Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys - for 2017 entry, as I understand you need to take the GAMSAT like 2 years before? :/ As in, if I took the GAMSAT this year, I would take it this September and wouldn't have my results by the UCAS deadline in October. And so could not apply for any uni's requiring the GAMSAT for 2017 entry...right???

Also, my desire to study medicine is something I've only realised I want to do very recently...and as I realised too late, I'm now pretty much in exam season at uni (LSE), and I simply don't have the time to start volunteering work now. I was planning to do intensive volunteer work through June/July/August, getting as much as I possibly can in, working part/full time while studying for the UKCAT. Do you think I will be at a disadvantage as all my relevant healthcare experience will be concentrated within one summer? Obviously I have other experience, I'm just talking about healthcare related experience here

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jazzie14)
    Hi guys - for 2017 entry, as I understand you need to take the GAMSAT like 2 years before? :/ As in, if I took the GAMSAT this year, I would take it this September and wouldn't have my results by the UCAS deadline in October. And so could not apply for any uni's requiring the GAMSAT for 2017 entry...right???

Also, my desire to study medicine is something I've only realised I want to do very recently...and as I realised too late, I'm now pretty much in exam season at uni (LSE), and I simply don't have the time to start volunteering work now. I was planning to do intensive volunteer work through June/July/August, getting as much as I possibly can in, working part/full time while studying for the UKCAT. Do you think I will be at a disadvantage as all my relevant healthcare experience will be concentrated within one summer? Obviously I have other experience, I'm just talking about healthcare related experience here
    If you do the GAMSAT this October you will be able to apply for 2017 entry, you just won't know your results. If you apply to only GAMSAT uni's and do poorly in the exam, then that probably won't be very good.

It's not so much the time period of when you do the work experience, it's more if you are able to get any. Warwick and Notts have a more strict criteria for the work experience requirements. As long as you are able to get some and include it in your application it doesn't really matter when you do it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Absorbaloff)
    If you do the GAMSAT this October you will be able to apply for 2017 entry, you just won't know your results. If you apply to only GAMSAT uni's and do poorly in the exam, then that probably won't be very good.

It's not so much the time period of when you do the work experience, it's more if you are able to get any. Warwick and Notts have a more strict criteria for the work experience requirements. As long as you are able to get some and include it in your application it doesn't really matter when you do it.
    Oh okay, thanks for the reply! I think I'll stick to just applying for UKCAT courses this year, but take the GAMSAT anyway just in case things go wrong and I need to reapply next year.

Do you by any chance know what these work requirements are? I don't know if I'm just not looking in the right place but I haven't been able to find much info. And I live in london, so I am hoping finding volunteer opportunities won't be a problem

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Oh okay, thanks for the reply! I think I'll stick to just applying for UKCAT courses this year, but take the GAMSAT anyway just in case things go wrong and I need to reapply next year.

Do you by any chance know what these work requirements are? I don't know if I'm just not looking in the right place but I haven't been able to find much info. And I live in london, so I am hoping finding volunteer opportunities won't be a problem

Posted from TSR Mobile
    For Warwick it's about 70 hours in the past two years in a patient contact environment. Not sure about Nott's, all I know is they look up your work experience references.

ReputationRep:
    For Warwick it's about 70 hours in the past two years in a patient contact environment. Not sure about Nott's, all I know is they look up your work experience references.
    Thanks! That should be alright then, I feel pretty confident I can get down 70 hours in 2/3 months . Just want all my exams to be over so I can start volunteering/preparing already!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    guys i just read on warwick's website: "The lowest UKCAT score for an applicant with an undergraduate degree who was invited to selection centre was 2,800 for 2015 entry; 2,940 for 2014 entry and 2,810 for 2013." I'm so confused, I thought the max possible total score was 2,700 e.g. 900x3?

ReputationRep:
    guys i just read on warwick's website: "The lowest UKCAT score for an applicant with an undergraduate degree who was invited to selection centre was 2,800 for 2015 entry; 2,940 for 2014 entry and 2,810 for 2013." I'm so confused, I thought the max possible total score was 2,700 e.g. 900x3?
    Up until this year they've used four sections with max score 900 in each (verbal reasoning, quantitative analysis, abstract reasoning and decision analysis). I sat the UKCAT for 2016 entry so I have no idea what changes they've made for 2017 entry but those scores were based on a max score of 3600 .

ReputationRep:
    You will still get a score for the new section, it just won't be used to screen applicants. They fiddled around with format in 2013 when the SJT was new, you still got a score but unis couldn't use it for ranking. Now that it's established it can be used. There have been problems with DA, the 2014 entry test got ridiculously inflated DA scores. which put the cut-off much higher than usual. I hope the new section isn't horrible. Good luck with it and your application.

ReputationRep:
    What materials is everyone using to practise for the UKCAT? Would love to get in to Warwick and so a good score is the best hope for interview! I have the 600Q book but know it's a little dated now, and I probably know it by heart from last year! I have ordered the newer version but it's only released in May unfortunately. I have been considering the UKCAT weekend courses, but any other recommendations would be appreciated

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eeb90)
    What materials is everyone using to practise for the UKCAT? Would love to get in to Warwick and so a good score is the best hope for interview! I have the 600Q book but know it's a little dated now, and I probably know it by heart from last year! I have ordered the newer version but it's only released in May unfortunately. I have been considering the UKCAT weekend courses, but any other recommendations would be appreciated
    Medify, Score Higher on the UKCAT and Mastering the UKCAT are all good

ReputationRep:
    Do you know if the references need to be from doctors, or would be more favourably looked upon if from actual doctors? Or does it not matter so much as long as it backs up your experience you have claimed to have. My references for the two wards I've been volunteering on since 2014 are more likely to be from a Ward matron and another from the ward housekeeper (she was a ward veteran and practically managed the nurses). Do you reckon this would negatively impact me in anyway? May seem silly, but every single inch counts in this GEM race to not mess up.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Themightylaa)
    Do you know if the references need to be from doctors, or would be more favourably looked upon if from actual doctors? Or does it not matter so much as long as it backs up your experience you have claimed to have. My references for the two wards I've been volunteering on since 2014 are more likely to be from a Ward matron and another from the ward housekeeper (she was a ward veteran and practically managed the nurses). Do you reckon this would negatively impact me in anyway? May seem silly, but every single inch counts in this GEM race to not mess up.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    All they want is confirmation of hours. Not sure about Notts though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Themightylaa)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    None of my references for Notts were from doctors. I think they just want a named contact to confirm what you've said you've done.

ReputationRep:
    So long as the reference confirms what it needs to and that the person writing it provides contact details I don't think it matters if the referee is a doc or not. Some of mine were non clinical managers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quilverine)
    You will still get a score for the new section, it just won't be used to screen applicants. They fiddled around with format in 2013 when the SJT was new, you still got a score but unis couldn't use it for ranking. Now that it's established it can be used. There have been problems with DA, the 2014 entry test got ridiculously inflated DA scores. which put the cut-off much higher than usual. I hope the new section isn't horrible. Good luck with it and your application.
    Wait, so we take the SJT and get a score from it, but it won't be used to screen? What does that mean, that they take that score out when evaluating UKCAT scores? (Sorry, still pretty new to this). And thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Wait, so we take the SJT and get a score from it, but it won't be used to screen? What does that mean, that they take that score out when evaluating UKCAT scores? (Sorry, still pretty new to this). And thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The SJT just tests how appropriate you are. If you score a band 1 then you gave a professional set of responses. If you get a 4 (lowest) it means you weren't able to directly identify appropriate actions. The most "appropriate" action will be the best option considering the law, ethics and respect for professional/academic boundaries. Some unis won't interview band 4, others ignore it completely.

When they introduce a new test segment you can't be judged on it. So you might see a score but it won't go to the unis. They will probably get the cumulative score out of 2700 (would normally be out of 3600) plus your SJT band. Averaging around 700 is very strong for A100 but it's risky for grads, 740 average is a fairly safe A101 score, especially with a 1st/MSc/PhD but it is cohort dependant. Aim for being in the top 10%!

ReputationRep:
    Okay so here goes..I'm applying for GEM (Graduate entry) this year. I applied last year, during the final year of my degree and I ended up with 3 interviews at Liverpool, St George's and Swansea. Unfortunately, they all came in the week following a family bereavement.. so fair to say I didn't perform as well as I could have.I've taken this year out to gain some further experience. I've used my degree (which i'll get onto soon) to get a job as a Microbiology Lab Technician. I'm looking to train as a HCA over the coming months, to hopefully get in about 14 days (Over the weekends) before interviews.

My degree is a bachelors in Biomedical Science (Hons) , where I achieved a 2:1, I graduated in September 2015.

In terms of experience this is what I have:
    10 weeks in the lung function clinic at the QE
    Care home experience
    A 2 week medical brigade in Ghana

That's it really..

A-Level: Chemistry A, Biology B, Mathematics A, Phsyics b, I.T b
    GCSE: 4 A*s, 7 As, 3 Bs.

I did well during the GAMSAT, not so well during the UKCAT.

Anyone with any advice for anything else I could do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rosser1994)
    Okay so here goes..I'm applying for GEM (Graduate entry) this year. I applied last year, during the final year of my degree and I ended up with 3 interviews at Liverpool, St George's and Swansea. Unfortunately, they all came in the week following a family bereavement.. so fair to say I didn't perform as well as I could have.I've taken this year out to gain some further experience. I've used my degree (which i'll get onto soon) to get a job as a Microbiology Lab Technician. I'm looking to train as a HCA over the coming months, to hopefully get in about 14 days (Over the weekends) before interviews.

My degree is a bachelors in Biomedical Science (Hons) , where I achieved a 2:1, I graduated in September 2015.

Care home experience

That's it really..

I think you're in good shape! The only thing you need to do is ace your interviews, you'll have lots of experiences from work you can draw from. HCA will allow you to see more than you would in the lab I imagine but it's all good experience. Best of luck with your application and I'm sorry about your bereavement.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rosser1994)

Care home experience

That's it really..

hi rosser1994 your in a good shape and hopefully you get in, however i had a question what material did you use to prepare for the gamsat? thankyou

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone! I'm applying this October I'm currently doing a degree in Medical Microbiology and I am predicted a first. I've worked for the NHS as paediatric clerk for nearly a year, and in a couple of weeks I start training to be a HCA. I've also done work experience in paediatrics with a consultant, and I've got GP work experience in summer. Fingers crossed i'm a strong applicant but i'm really worried about my UKCAT. Think the plan is to do it in July, and if i get a bad score to book on to do the GAMSAT. Southampton is probably my top UKCAT choice, then George's if i end up doing the gamsat

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.