Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    I am currently studying chemistry (MChem) at Cardiff University, with a year abroad in Germany which I'm doing now. I am on course right now for a 2:1, but I am hoping to get that up a 1st. I'm thinking of applying to Kings, Warwick, Southampton and either Swansea or St George's or maybe Newcastle (i'm not too sure at all about the last one!).

I'm wondering if anyone has got any advice, or if you're in the same boat as me.

Really worried about the application!!!! (Although i'm sure everyone is worried a little bit at least)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anonymouspie227)
    Hey

So, this is aimed at people who will have graduated by 2017 in their first second third etc degree and want to be studying medicine by September 2017 or 2018 depending on when you decide to apply whether you're doing a 3/4 year course.

My stats are on my profile!

I thought we could encourage each other keep each other aware of news and just be a community for future medics.

If this thread already exists then sorry!!
    Hey, Im aiming for the September 2017. Confused between Warwick and Nottingham.

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone!
    I'm hoping to apply in 2017 for GEM at Kings, Warwick, Barts and Southampton. I'm currently in my second year studying BSc Biochemistry at Reading and on track for a first.
    I have a massive amount of experience with the NHS both personal and shadowing, and I'm also a carer for my younger sister who has multiple disabilities! I've worked out in South Africa with patients with HIV/AIDS which was a real eye-opener!
    So so nervous for the UKCAT though. Can anyone recommend good resources for practising?
    So glad there's a thread for this, will be so good to speak to people in the same boat as me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bthehobbit)
    Hi everyone!
    I'm hoping to apply in 2017 for GEM at Kings, Warwick, Barts and Southampton. I'm currently in my second year studying BSc Biochemistry at Reading and on track for a first.
    I have a massive amount of experience with the NHS both personal and shadowing, and I'm also a carer for my younger sister who has multiple disabilities! I've worked out in South Africa with patients with HIV/AIDS which was a real eye-opener!
    So so nervous for the UKCAT though. Can anyone recommend good resources for practising?
    So glad there's a thread for this, will be so good to speak to people in the same boat as me!
    How did you get this opportunity?

ReputationRep:
    I volunteered with a charity called African Impact in 2014. Im not sure if they still run the programme I worked on now, but I do know that they have similar ones!
    (Original post by DavidYorkshireFTW)

ReputationRep:
    there are many organisations like these, where you can volunteer, such as international citizen service, (I'm registered here), but they are many other too.

ReputationRep:
    Wow, you have some great experience! I myself am a mature student with some good experience, hoping to start in Sept 2017. I think it's more about showing what you've learnt and how you've developed from an experience whatever that maybe.

Confused between Warwick and Nottingham, as both require different entry exams. My heart is swaying towards Warwick.

Have you started your entry exam revision??

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    I'm hoping to apply for GEM starting 2017 also. I'm happy to apply for the odd 5 year course but funding could be an issue.
    The only science A level I have is Biology, so I am currently home teaching myself a Chemistry A level in my spare time to open more doors for unis... I also have a 2:1 in Psychology and a distinction in a Psych masters.
    I have volunteered on the wards of a local hospice for 7 years until recently, and I currently volunteer weekly for MIND with service users with mental health problems. I work in Psych services within the NHS...
    I definitely plan to do the UKCAT, but I don't know if I have left it too late to begin revising of the GAMSAT in September. I wasn't going to apply this year after having been rejected the last two times, butttt I just can't seem to give up because it's what I want to do .
    Is there anything anyone could recommend I do now to strengthen my application other than swat up on the entrance exams?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 123ash)
    Wow, you have some great experience! I myself am a mature student with some good experience, hoping to start in Sept 2017. I think it's more about showing what you've learnt and how you've developed from an experience whatever that maybe.

Confused between Warwick and Nottingham, as both require different entry exams. My heart is swaying towards Warwick.

Have you started your entry exam revision??

Good luck!
    I'm also a mature student! I had to take a few years out due to medical circumstances which, as horrible as they were, have given me a fantastic insight into the different sectors of healthcare! Warwick looks so lovely, will you be going to an open day in the summer? I do a bit each week for UKCAT revision, it's only a couple of hours a week but it's been really helping!

ReputationRep:
    Hey :-)

I'm in my second year at Northampton doing Human Bioscience. Im hoping to apply for 2017 GEM, when will I have to sit the UKCAT/GAMSAT?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bthehobbit)
    I'm also a mature student! I had to take a few years out due to medical circumstances which, as horrible as they were, have given me a fantastic insight into the different sectors of healthcare! Warwick looks so lovely, will you be going to an open day in the summer? I do a bit each week for UKCAT revision, it's only a couple of hours a week but it's been really helping!
    Hey, Hope all is well now health-wise?
    I won't tell you how old i am, haha. No one believes me, haha.

Yes i have applied for the April open day at Warwick, have you?. I need to start prepping for UKCAT. Do you advise any books or any specific material?

