Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Do you need to be predicted a first class to be considered by Barts and Warwick? I'm really upset hearing this as I think my prediction will be 2'1

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellen111)
    Do you need to be predicted a first class to be considered by Barts and Warwick? I'm really upset hearing this as I think my prediction will be 2'1
    Warwick accepts 2.1 or 2.2 with masters/phd

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by f.loco)
    Provided all other factors are the same, would a university prefer an applicant with a 1st from Cambridge over and applicant with a 1st from Warwick, or does the university not matter?
    It really DEOSN't matter which uni you went too or what degree you do (ob uni dependant)... I got a 2.1 from an ex-poly and admitted to GEM alongside people with 2.1's and firsts from Cambridge. Academics make up the tiniest proportion

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys
    I have just booked my UKCAT

Hows everyone else doing?

Need to devise a strategy for revision as i am still going to be on placement till august.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IS93)
    Hi guys
    I have just booked my UKCAT

Hows everyone else doing?

Need to devise a strategy for revision as I am still going to be on placement till august.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Haha same doing a lab placement Mon-Friday till September ish. Was thinking evenings and weekends when I have the chance but working as well I'm doomed.

I'm going to use the medify materials alongside all the books seems reasonable priced but not sure about the Kaplan course £330 is a lot so cant decide

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 12hakhkh)
    Hi,
    I am slightly confused about how it works in terms of graduate entry medicine. Should anyone have advice for me it would be really appreciated as I want to be applying for medicine in the coming October. (:

Looking into medical schools, I shall be applying for graduate schools that only have the degree classification requirement and not A-Level or GCSE's.
    1) I am currently studying Biomedical Science and I am in my second year, planning to apply for Med in my third year. I am a bit confused as to how it works in terms of applying. If I am predicted a First Class based on my grades in second year, would that mean the university I am applying to would base me entirely on my predicted grade?
    2) Finding work experience is showing to be particularly difficult, I have been looking for work experience and I shall be applying to be a HCA (healthcare assistant) during this summer and I shall try and shadow a doctor in this time too. Would this be enough work experience or would I also be required to volunteer (for example) at a care home aswell?
    3) I want to apply for Med in October 2016 for 2017 entry. Am I able to sit both the GAMSAT and UKCAT this summer so I am able to apply to different universities? A friend advised me to only do 1 of the two tests as it will help me to concentrate on that particular one and achieve higher results. I am not sure whether I should do both or stick with one.

If anyone has any advice it would be much appreciated!!

Thanks!
    Try to apply to agency HCAs much easier to get especially if you have less experience as they normally provide training but you do need to show some form of patient care experience. If not then you can pay for a full training at the agency but most are expensive so try to use the experience you've got

Don't worry too much about shadowing a doctor if you can get it great but if not I wouldn't worry. Don't focus too much on hospitals- almost impossible from my experience but sending letters to GPs are much easier.
    More importantly patient care is the best form of experience I would definitely try carehomes somewhere where you have contact with patients.

Yes that's how it works I'm guessing your offered a place conditionally provided you have a 2.1 or 1st-whatever the uni works and then accepted when you receive your degree result.

I'm doing the UKCAT first- early August putting all my efforts in to it- and if it doesn't well I revise either the Gamsat or BMAT after. A bit riskly but hopefully itll work :P If you have free time maybe sit the UKCAT in July to give yourself more time to revise the other tests if the UKCAT doesn't work out.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone have experience with oxbridge GEM? I was wondering what they put the most weight on in your application?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Msadiq)
    Haha same doing a lab placement Mon-Friday till September ish. Was thinking evenings and weekends when I have the chance but working as well I'm doomed.

I'm going to use the medify materials alongside all the books seems reasonable priced but not sure about the Kaplan course £330 is a lot so cant decide
    I did UKCAT during more than full time work with 10 days prep, you will be fine! 50% of it is confidence, just practice from the get go, don't get freaked out and repeat the questions until you get them all right

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Msadiq)

Why is the placement so long? I'd advise you to cut down on the duration because the extra weeks/months are not really going to boost your application by much. Plus, I think after about a month or less, you'd have seen/learned everything there is to gather. Prioritise the test, because no matter how extensive your experience is, unis won't even look at you if you don't meet the entry-test cutoff score.

ReputationRep:
    hey guys I need some suggestions here :
    so i got a 2:1 for my biomedical science degree and am right now working in a lab full time and helping out in some day care centre for kids which i arrange sciences classes for them as well as being their aftershool tutor. I took 5 Alevels including maths and all the science subjects which I got A*ABB. Planning to apply for GEM this year and want to know what i should do to enhance my success rate in getting into med school ? I feel like doctors do not count lab work and all those experineces into account because most of the times when there is no clinical significance :/ . Sorry for this lengthy message but thanks !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aliciadumtee)
    hey guys I need some suggestions here :
    so i got a 2:1 for my biomedical science degree and am right now working in a lab full time and helping out in some day care centre for kids which i arrange sciences classes for them as well as being their aftershool tutor. I took 5 Alevels including maths and all the science subjects which I got A*ABB. Planning to apply for GEM this year and want to know what i should do to enhance my success rate in getting into med school ? I feel like doctors do not count lab work and all those experineces into account because most of the times when there is no clinical significance :/ . Sorry for this lengthy message but thanks !
    Hi

I would do some research into your chosen medical schools you would like to apply for as some have a minimum requirement of works experience such as (Warwick- 70hours from x2 experiences). Lab is an experience however most people do some type of clinical such as healthcare assistant which enables you to show your caring role and understand the elements of inter professional practice. I would apply to local hospitals and care homes. Also if you know any work professional who could recommend you to a doctor that would be great. Im an BSc ODP 2nd year student and my training is in anaesthetics scrub and recovery and this experience cant directly count towards my app even though i see patients day in day out as its part of my degree.

