The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine 2017

Scroll to see replies

Currently feeling very conflicted about applying. I graduate in 2017 and was hoping to get some shadowing work to make sure I have a good idea of what medicine is like.
Hi everyone, I'm currently just about finished the first term of year 1 and was just making some form of timetable as i plan on applying for graduate entry, so far this is my rough draft

Summer 2015 - work experience GPs, doctors, surgeons; hospital based
Autumn/summer 2015-2016 - Work experience care homes etc..
Winter/spring 2017 - Revise and take GAMSAT
Summer 2017 - GapMedic
Summer/Autumn 2017 - UKCAT
Autumn/Winter 2017 - GAMSAT (possible retake)
Autumn 2017 - Apply
Lol:smile:
I know crazy, but is there any advise anyone can give me in terms of my timetable. Is it achievable? Is the content necessary? etc...
Thanks I appreciate it.
P.s Goodluck to everyone who plan on applying next year, the stress you must be under. hope you get the grade and organisation goes smoothly.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by coolheadjody
Hi everyone, I'm currently just about finished the first term of year 1 and was just making some form of timetable as i plan on applying for graduate entry, so far this is my rough draft

Summer 2015 - work experience GPs, doctors, surgeons; hospital based
Autumn/summer 2015-2016 - Work experience care homes etc..
Winter/spring 2017 - Revise and take GAMSAT
Summer 2017 - GapMedic
Summer/Autumn 2017 - UKCAT
Autumn/Winter 2017 - GAMSAT (possible retake)
Autumn 2017 - Apply
Lol:smile:
I know crazy, but is there any advise anyone can give me in terms of my timetable. Is it achievable? Is the content necessary? etc...
Thanks I appreciate it.
P.s Goodluck to everyone who plan on applying next year, the stress you must be under. hope you get the grade and organisation goes smoothly.

Don't do this, just do volunteering for a charity or hospice or hospital, GapMedic cost a lot and is unnecessary, especially when embarking on a course as exorbitantly prices as Graduate-entry medicine.
Save money don't spend!
Everything else look fine though, what degree are you doing?
Reply 283
Original post by THW
I really want this years UKCAT results to be published so I can see how I compare to those that have been successful for interview, which uni's are you applying for?

It would definitely help! It would be interesting to see how this years has compared to last.

Newcastle
Nottingham
Swansea
Warwick

(I think) - Trying to go for the ones that don't focus on GCSE's/ A-Levels to improve my chances a bit! Was toying with the idea of St. George's too. So it's subject to change!

How about yourself? :smile:
Reply 284
Original post by Rebecca Jayne
It would definitely help! It would be interesting to see how this years has compared to last.

Newcastle
Nottingham
Swansea
Warwick

(I think) - Trying to go for the ones that don't focus on GCSE's/ A-Levels to improve my chances a bit! Was toying with the idea of St. George's too. So it's subject to change!

How about yourself? :smile:

Warwick
Kings
Barts
Birmingham
Newcastle

Also going for those without emphasis on A-levels/GCSE's so Birmingham & Barts is a maybe, I was thinking about SGU but thought i'ld have a better chance solely focusing on UKCAT rather than splitting time between that and GAMSAT

You seen the 2016 GEM thread? Seeing people posting up about rejections etc is rattling my nerves!
Reply 285
Original post by THW
Warwick
Kings
Barts
Birmingham
Newcastle

Also going for those without emphasis on A-levels/GCSE's so Birmingham & Barts is a maybe, I was thinking about SGU but thought i'ld have a better chance solely focusing on UKCAT rather than splitting time between that and GAMSAT

You seen the 2016 GEM thread? Seeing people posting up about rejections etc is rattling my nerves!

Ah, smart choices! I would have tried with Imperial but that would add doing the BMAT on there too and I already think that the UKCAT AND GAMSAT is a lot. My preferred is Newcastle so I don't know if it's worth doing the same as you are and siding with the UKCAT and focusing solely on that!

I've had a nosey in there - a lot of it was hearing back about interviews but a few people were saying that they just hadn't heard anything so I'll have to get an update. Nervy and it's not even our turn yet!
Reply 286
Ah, smart choices! I would have tried with Imperial but that would add doing the BMAT on there too and I already think that the UKCAT AND GAMSAT is a lot. My preferred is Newcastle so I don't know if it's worth doing the same as you are and siding with the UKCAT and focusing solely on that!

I've had a nosey in there - a lot of it was hearing back about interviews but a few people were saying that they just hadn't heard anything so I'll have to get an update. Nervy and it's not even our turn yet!