You been to Warwick Med school?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moonziggy)
    Hey :-)

I'm in my second year at Northampton doing Human Bioscience. Im hoping to apply for 2017 GEM, when will I have to sit the UKCAT/GAMSAT?
    UKCAT in summer/Autumn 2016. Deadline is in October but best to do it earlier. Price increases in September and places in popular centres can book up quickly. GAMSAT is usually in September (single day), need to register beforehand. UKCAT and GAMSAT have websites with all this info. I would recommend having a look at uni choices to decide whether GAMSAT is necessary and plan how much time you will need to study for it.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eeb90)
    I'm hoping to apply for GEM starting 2017 also. I'm happy to apply for the odd 5 year course but funding could be an issue.
    The only science A level I have is Biology, so I am currently home teaching myself a Chemistry A level in my spare time to open more doors for unis... I also have a 2:1 in Psychology and a distinction in a Psych masters.
    I have volunteered on the wards of a local hospice for 7 years until recently, and I currently volunteer weekly for MIND with service users with mental health problems. I work in Psych services within the NHS...
    I definitely plan to do the UKCAT, but I don't know if I have left it too late to begin revising of the GAMSAT in September. I wasn't going to apply this year after having been rejected the last two times, butttt I just can't seem to give up because it's what I want to do .
    Is there anything anyone could recommend I do now to strengthen my application other than swat up on the entrance exams?
    I would say it isnt too late especially if you are studying A level chemistry stuff anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone

I'm joining this thread- hoping to apply for GEM entry 2017. Time has literally whizzed by it's insane!

Everyone seems to have very interesting backgrounds and fab work exp!

A bit about me: I'm a 2nd year Orthoptics student (classed as a health sciences degree)
    I chose not to apply for medicine when leaving school as I wasn't able to take out the 9k tuition fee loan as there
    was a requirement to pay back interest so I opted for an NHS funded course.
    I still worked towards getting good grades nevertheless A*A*Abc in Chem, Maths, Bio, Arabic and general studies (Both AS)

It's amazing how everyone already knows where they are applying
    So far I've decided on Cambridge and Warwick. Would have liked to apply for Bham but there are specific degree
    requirements *sigh*

work exp wise I've been volunteering at the local hospice for 1 year and a half and have completed 8 weeks of work placement in different settings as part of my degree.

I'm feeling very nervous about the whole process and it hasn't even begun!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hdizzle)
    I chose not to apply for medicine when leaving school as I wasn't able to take out the 9k tuition fee loan as there
    was a requirement to pay back interest so I opted for an NHS funded course.
    Not to burst your bubble, but you do know that GEM isn't fully funded by he NHS, right? You will still need to take out a loan for £5.5k per year for fees I'm afraid unless you have other funding sorted, anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JenniB22)
    Not to burst your bubble, but you do know that GEM isn't fully funded by he NHS, right? You will still need to take out a loan for £5.5k per year for fees I'm afraid unless you have other funding sorted, anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    If they are starting in Sep 2017 there will be no nhs bursary then and they will have to take out a full loan of 9k.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    AND you need £3500 upfront in the first year with no loan or bursary available to cover that.

The NHS currently takes care of £3.5k in years 2-4 and as Jenni said you are able to take out a student loan (that accrues interest like all the others) for £5.5 in years 1-4.

HOWEVER, things could be different for 2017 or 2018 onwards. The government already announced that bursaries won't be available for allied health profession degrees in the future, students will get a loan that accrues interest and will need repaying. This doesn't bode particularly well for any degree that formerly had NHS funding.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hi ^_^

don't worry about it- I was aware of this fact previously

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quilverine)
    AND you need £3500 upfront in the first year with no loan or bursary available to cover that.

The NHS currently takes care of £3.5k in years 2-4 and as Jenni said you are able to take out a student loan (that accrues interest like all the others) for £5.5 in years 1-4.

HOWEVER, things could be different for 2017 or 2018 onwards. The government already announced that bursaries won't be available for allied health profession degrees in the future, students will get a loan that accrues interest and will need repaying. This doesn't bode particularly well for any degree that formerly had NHS funding.
    By 2017 they are looking to provide an alternative form of student finance for those who are unable to deal with interest for religious reasons. I did the research previously with regards to finance as that was the main obstacle before.

Thanks for breaking it down further. When I mentioned NHS funded course I was referring to the current degree I'm studying where my fees are paid for and I'm given a monthly bursary.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hdizzle)
    By 2017 they are looking to provide an alternative form of student finance for those who are unable to deal with interest for religious reasons. I did the research previously with regards to finance as that was the main obstacle before.

Thanks for breaking it down further. When I mentioned NHS funded course I was referring to the current degree I'm studying where my fees are paid for and I'm given a monthly bursary.
    Really? i havent read anywhere they were introducing that by 2017.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.