So i volunteered and

-shadowed a consultant pathologist in performing a post mortem
    I have done one to one care in a care home as health care
    I have also done a placement with paramedics on front line.

In preparation of the UKCAT it is vital that you make a strategy. Its more aptitude than achievement

I wouldn't focus on DA as its a new subtest which you will not receive a score for. Timing is key.

Hope that helps

Best of luck

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I keep having UKCAT-based nightmares.

I'm going to one of those recruitment day things tomorrow for healthcare assistants and I'm so nervous about it. I know I have to do those tests and then an interview if I pass the tests and I'm scared I'm going to fail. I've just got awful test anxiety.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paniking_and_not_revising)
    I keep having UKCAT-based nightmares.

I'm going to one of those recruitment day things tomorrow for healthcare assistants and I'm so nervous about it. I know I have to do those tests and then an interview if I pass the tests and I'm scared I'm going to fail. I've just got awful test anxiety.
    Lol the HCA tests could literally be done by a 10 year old. They're making sure you can spell correctly and do basic maths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liam__)
    Lol the HCA tests could literally be done by a 10 year old. They're making sure you can spell correctly and do basic maths.
    Yeah I searched healthcare assistant test on google and most comments tend to be about it being easy. I'm just worried I'm going to walk into the test and forget how to do basic addition.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paniking_and_not_revising)
    I'm going to one of those recruitment day things tomorrow for healthcare assistants and I'm so nervous about it.
    Good luck, hope it all goes well and you get the job.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quilverine)
    Good luck, hope it all goes well and you get the job.
    Thanks! I got the job! Pending occupational health clearance and references of course.

I hope it's part time though but I don't know when to mention this because they were only categorising us based on whether we were permanent or bank. And I don't know yet which ward I'll be on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pharmacologist)
    Anyone have experience with oxbridge GEM? I was wondering what they put the most weight on in your application?
    I'm wondering the same. Can anybody share information about their experiences?

I know that Oxford are not as demanding as Cambridge, but to what degree I am unsure!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lifeistoff)
    I'm wondering the same. Can anybody share information about their experiences?

I know that Oxford are not as demanding as Cambridge, but to what degree I am unsure!
    Both require you to have competitive A Levels in addition to degree class. Cambridge don't have an entry exam so you need a very good reference and personal statement to get a shot which is a bit more subjective than screening by BMAT. Ultimately though they have 20:1 applications to place so they can pretty much ask for anything.

I wrote to both when I first started down the path to GEM and Oxford seemed to really be after strong science-based academics and Cambridge seemed a little more interested in experiences but still wanted me to sit A Level Chemistry and I just didn't have the time. We are fortunate that our medical schools are all quite different in terms of who they are looking for, there's no reason not to apply to Oxbridge if your strength lies in academic attainment. If you're more of a "widening participation" candidate then SGUL, Warwick and Swansea all seem welcoming to more alternative applications.

ReputationRep:
    That's my worry, the A-Level part!

I have mitigating circumstances for my frankly embarrassing A-Levels as I had major spinal surgery a month before my exams so missed out on basically the entire Easter term of A2. I have a strong degree so far, achieving firsts at 80-100% and I also have strong GCSEs (13 A*-C). I'm hoping that this would be able to prove that I am a high achieving academic (just not where my a-levels are concerned 😂).

I am trying to resit some new a-levels but my old sixth form don't seem too keen. I will enquire further though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lifeistoff)
    That's my worry, the A-Level part!

I have mitigating circumstances for my frankly embarrassing A-Levels as I had major spinal surgery a month before my exams so missed out on basically the entire Easter term of A2. I have a strong degree so far, achieving firsts at 80-100% and I also have strong GCSEs (13 A*-C). I'm hoping that this would be able to prove that I am a high achieving academic (just not where my a-levels are concerned 😂).

I am trying to resit some new a-levels but my old sixth form don't seem too keen. I will enquire further though.
    Oxford are pretty clear about a good degree not being a substitute for A Levels that don't meet their threshold BUT write them a nice email, attach your degree transcript and a letter that confirms your medical MCs and let them give you a clear, informed idea of whether it would be a wasted application, same for Cambridge.

Do it asap because they have early deadlines and a secondary application to UCAS.

Kings and Barts would be fine with a strong degree but poor A Levels (So long as your degree covers the bio/chem components they want).

Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.