Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CharlieJay1903)
    Just popping back again to say hello to everyone!

Time is ticking on....getting very close to GAMSAT and I have ukcat the week before too!

Nail biting times...

Good luck everyone xx*
    Close to GAMSAT? Isn't it on the 14th Sep?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AdamCW)
    Close to GAMSAT? Isn't it on the 14th Sep?
    Warning: Your definition of 'close' may vary depending on how much of a worrier you are 😉😂

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yes you're right.....Feels close!!! Particularly when working full time!

We're almost in August after all 😁*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by panic_merchant)
    I'm about to go into my final year and applying this October for 2017 entry, you know how you have to apply through UCAS, who wrote your reference? Like a personal tutor? Worried that mine doesn't know me that well :eek:
    Yeah, my tutor wrote it, and tbf i didnt know him too well either. I found some guidelines that he could use as a framework which i suggested would be useful as well as what UCAS expects from a reference to save him the trouble of looking up stuff, which was the following:

Your reference should comment on:
    If you have not yet graduated, your predicted grade*
    How prepared you are to study medicine
    Your potential for studying a full-time accelerated graduate-entry level programme
    Your engagement with and success in tackling new and challenging learning opportunities
    * Important: Your predicted grade should be from a member of academic staff at your current institution if you are still studying. Your referee should indicate your predicted grade in the relevant section of the UCAS form not in the body of the reference. If you fail to provide us with a suitable prediction from a suitable referee by 20 November 2015, we may withdraw your application.

I have also added the advice UCAS give:

The student's academic performance in their post-16 education
    Their potential for academic success in higher education
    Why the course they have chosen is suited to them
    Any personal qualities which will benefit them at university, such as skills, aptitude, enthusiasm
    What they can bring to the university, such as extra-curricular activities and interests.
    You will not be able to read the whole application and you should contact the applicant to check which courses they have applied to, if you do not already know. Please note that you should not include a direct reference to any particular university or college, because at this stage we do not allow them to see the identity of any other institutions to which an applicant has applied and they will all read your reference.
    If you taught them before they started their break from education, please give details and describe how they compared with others in their class.

Describe their suitability for their chosen courses
    The most important part of your reference is your assessment of the applicant's suitability for the higher education courses they have chosen. We recommend that you consider including:
    their proposed career ambitions, attitude, motivation and commitment. If relevant, your opinion of their suitability for this career path
    their past achievement and current activities, with particular reference to subjects relating to the courses for which they are applying
    any supplementary information about their qualifications and study
    any relevant related skills such as employment, work experience, voluntary work
    any commitments of which you are aware that might prevent the applicant from attending an interview on a particular day
    any factors, such as personal circumstances, that may have affected, or might affect their performance. Information about any special needs and other requirements. Do not give information about an applicant's health or disability without their agreement.
    Students are asked to state any disabilities or special needs in a separate section of the application. Students are not obliged to disclose such information on their application; however, early disclosure gives the universities and colleges more time to prepare and arrange the support that a student may need. Some referees may wish to mention the student's learning difference or disability in an academic context, such as how they currently cope in employment or otherwise.
    Many universities and colleges provide details of the selection criteria and attributes they are looking for in their prospectuses, websites, or specific entry requirements for particular courses. If you know the courses for which they are applying, this will be a helpful starting point, particularly if you are writing a reference for a course in a subject area with which you are unfamiliar.
    When writing a reference for any applicant, including those outside the UK, please remember that, under the Data Protection Act, the applicant can ask for a copy of the reference and any other personal information that we have about them.

Predicted grades
    Each pending qualification that the applicant has entered on their application will be listed in the reference section.
    Please select / enter a predicted grade for each pending qualification.
    If you are unable to provide predicted grades, please tick the box 'I am unable to provide any predicted grades'. An email will be sent to the applicant to inform them of this.
    If the applicant does not have any pending qualifications you will not be asked for predicted grades.

How to provide the reference
    The reference should be written using a standard word-processing package and should not exceed 4,000 characters (this includes spaces) or 47 lines (this includes blank lines), whichever is the shorter. You cannot use bold, italics or underlining in the reference; if these types of formatting are used, they will be removed from the text when your reference is pasted into the application and saved.
    When you are entering the reference into the application system, we recommend that you work without taking substantial breaks because the system will time-out after 35 minutes of inactivity. The countdown on screen displays how much time you have left before it times out and closes. For this reason we recommend that you prepare your reference in a word-processing package and then copy and paste it into the box. You cannot save your reference in draft form and then return to it for amendment later.

Once you have submitted your reference, your password will be marked as expired and will no longer give you access to the site.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by juno96)
    I'm torn between applying for unis with the same entry test or doing a mix of both, UKCAT as well as GAMSAT (to give me more options). From experience, or just opinion, does anyone find it a wiser choice to focus on just one entry exam? i.e. only apply for only UKCAT unis? I imagine all the focus would help in getting a higher score rather than spreading myself too thinly on doing both.

All advice much appreciated
    Personally, I'd want to sit both so that I have a fall back option if one is a disaster. And unless you work full time or something and are super busy, I don't see the logic of focussing on one exam only, esp the UKCAT. Because I've found with the UKCAT you can only improve to a point (after practising loads), so about 1-2 months prep is enough for UKCAT

ReputationRep:
    With a UKCAT of 730 here. I know it's competitive but it could still not make the cut. What do you guys think? Which are good Unis to apply for?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IS93)
    Hi guys
    Those who have taken their UKCAT how did you find the AR compared to medify and the revision guides like the ISC 1000

Im finding the patterns so hard on medify

Posted from TSR Mobile
    me too, just never seem to see the pattern*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Themightylaa)
    Warning: Your definition of 'close' may vary depending on how much of a worrier you are 😉😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
    😂😂😂

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VARRRDAQ)
    With a UKCAT of 730 here. I know it's competitive but it could still not make the cut. What do you guys think? Which are good Unis to apply for?
    There are only a few graduate-entry courses which require UKCAT, so your options are already quite limited.

Barts
    KCL
    Newcastle
    Southampton
    Warwick

Given past years' requirements, Warwick would probably be a good choice. KCL has historically had the highest, but I think last year there were some candidates invited to interview with around the 715 mark, maybe due to the fact that they are only accepting science graduates now. Newcastle and Southampton UKCAT cutoffs have tended to lie in between KCL and Warwick.

As for Barts, I'd be a little wary, as 99% of people last cycle with a predicted/achieved 2.i (and not a 1st) were rejected pre-interview, regardless of Master's/UKCAT score. So unless you are on track for a 1st I'd be quite careful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ah639)
    There are only a few graduate-entry courses which require UKCAT, so your options are already quite limited.

Barts
    KCL
    Newcastle
    Southampton
    Warwick

Given past years' requirements, Warwick would probably be a good choice. KCL has historically had the highest, but I think last year there were some candidates invited to interview with around the 715 mark, maybe due to the fact that they are only accepting science graduates now. Newcastle and Southampton UKCAT cutoffs have tended to lie in between KCL and Warwick.

As for Barts, I'd be a little wary, as 99% of people last cycle with a predicted/achieved 2.i (and not a 1st) were rejected pre-interview, regardless of Master's/UKCAT score. So unless you are on track for a 1st I'd be quite careful.

Not to worry, I am applying to GAMSAT unis also and UG courses too

Do you know what UG courses would be good to apply to with my UKCAT score?

ReputationRep:
    What things are people reading about to prepare for the essay section? (Apart from AC Grayling, newspapers etc). Like any particular websites which are informative on themes?

ReputationRep:
    Am I right in saying, that for Barts GEM having predicted a first is more important than UKCAT score? Last year they accepted a UKCAT of 2500 for applicants who were predicted a 1st.

ReputationRep:
    Not to worry, I am applying to GAMSAT unis also and UG courses too

Do you know what UG courses would be good to apply to with my UKCAT score?
    Any of them, with that UKCAT score you're more or less guaranteed interview as long as you meet all the other criteria (though the same thing applies for Barts 5-year too!)

ReputationRep:
    Great UKCAT score!! I'm so jealous in a nice way (does that even make sense, lol)

I better just keeps at practicing!!

ReputationRep:
    Newcastle was 720 last year.

ReputationRep:
    Am I right in saying, that for Barts GEM having predicted a first is more important than UKCAT score? Last year they accepted a UKCAT of 2500 for applicants who were predicted a 1st.
    Sort of, yes. There were people that had much higher scores than me (747.5 for me) that didn't get interviewed because they had a 2:1.

ReputationRep:
    Just sat the UKCAT and got 730. I am so relieved as I only got 615 last year! The only issue is that I stopped concentrating on SJT and got a band 3 . I know that unis use SJT differently so does anyone think it will be a massive problem? I have a 1st in UG (science) and will either have a high merit or a distinction in MSc by the time I apply.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Medici103)
    Just sat the UKCAT and got 730. I am so relieved as I only got 615 last year! The only issue is that I stopped concentrating on SJT and got a band 3 . I know that unis use SJT differently so does anyone think it will be a massive problem? I have a 1st in UG (science) and will either have a high merit or a distinction in MSc by the time I apply.
    Congrats! A few use them, but I think most don't so you might be fine with band 3

ReputationRep:
    Congrats! A few use them, but I think most don't so you might be fine with band 3
    Thank you. I feel a bit better having gone through the various websites to see how it may be used. Warwick doesn't use it at all so hurrah for that!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Medici103)
    Thank you. I feel a bit better having gone through the various websites to see how it may be used. Warwick doesn't use it at all so hurrah for that!
    Nice What did you get for VR? I can't apply to Warwick because of my VR score :/

Poll
Do you prefer hot dogs or burgers?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.