Yeah I didn't think it was worth taking the GAMSAT for just one uni, now I just have to hope they won't snub me for doing a sport science degree....!
Hi,

I'm currently doing my MSc in Biomedicine, having graduated with a 1st in Human Physiology last Summer. Current plan is to finish my MSc and then apply for 2017 entry. Gives me some time to save up some money!

Isn't Imperial a 5 year now meaning the funding situation would be like applying for the A100s?
Reply 289
Original post by THW
Yeah I didn't think it was worth taking the GAMSAT for just one uni, now I just have to hope they won't snub me for doing a sport science degree....!

It's a good point, certainly saves you in terms of money and added stress! I highly doubt it - unless they specifically ask for certain degrees with relevant content (Imperial do provide a checklist of these topics to be confirmed by course leaders/ institutions before interviews), I'm sure you'll be fine as that's the beauty and point of the Graduate entry courses. :smile:

Original post by Quilverine
Isn't Imperial a 5 year now meaning the funding situation would be like applying for the A100s?

I hadn't checked that far, in terms of funding, I'm afraid, as had already written Imperial off because of the BMAT but yes, the course is now 5 years.
Does anyone know if GEM students will be receiving NHS bursary for the 2nd, 3rd and 4th year?
Original post by THW
Warwick
Kings
Barts
Birmingham
Newcastle

Also going for those without emphasis on A-levels/GCSE's so Birmingham & Barts is a maybe, I was thinking about SGU

Kings now only accept lab science, send your transcript now to check your degree has enough 'hard' science. Mine didnt get accepted with anatomy, physiology and imaging physics.
Barts will want Chemistry AS or A level at A or B if your degree didn't have chemistry content.
Original post by KoalaBoar
Does anyone know if GEM students will be receiving NHS bursary for the 2nd, 3rd and 4th year?

On the current situation, yes we do.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Kings now only accept lab science, send your transcript now to check your degree has enough 'hard' science. Mine didnt get accepted with anatomy, physiology and imaging physics.
Barts will want Chemistry AS or A level at A or B if your degree didn't have chemistry content.

I'm guessing Biomedical Science is classed as a lab science and has sufficient 'hard science' content?
Original post by DavidYorkshireFTW
I'm guessing Biomedical Science is classed as a lab science and has sufficient 'hard science' content?

I think it's one they'd take, no harm sending over a transcript before applying though just to make sure.
I think it's one they'd take, no harm sending over a transcript before applying though just to make sure.

To be honest, i'm pretty sure every university that offers Graduate Entry Medicine accept biomedical science, even without chemistry a level because the degree has several module where A-level chemistry is required.
To be honest, i'm pretty sure every university that offers Graduate Entry Medicine accept biomedical science, even without chemistry a level because the degree has several module where A-level chemistry is required.

Indeed, the only universities that accept non-science degrees are those that use GAMSAT to screen like Nottingham, Swansea and SGUL or Warwick and Newcastle with the UKCAT. Bristol and Oxford are super specific about their preferred degrees but biomed is a pretty safe option. I thought the person I was replying to had sports science though which might not be right for some programmes.
Indeed, the only universities that accept non-science degrees are those that use GAMSAT to screen like Nottingham, Swansea and SGUL or Warwick and Newcastle with the UKCAT. Bristol and Oxford are super specific about their preferred degrees but biomed is a pretty safe option. I thought the person I was replying to had sports science though which might not be right for some programmes.

You're right, i'm pretty sure that sports science does not have sufficient chemistry content although as you said previously I may be wrong.
Biomedical Science is also accepted by Oxford and Bristol like you say and they actually 'say' they don't require you to have chemistry as an A-level qualification, although I am sure that the competitive nature of both the universities mean that in reality they definitely take preference over those students who have achieved A/A* in the A-level (or two science A levels). That is the reason why I am actually trying to take A level chemistry in summer, although it's not a necessity I believe it would definitely make my application more competitive.
You're right, i'm pretty sure that sports science does not have sufficient chemistry content although as you said previously I may be wrong.
Biomedical Science is also accepted by Oxford and Bristol like you say and they actually 'say' they don't require you to have chemistry as an A-level qualification, although I am sure that the competitive nature of both the universities mean that in reality they definitely take preference over those students who have achieved A/A* in the A-level (or two science A levels). That is the reason why I am actually trying to take A level chemistry in summer, although it's not a necessity I believe it would definitely make my application more competitive.

It would also open up Cambridge.
It would also open up Cambridge.

True, but I'm haven't learnt maths to a particularly high level therefore would need to learn both maths and physics for the BMAT to apply there, although I would love to study graduate-entry medicine at Oxbridge.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending