The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine 2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by blackraven
Hey guys so I got and confirmed my offer from Kings a few weeks ago, and I have a question about funding. I know that the £9000 tuition fees can be paid in installments i.e 3000 per term. Does that mean that it would be possible for student finance to cover the first 2 terms and then i won't need to actually pay the £3350 that we self fund until the third term?

No. You'll be asked to start paying your money from the term you start. Either in one lump sum or split into two/three. But it doesn't work the way you're suggesting.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ForestCat
No. You'll be asked to start paying your money from the term you start. Either in one lump sum or split into two/three. But it doesn't work the way you're suggesting.

Posted from TSR Mobile

but if it's split into 3, how else could it work? do you pay £1155 per term and then student finance pays the remainder?
(edited 7 years ago)
but if it's split into 3, how else could it work? do you pay £1155 per term and then student finance pays the remainder?

The student finance payments are split into terms too. But like I said, you either pay all in one go or pay in instalments. I chose to pay all in one go and just be done with it.
The university will be contacting you soon enough to organise payment.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ForestCat
The student finance payments are split into terms too. But like I said, you either pay all in one go or pay in instalments. I chose to pay all in one go and just be done with it.
The university will be contacting you soon enough to organise payment.

Posted from TSR Mobile

okay, thank you :smile:
Hey guys so I got and confirmed my offer from Kings a few weeks ago, and I have a question about funding. I know that the £9000 tuition fees can be paid in installments i.e 3000 per term. Does that mean that it would be possible for student finance to cover the first 2 terms and then i won't need to actually pay the £3350 that we self fund until the third term?

Is this for the GPEP?
At KCL they asked me for the full 3,5k in one installment by january. You'd have to contact them to pay in instalments as i know some people who got locked out their uni stuff for not paying their tuition fees *
Original post by lcsurfer
Is this for the GPEP?
At KCL they asked me for the full 3,5k in one installment by january. You'd have to contact them to pay in instalments as i know some people who got locked out their uni stuff for not paying their tuition fees *

Technically the same at Leicester, but anyone who was a bit slow to pay got offered to split the payments.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 786
What ukcat score is competitive enough for a interview this year for grad courses do you guys reckon, considering there is one less section?
Original post by lcsurfer
Is this for the GPEP?

yes it's for GPEP and thank you.
Original post by vka94
What ukcat score is competitive enough for a interview this year for grad courses do you guys reckon, considering there is one less section?

I have no idea. I went to the southampton open day and was told that because they will only be assessing three sections the scores will be much lower and therefore not comparable to previous years. They told us they could not give us an indication of what to aim for, or a cut off due to this. Disappointing.

Will just be aiming for high 700s in each sections.
Guys I seriously need some help,

I can't decide whether to go ahead and study biomed in Warwick then apply as a graduate, or take a gap year and reapply?

What do I need to consider before making my decision?

Is biomed route unnecessary because it's just long and (tedious)? Also, please can you guys that studied biomed say in your reply because I'd really like to talk to you!

Any help would be much appreciated!
Original post by f.loco
Guys I seriously need some help,

I can't decide whether to go ahead and study biomed in Warwick then apply as a graduate, or take a gap year and reapply?

What do I need to consider before making my decision?

Is biomed route unnecessary because it's just long and (tedious)? Also, please can you guys that studied biomed say in your reply because I'd really like to talk to you!

Any help would be much appreciated!

I did BMedSci at UOB.. I was in the same position as you before I started. It mainly depends on what mentality you currently have. I really enjoyed my time there purely because I wasn't working as hard as I could and it give me a bit more freedom to enjoy myself.

If you think you can work for 5 straight years now, then go for it. But I personally feel much better off spending those 3 years there before going on to a Med degree now.
Original post by Rosser1994
I did BMedSci at UOB.. I was in the same position as you before I started. It mainly depends on what mentality you currently have. I really enjoyed my time there purely because I wasn't working as hard as I could and it give me a bit more freedom to enjoy myself.

If you think you can work for 5 straight years now, then go for it. But I personally feel much better off spending those 3 years there before going on to a Med degree now.

Hey thanks!

I currently feel like I am up for the challenge academically and mentally as I feel mature enough to manage and organise myself well in med school. So I'm ready in that department, is there anything else I need to consider or is that it, if so, gap year then good idea?

Also, I've heard that the chances of getting a place in GEM is very low, much lower than straight school leavers, is there any truth to this?

Furthermore, how did you find biomed, did you enjoy it? Was the content you learnt interesting? How much lab work did you do and did you enjoy it? What about the workload, did you feel any pressure? How do you feel about GEM, are you more confident that you're gonna get in than you were straight from school?

Sorry for so many questions! But please, if you don't mind can you answer them as this is one of the biggest decisions of my life considering my family circumstances which is not good.

Thanks once again:smile:
Original post by f.loco
Hey thanks!

I currently feel like I am up for the challenge academically and mentally as I feel mature enough to manage and organise myself well in med school. So I'm ready in that department, is there anything else I need to consider or is that it, if so, gap year then good idea?

Also, I've heard that the chances of getting a place in GEM is very low, much lower than straight school leavers, is there any truth to this?

Furthermore, how did you find biomed, did you enjoy it? Was the content you learnt interesting? How much lab work did you do and did you enjoy it? What about the workload, did you feel any pressure? How do you feel about GEM, are you more confident that you're gonna get in than you were straight from school?

Sorry for so many questions! But please, if you don't mind can you answer them as this is one of the biggest decisions of my life considering my family circumstances which is not good.

Thanks once again:smile:

I don't think the chances are lower personally, I had 3 interviews last year (just didn't perform on the days) compared to 1 before my degree.

It's all going to vary from uni to uni, with the degree being aimed at lab work, so there'll be quite a bit of time spent in the lab. I was lucky enough to do my dissertation on the respiratory system and he tests associated with that, so I got to spend 10 weeks in a hospital, gave me plenty of prep.

The work load wasn't bad, I guess it didn't bother me as much because it wasn't the area I was looking to go into. But I'm massively better off than those who haven't done a science related degree. I've got a much broader and in depth basis than those who've studied art for example. I personally would choose BMedSci again before doing Med, I'm much better off because of it.
Original post by Rosser1994
I don't think the chances are lower personally, I had 3 interviews last year (just didn't perform on the days) compared to 1 before my degree.

It's all going to vary from uni to uni, with the degree being aimed at lab work, so there'll be quite a bit of time spent in the lab. I was lucky enough to do my dissertation on the respiratory system and he tests associated with that, so I got to spend 10 weeks in a hospital, gave me plenty of prep.

The work load wasn't bad, I guess it didn't bother me as much because it wasn't the area I was looking to go into. But I'm massively better off than those who haven't done a science related degree. I've got a much broader and in depth basis than those who've studied art for example. I personally would choose BMedSci again before doing Med, I'm much better off because of it.

Thanks so much, that has helped me lean more towards the biomed option. May I ask, are you worried about the extra costs involved with GEM? Also, one thing I am not sure about, can you apply to GEM in year 1, year 2 and year 3 with predicted results?
Original post by f.loco
Thanks so much, that has helped me lean more towards the biomed option. May I ask, are you worried about the extra costs involved with GEM? Also, one thing I am not sure about, can you apply to GEM in year 1, year 2 and year 3 with predicted results?

Have you tried looking yourself for the answers to any of these questions? Being able to do your own research is going to be pretty vital as a Bmed of as a med student, might as well start now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi!

I'm a bit late to this post but I am applying for Graduate entry medicine for 2017 entry :smile: I currently study Neuroscience and am revising for my UKCAT a the moment... anyone got any tips?*:h: * I've found reading this post really helpful:biggrin:*
Original post by Themightylaa
Have you tried looking yourself for the answers to any of these questions? Being able to do your own research is going to be pretty vital as a Bmed of as a med student, might as well start now.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for your advice. Yes I have actually, that information was new to me, that's why I asked. ButI took your advice, and looked it up on the Medic Portal, and got my answer:smile:
Original post by f.loco
Thank you for your advice. Yes I have actually, that information was new to me, that's why I asked. ButI took your advice, and looked it up on the Medic Portal, and got my answer:smile:

:colondollar: Glad we could be of help!

If you need any more Qs answered give us a shout!
Original post by f.loco

Problem solved then 😄

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by The Medic Portal
:colondollar: Glad we could be of help!

If you need any more Qs answered give us a shout!

Original post by Themightylaa
Problem solved then 😄

Posted from TSR Mobile

Medic Portal,you are an awesome service! Thanks, you've helped me and my friends sooo much! thanks! Yes, I will definately get in touch when I need help, thanks for the welcoming attitude!

Themightylaa, yep, thanks to your advice. Problem indeed solved.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending