I have had for jobs e.g. banking interviews will test your intellectual rigour much more. There's no secret to medical interviews - you just have to be able to back up every one of your answers, and weave in personal examples to avoid making them generic. Just know your stuff and be able to reflect on what you learned during your work experience. There are a lot of good books around as well, and keep up to date with current affairs. I am thinking of writing a full write-up of my strategy for graduate entry medicine when I have the time, and hopefully that will cover interview preparation.
    Please do write it, it would be very helpful and a great read for prospective grad medics.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone here recommend the KAPLAN or The medic Portal UKCAT day courses??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 123ash)
    No.

ReputationRep:
    I did the Kaplan course when I first applied during A levels and again now when I applied for graduate entry and both times going on the course drastically improved my score so I'd recommend it. However, my friend went on the course and on test day she didn't get as high of a score as she was hoping for so maybe it's not for everyone. What I really liked about the course is that it gave you techniques for how to tackle the test. When I was first starting revision I didn't really know how to approach the test and going on the course made me more confident because I knew exactly what strategy to use on test day. Also, they give you access to loads of online practice tests which are really similar to the actual test in my opinion so that helped loads.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nav43)
    I did the Kaplan course when I first applied during A levels and again now when I applied for graduate entry and both times going on the course drastically improved my score so I'd recommend it. However, my friend went on the course and on test day she didn't get as high of a score as she was hoping for so maybe it's not for everyone. What I really liked about the course is that it gave you techniques for how to tackle the test. When I was first starting revision I didn't really know how to approach the test and going on the course made me more confident because I knew exactly what strategy to use on test day. Also, they give you access to loads of online practice tests which are really similar to the actual test in my opinion so that helped loads.
    Thank you. The KAPLAN course is pricey, but my score last year was a very low average, I did not actually apply, I just sat the UKCAT course so when it comes to this year when I want to apply it is not al new to me. I just want to help boost my score somehow. If the money is worth it, then I don't mind, hence its good to hear from someone who actually took the course.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you. The KAPLAN course is pricey, but my score last year was a very low average, I did not actually apply, I just sat the UKCAT course so when it comes to this year when I want to apply it is not al new to me. I just want to help boost my score somehow. If the money is worth it, then I don't mind, hence its good to hear from someone who actually took the course.

The online course is cheaper and worth it in my opinion

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pantego)
    You learn the same things online as you would if you attended the in-classroom course. For me personally, I just learn better physically being in front of a teacher rather than watching seminars online but the online course is definitely a good alternative to save money!

ReputationRep:

You're welcome as I said, my friend didn't score as high as she would have liked but her score did still improve from previously so I definitely think it's worth it and the online course is a good cheaper alternative. Also, remember that the UKCAT isn't the be-all and end-all of your application so if it doesn't go to plan you've still got options. You could always try the GAMSAT or BMAT or potentially look at undergrad courses if you can afford them because they require a much lower UKCAT score than graduate courses do. Good luck with your application!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pantego)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The online KAPLAN course or the TMP??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nav43)
    You're welcome as I said, my friend didn't score as high as she would have liked but her score did still improve from previously so I definitely think it's worth it and the online course is a good cheaper alternative. Also, remember that the UKCAT isn't the be-all and end-all of your application so if it doesn't go to plan you've still got options. You could always try the GAMSAT or BMAT or potentially look at undergrad courses if you can afford them because they require a much lower UKCAT score than graduate courses do. Good luck with your application!
    Thank you so much. I really don't think I could do the GAMSAT or BMAT, I don't have any A-Levels, only an Access course. My options are very limited .

But I am not one to give up easily, if there is a little hope, I will keep trying .

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much. I really don't think I could do the GAMSAT or BMAT, I don't have any A-Levels, only an Access course. My options are very limited .

But I am not one to give up easily, if there is a little hope, I will keep trying .
    To be fair I only did the UKCAT because I was on a placement last summer so I didn't have enough time to revise for the GAMSAT or BMAT so my options were limited too but I ended up with an offer from Warwick as well as an offer from HYMS for undegrad so definitely don't give up, you'll get there in the end!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nav43)
    To be fair I only did the UKCAT because I was on a placement last summer so I didn't have enough time to revise for the GAMSAT or BMAT so my options were limited too but I ended up with an offer from Warwick as well as an offer from HYMS for undegrad so definitely don't give up, you'll get there in the end!
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ajj22)
    I had an interview for medicine at UCL and got an offer (studied biomed got a 2.1), the interview is different for everyone as they don't ask standardised questions for every candidate but from talking to a few people in the interview room and from my experience as well, the interview is mainly based on your BMAT essay. Imperial have a BMAT cut off (you can find that on there website) and UCL release an average of all the BMAT scores received from applicants from each section. However interview is not based solely on your BMAT score, but an accumulation of things e.g. grades, personal statement etc. So if your BMAT score is a little bit lower than UCL's average score, you can still get an interview.

Hope that makes sense
    Yes ajj2 it makes sense but I pmed u to confirm one or two things, congratz on the offer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eilidhchambe)
    Where did your friend get into with 640? big problemo is can't apply UEA due to a levels, and Keele due to A levels would have to do GAMSAT instead of UKCAT

Potentially looking at a score of 39 which isn't very strong. I'm considering Notts actually. Do those all not look at A levels?
    Have you applied this year?

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

May sound like a stupid question, but do graduates get to firm/insure offers, or are they only allowed to accept one (like gap year students, for example)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kamil98)
    Hey,

May sound like a stupid question, but do graduates get to firm/insure offers, or are they only allowed to accept one (like gap year students, for example)?
    We get to firm one and insure one through UCAS

Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.