The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine 2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Quilverine
They won't mind :smile: hope you feel better soon.
If you drop them an email to say you can't attend I think they would appreciate it, as would people hoping for a last minute place to pop up. There is another one in the summer, see if they can book you in for that x

Thanks :smile: Yeah i've emailed them so I hope someone else can attend in my place!
Reply 501
Original post by Underthetree
I'm registered to attend Warwicks open day tomorrow but I've been ill all weekend and don't think I can manage the long drive id have to do tonight/in the morning :frown: hopefully it won't be held against me, just my luck to be ill when I was really looking forward to going.

Im actually not looking forward to the long drive there, hopefully leaving early hours of morning will help me avoid traffic.

Hope you get well soon :-)
I don't know anyone going - do any of you guys fancy meeting when we're there 😂😁

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Thomas96
I don't know anyone going - do any of you guys fancy meeting when we're there 😂😁

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm happy to, be good to meet people there, I'll be wearing a grey sweat shirt and black Levi's!
Haaa I have a red shirt on and have really curly hair

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi guys, I am a first time applicant hopefully applying for 2017 or '18 entry. I don't have tons of work experience, however, I have recently worked as a trainee Biomedical Scientist in Harmatology at a local hospital. During this time I have worked alongside numerous consultants and junior doctors, especially the Haematology medical team. I have watched and taken part in bone marrow aspiration collection and lumbar punctures for clinical testing as part of the Haematology service. I have had a lot of patient contact as I am competent in capillary phlebotomy and have performed this technique on a range of children from babies to 16 year olds. These children range in terms of illness from those severely ill on intensive care to those on a routine surgical ward. Would medical schools see this as good experience to have when applying? I am currently trying to seek direct consultant shadowing which, in all honesty, is not going too well so far.
Sounds like great experience. Remember that they want to know what you learnt from it rather than what you did. Get whatever experience you can over the summer and do well in entrance exams this summer if you're think of applying for 2017 entrance.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 507
Haaa I have a red shirt on and have really curly hair

Posted from TSR Mobile

How was your day? I thought it was very interesting, but I cant believe they don't even want a personal statement. So they acce[t students to be the satire Doctors without knowing much about them? A little scary. How much can you recognise someone in a few 8min interviews.

What did you think?
Original post by 123ash
How was your day? I thought it was very interesting, but I cant believe they don't even want a personal statement. So they acce[t students to be the satire Doctors without knowing much about them? A little scary. How much can you recognise someone in a few 8min interviews.

What did you think?

Yeah it was good, did you go? Yeah I was really surprised about how the personal statement not being included in the application process, and 8 minutes interviews is nothing. :P
Yeah it was good, did you go? Yeah I was really surprised about how the personal statement not being included in the application process, and 8 minutes interviews is nothing. :P

What do you both mean? They don't read the PS? So the entrance to The interviews must solely be based on our UKCAT scores I'm guessing.
Original post by Rosser1994
What do you both mean? They don't read the PS? So the entrance to The interviews must solely be based on our UKCAT scores I'm guessing.

Yeah, the admissions tutors did a talk at the open day and the personal statement forms no part AT ALL in the Warwick application process. Past academic achievement and UKCAT score, and then work experience are used to decide which candidates to invite to interview.
Original post by 123ash

What did you think?

8 minutes interviews is nothing. :P

6 interviews though, some of which have more than one person in the room so maybe 8-10 individual perspectives on you.

Plus your reference.

Plus the letters of recommendation/confirmation from all of your work/shadowing/voluntary experiences.

Seems pretty comprehensive to me. PS shows nothing that can't be covered across interviews stations- where there is no chance of you having someone edit your response and you can cover way more ground in 48 minutes in person.

It has changed recently though because I remember the first time I applied they were super specific about what should be in the PS.
Hey, I'm studying BSc Animal Behaviour at the University of Exeter, I'm massively influence with disease and am graduating next year! I am going to apply for 2017 so I can do a master in Biomed / Immunology to help my application and gain some extra funding for the fees as my previous academia is not that strong! I have worked in care previously and about to start two jobs as a bank HCA in a mental health unit and a general hospital with several weeks experience shadowing consultants at my local hospital! I have experience in education, social work, volunteering, events management, conservation (basically I have done everything except working behind a bar!!) I absolutely love immunology and infectious disease (doesn't sound weird on a medicine thread!) and am thinking of applying to Liverpool, Manchester, Barts Medical School (Queen Mary's) and King George's (I am thinking Warwick and Southampton if having to go through clearing)! I am still wondering for Medicine Doctor or do a doctorate in Public Health, although I would love to study the broadness of medicine as a whole and delve into it (my current distraction from revision of rubbish second year modules yet also relevant to said modules! Being Dyslexic, I will be studying UKCATSEN due to being dyslexic next year so will be studying over the summer and saving for the test and travel to interviews etc!
Original post by Minion#1
... if having to go through clearing)!...

Medicine isn't available through clearing, you just have to make your 4 choices wisely. I think that the Public Health courses tend to be through direct application as with many other Masters/PhD programmes so you can make as many direct applications as you have the time and energy for. You can also make those applications alongside applying to medicine through UCAS.
Medicine isn't available through clearing, you just have to make your 4 choices wisely. I think that the Public Health courses tend to be through direct application as with many other Masters/PhD programmes so you can make as many direct applications as you have the time and energy for. You can also make those applications alongside applying to medicine through UCAS.

Aah! I didn't know that!! The main four at still my top four due to partners job and relative closeness to family!! I will be applying for PhD whilst applying for Medicine to make sure I get something :smile:
I might apply for Warwick 2017 entry. I don't have science A levels, I did Law as my first degree, and I'm currently doing Medical Ethics and Law masters at KCL. I've worked in the NHS for almost 2 years but not as an HCA or anything like that so would need to get experience, luckily due to the nature of my work I can get that pretty easily.

Only going to apply if I do ok on the UKCAT though. Was debating the GAMSAT as well but I don't fancy paying £200. I haven't done maths or science since GCSE so I'm not sure I would do that well on either test anyway but will give UKCAT a go!
Reply 516

yes I did go. There was a lot of people! And it's definitely tough competition not that i ever doubted medicine wouldn't be.

I know it's true that 6x interview 8mins each is a good time to get to tell the character, personality of someone. However, each interview is based on the 6 principles which you get two mins to read. So its really not about you as an individual. If one gets a high mark in UKCAT and then does great in the interview, because they are good at revising. I don't think that means they will be a good DOCTOR. There is so much more required than having the ability to revise.

I have always done great at exams, because I enjoy revising, however, interviews make me nervous, the thought of only having 8mins, is complete pressure. At least if they read a PS, they'd have some background knowledge of who they will be training for the next 4 years to become a Dr.
Hey Guys,
First of all I discovered this thread recently and its quite impressive how everyone is helping each other (y). Secondly, I want to apply for 2017 medicine entry as well. I don't really mind if it's a graduate entry or a normal five year course. I am expecting a 2:1 in my genetics degree and plus I have to do my ukcat this summers. I would want to choose my university choices realistically, and not apply for any high requirement universities as my main aim is to just get in. I don't really have any preference for city or anything else. What do you guys suggest my university choices should be?
Thank you
Reply 518
6 interviews though, some of which have more than one person in the room so maybe 8-10 individual perspectives on you.

Plus your reference.

Plus the letters of recommendation/confirmation from all of your work/shadowing/voluntary experiences.

Seems pretty comprehensive to me. PS shows nothing that can't be covered across interviews stations- where there is no chance of you having someone edit your response and you can cover way more ground in 48 minutes in person.

It has changed recently though because I remember the first time I applied they were super specific about what should be in the PS.

When you applied the 1st time round, was it the 8min interviews x6?
Did you feel you got to say everything you wanted? The thought of it makes me anxious.

What do you mean by, references and letters of recommendations? I thought it was two refs only, academic and one work experience related, can you provide more? I can see how that can help, if you have more than one letter of recommendation (so long they read them), then you get to know the person a little.

I just feel, that the main focus is on UKCAT and Academic degree achievement, I should be happy because academic is my string side, however, when it comes to having a career as a Dr, I feel there is so much more.
Original post by 123ash
yes I did go. There was a lot of people! And it's definitely tough competition not that i ever doubted medicine wouldn't be.

I know it's true that 6x interview 8mins each is a good time to get to tell the character, personality of someone. However, each interview is based on the 6 principles which you get two mins to read. So its really not about you as an individual. If one gets a high mark in UKCAT and then does great in the interview, because they are good at revising. I don't think that means they will be a good DOCTOR. There is so much more required than having the ability to revise.

I have always done great at exams, because I enjoy revising, however, interviews make me nervous, the thought of only having 8mins, is complete pressure. At least if they read a PS, they'd have some background knowledge of who they will be training for the next 4 years to become a Dr.

I did the interviews for 2016 entry and start in September and I think that the interviews are about you as an individual. What they mean by principles is skills that they expect you to already have in order to make a good Doctor and they assess these throughout the interviews e.g. teamwork and communication skills. The two minutes are more a chance for you to collect yourself and think about points to mention when they ask you about these skills, but they're all still about getting to know you as a person. I wasn't asked anything that would have required revision or outside knowledge, I just had to demonstrate that I had these abilities through how I spoke to people and the skills I'd gained from my work experience.

I'm an English graduate so I would have loved it if they focussed on the personal statement because I'm very good at writing, but I still think that interviews are a better way to assess you as a person and as a Doctor because, for one, you can say a lot more than 4000 characters. Your personal statement is often about what you think they want to see and people are told to use a certain structure, form, language etc... by the end it's not really about you as a person, just some of the things you've done and a few of the things you've learnt (which at Warwick forms a large part of the interview anyway). Don't worry about being nervous, everyone is and I certainly was, but Warwick do a very good job at putting you at ease and I actually quite enjoyed the process in the end :smile:.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending