Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know much about Birmingham GEM? I studied BMedSci there and ended up with a 2:1, I know they want a first but I wonder if they'll supplement a first for a masters.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rosser1994)
    Does anyone know much about Birmingham GEM? I studied BMedSci there and ended up with a 2:1, I know they want a first but I wonder if they'll supplement a first for a masters.
    Pretty sure Bristol and Birmingham have the strictest grad med entry requirements. Tbh you will really strugge getting in B'ham with anything other than a first, there's just so much competition that they can afford to reject anyone without a 1.1 :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DavidYorkshireFTW)
    Pretty sure Bristol and Birmingham have the strictest grad med entry requirements. Tbh you will really strugge getting in B'ham with anything other than a first, there's just so much competition that they can afford to reject anyone without a 1.1 :/
    Bristol won't be running an accelerated programme again. Barts also didn't interview anyone predicted less than a first but I'm fairly certain they offered conditionals on a 2:i to the people they interviewed that were still doing undergrad.

ReputationRep:
    Hi!
    I'm holding two offers for two different degrees: biomedical sciences(anatomy) and medical physiology. Do you know which degree do GEM unis prefer?I want to pick the uni that could get me into GEM..
    Thanks a lot

ReputationRep:
    To all those applying for UKCAT courses - UKCAT registration opens tomorrow so don't forget!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DavidYorkshireFTW)
    Don't do this, just do volunteering for a charity or hospice or hospital, GapMedic cost a lot and is unnecessary, especially when embarking on a course as exorbitantly prices as Graduate-entry medicine.
    Save money don't spend!
    Everything else look fine though, what degree are you doing?
    **UPDATE***

First year is going good, nearly at then end, 4 weeks till exams. Anyway i was just making a plan of attack for this summer. I want to do the GAMSAT, I tried the UKCAT 2 years ago and i got like 580; unimpressive. My plan is to spend the summer revising for the GAMSAT 4 hours a day, 6 days a week for 12 weeks, in order to take it for September 14th or just do 3/4 hours a day, 4 days a week till march and go to IRELAND to take it. With the iRELAND plan it gives me more time, but second year Biomedical science is probably way harder and I don't want to sacrifice my degree. However i also plan on trying to get work part time (30 hours pw) during second year as a health care assistance in a care home, if not paid then volunteer (10/15 hours pw). I know a friend who worked the whole of sixth form as a health care assistance (nursing home) and she can probably put in a good word for me. My GCSE's were great, but my A levels weren't, retook half of year 12 so i did an A2 an 3 AS in year 13, then finished the 3 As in "year 14" , this is because i refused to continue with history to A2 i wasn't able to continue A2 chemistry because i failed that in AS (my school was complicated), anyway my A2s were B in Maths and Psychology and C in them and Bio. I just wanted to hear any words of wisdom on my idea and any better alternative. i wanna leave the UKCAT for summer going into third year.

ReputationRep:
    OK, so this may be a really silly Qs, but i'm confused, so please help.

What is the difference between a healthcare assistant and a care assistant??

are they the same, just different names, because the job description look the same? Will either be good for work experience?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 123ash)
    OK, so this may be a really silly Qs, but i'm confused, so please help.

What is the difference between a healthcare assistant and a care assistant??

are they the same, just different names, because the job description look the same? Will either be good for work experience?
    Care assistants usually work in care homes, they focus on personal care e.g. Bathing etc. Healthcare assistant work in hospitals and care for more sicker patients. as well as personal care, they take patient's vitals such as blood pressure and blood glucose. Both are great as work experience for medical school.

Ive worked as both care assistant and healthcare assistant. I preferred being a HCA though as I was exposed to patients suffering from a variety of diseases and saw how doctors and nurses managed their care.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by asarev)
    Care assistants usually work in care homes, they focus on personal care e.g. Bathing etc. Healthcare assistant work in hospitals and care for more sicker patients. as well as personal care, they take patient's vitals such as blood pressure and blood glucose. Both are great as work experience for medical school.

Ive worked as both care assistant and healthcare assistant. I preferred being a HCA though as I was exposed to patients suffering from a variety of diseases and saw how doctors and nurses managed their care.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you, HCA assistant is what i would like to do too then. But lets see what happens.

I am volunteering in an A&E department and shadowing a GP so the care assistant or HCA experience isn't really for the application, thats just more for me.

My degree that I'm to finish in a few weeks is 70% clinical, so for the last 3 years i've lived in a hospital (sort of). So maybe a care home setting will be different. I previously have volunteered for hospices, and day care centres. So a care home will fill the gap.

Thanks again for the clarification.

ReputationRep:
    I just wanted to put this document I made out there. Its a compilation of the different medical schools and their Graduate entry information (or as much as their website would give away!), obviously I have tailored it to my own situation. I hope that it might be useful to others in terms of understanding if they have a chance at their desired school! Let me know if this is of any use
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: docx Medical Schools.docx (21.2 KB, 234 views)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RadStudent2016)
    I just wanted to put this document I made out there. Its a compilation of the different medical schools and their Graduate entry information (or as much as their website would give away!), obviously I have tailored it to my own situation. I hope that it might be useful to others in terms of understanding if they have a chance at their desired school! Let me know if this is of any use
    Decent. You should add Durham:
    https://www.dur.ac.uk/school.health/...issions/entry/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elemirandola)
    Hi!
    I'm holding two offers for two different degrees: biomedical sciences(anatomy) and medical physiology. Do you know which degree do GEM unis prefer?I want to pick the uni that could get me into GEM..
    Thanks a lot
    Doesn't matter they are pretty similar, as long as it is science-y (if you want more GEM choice) it doesn't matter what the title is, just enjoy your undergrad!

ReputationRep:
    hello everyone!

I'm an EU candidate with a BA in English studies with an MA in English Language teaching I'm 31 and applied for medicine long time ago but failed and gave up, then realised it was a huge mistake. I used to work as a teacher but I've always had second thoughts about this career choice and recently decided to do everything possible to change it. This time I am really determined and won't give up easily I'm taking UKCAT this summer and considering GAMSAT as well. I'll be applying for Warwick and Newcastle for sure, then maybe Nottingham and St George's or Dundee. I volunteered a bit in a hospice and shadowed doctors at urology department, looking forward to do some more volunteering/shadowing in the nearest future. I'm really anxious about UKCAT, escpecially the AR and QR sections, I'm way too slow (hope I still can improve thou ).
    Lovely to meet you guys, wish you all best of luck! xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RadStudent2016)
    thank you very much for sharing the document, it'll be very helpful for me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lcsurfer)
    Doesn't matter they are pretty similar, as long as it is science-y (if you want more GEM choice) it doesn't matter what the title is, just enjoy your undergrad!
    thanks a lot!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by followyourdream)
    hello everyone!

I'm an EU candidate with a BA in English studies with an MA in English Language teaching I'm 31 and applied for medicine long time ago but failed and gave up, then realised it was a huge mistake. I used to work as a teacher but I've always had second thoughts about this career choice and recently decided to do everything possible to change it. This time I am really determined and won't give up easily I'm taking UKCAT this summer and considering GAMSAT as well. I'll be applying for Warwick and Newcastle for sure, then maybe Nottingham and St George's or Dundee. I volunteered a bit in a hospice and shadowed doctors at urology department, looking forward to do some more volunteering/shadowing in the nearest future. I'm really anxious about UKCAT, escpecially the AR and QR sections, I'm way too slow (hope I still can improve thou ).
    Lovely to meet you guys, wish you all best of luck! xx
    Good luck with your application! Determination is key, the whole process is designed to put you off and make you feel you aren't good enough.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oliw16)
    To all those applying for UKCAT courses - UKCAT registration opens tomorrow so don't forget!
    Am I correct in thinking that this is where I register for the UKCAT?

Once, I have done this....will the universities get my scores automatically?

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I am slightly confused about how it works in terms of graduate entry medicine. Should anyone have advice for me it would be really appreciated as I want to be applying for medicine in the coming October. (:

Looking into medical schools, I shall be applying for graduate schools that only have the degree classification requirement and not A-Level or GCSE's.
    1) I am currently studying Biomedical Science and I am in my second year, planning to apply for Med in my third year. I am a bit confused as to how it works in terms of applying. If I am predicted a First Class based on my grades in second year, would that mean the university I am applying to would base me entirely on my predicted grade?
    2) Finding work experience is showing to be particularly difficult, I have been looking for work experience and I shall be applying to be a HCA (healthcare assistant) during this summer and I shall try and shadow a doctor in this time too. Would this be enough work experience or would I also be required to volunteer (for example) at a care home aswell?
    3) I want to apply for Med in October 2016 for 2017 entry. Am I able to sit both the GAMSAT and UKCAT this summer so I am able to apply to different universities? A friend advised me to only do 1 of the two tests as it will help me to concentrate on that particular one and achieve higher results. I am not sure whether I should do both or stick with one.

If anyone has any advice it would be much appreciated!!

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Provided all other factors are the same, would a university prefer an applicant with a 1st from Cambridge over and applicant with a 1st from Warwick, or does the university not matter?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by f.loco)
    Provided all other factors are the same, would a university prefer an applicant with a 1st from Cambridge over and applicant with a 1st from Warwick, or does the university not matter?
    It doesn't matter I don't think, and there would be a lot of stick if that was that case! I think GEM is trying to promote access, and favouring certain university graduates over others would explicitly go against this.

I applied to Barts this year with a 2.i from Cambridge (and put on my UCAS that I was 1 mark off a 1st) and was rejected pre-interview like all the other applicants holding the same undergraduate classification.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.